• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**2007 World Cup**

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I suppose common sense says Oz, although I can't see McGrath hanging on til then & those are some pretty big shoes...

I think The Windies have proved last summer that they can compete over 4 games, whether anyone can come up to the Aussie's level over a WC is more debatable. Tho of course, you only need to beat 'em once if it's in the Semi or the Final!

A Super Six spot for us would be a pleasent change too... 8-)

thierry henry

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Will Cairns still be around?

Of course if Bond comes back and has 18 months or so cricket behind him that would make a huge difference.
Cairns may well be planning it as his swansong. With all the injuries and interruptions it would be amazing to think he could be there, but he seems, oddly enough, to be playing almost as well as ever now. He's even bowling with a bit of a spring in his step. So I'm still hopeful he will be contributing at much the same level in 2 years time.

On a similar note, Chris Harris has been ridiculed for his often stated desire to make it to the 2007 World Cup, but he still has something of a chance (although he may also have played his last ODI- who knows?). Anyway, it would be the 5th World Cup for both of them, a huge effort.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Err yea, except you didn't in the Champions Trophy... was kinda boring and one-sided that game really...
Exactly, makes beating you all the more satisfying next time around...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think Pakistan will really improve as a one day team. The team has good youngsters, real talent.

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Bell, Pietersen keep developing, with Freddy, Strauss,Trescos we will be in with a very good chance. Still worried about the bowling though, but I think if Hoggy and Jones can adapt to the one dayers that'll sort itself out.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Because the Super 8 will in all likelihood be the eight respectable sides, and then recreate the highly successful structure of the 1991 World Cup.

Deja moo

International Captain
I think Australia miht find it tough going if McGrath retires before the WC. Should be a special WC ...the last Sachin and Lara would play in.

Blaze

Banned
Pratyush said:
I think Pakistan will really improve as a one day team. The team has good youngsters, real talent.

Pakistan will continue to struggle for consistancy. They are a chance at any World cup. It just depends what team turns up

Blaze

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Because the Super 8 will in all likelihood be the eight respectable sides, and then recreate the highly successful structure of the 1991 World Cup.

I thought that world cup was in 92. Was it dec/jan of either year? I wish with that structure they had have scrapped the finals and just given the world cup to the team at the top after playing everyone.. mainly because NZ would have won. But also because it gives a greater chance of finding the best side at the tournament

Deja moo

International Captain
Blaze said:
I thought that world cup was in 92. Was it dec/jan of either year? I wish with that structure they had have scrapped the finals and just given the world cup to the team at the top after playing everyone.. mainly because NZ would have won. But also because it gives a greater chance of finding the best side at the tournament
Thats not how World Cups in any sport are conducted. And shouldnt.

Blaze

Banned
Deja moo said:
I think Australia miht find it tough going if McGrath retires before the WC. Should be a special WC ...the last Sachin and Lara would play in.

Yes and many others like cairns arguably the third best cricketer ever for NZ. I have a feeling Aussie won't win this one. My predicted finishes, albiet more heart than head thinking would be
1. NZ
2. Aus
3. WI
4. Eng
5. Pak
6. India
7. Sri Lanka
8. SA

Blaze

Banned
Deja moo said:
Thats not how World Cups in any sport are conducted. And shouldnt.
Yes, yes i know. It was just so frustrating that it was our best chance to win a world cup and we were the best side at that tournament and Crowey was on fire. If he hadn't have pulled his hammy I am pretty confident we would have won but it's in the past and Deja moo you are right World Cup's shouldn't run like that

Deja moo

International Captain
Blaze said:
Yes, yes i know. It was just so frustrating that it was our best chance to win a world cup and we were the best side at that tournament and Crowey was on fire. If he hadn't have pulled his hammy I am pretty confident we would have won but it's in the past and Deja moo you are right World Cup's shouldn't run like that

Crowe still made 91, didnt he? IMO NZ should have had backup players who could captain the side in Crowes absence. It was Crowes captaincy that would have made the difference I thought. All said and done, Pakistan did beat NZ twice in the competition. You were just unlucky to meet your bogey side in the semis.

Blaze

Banned
Deja moo said:
Crowe still made 91, didnt he? IMO NZ should have had backup players who could captain the side in Crowes absence. It was Crowes captaincy that would have made the difference I thought. All said and done, Pakistan did beat NZ twice in the competition. You were just unlucky to meet your bogey side in the semis.
Yeah he got run out for 91. John Wright IIRC had captined the side before but didn't konw the in depth tactics that Warren Lees (coach) and Crowe had thought up. Yea that's what I meant with his injury, it hurt the team with Crowe's captaincy being sorely missed. Anyway I haven't really thought about this before but NZ might not have won the final because they wouldn't have had Crowe due to his injury

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
I thought that world cup was in 92. Was it dec/jan of either year? I wish with that structure they had have scrapped the finals and just given the world cup to the team at the top after playing everyone.. mainly because NZ would have won.

But everyone knew the rules before the competition.

Had it been a straight league I don't think England would've lost to Zimbabwe (after they were already through)

Mind you Pakistan had extreme luck in even making the semi finals.