• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**2007 World Cup**

Blaze

Banned
dinu23 said:
I don't think NZ have a chance of reaching the finals in the world cup. It'll probably be pakistan or india.

Everyone has a chance and NZ normally lift for World Cups unlike some teams..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
World Cups are hard to tip, because it's a long tournament and all it takes is one slip-up and you can be gone. Australia were clearly the best side in 2003, but they still almost lost twice, first to New Zealand and then to England. Still, I think Australia are most likely going to win it, if not I'd back the teams that have reliable, experienced players, like India. If New Zealand can continue improving until the world cup they are a shot as well, but I'm not really convinced about them just yet, until Bond comes back and proves himself again. I don't think a bits and pieces bowling attack like New Zealand has would be all that successful in the long term unless they get a reliable striker. Sri Lanka are a fair bet because Murali and Vaas are excellent ODI bowlers, and they have a solid batting lineup as well. Pakistan I don't rate that highly in ODIs at the moment, again because of the lack of bowling. This is also England's problem, even though they have two world class strikers in Flintoff and Pietersen and some other solid contributors in Collingwood and so on, they don't have a particularly reliable ODI bowling attack.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Australia get an easy run through with two ICC qualifiers in Group 1. As for the rest, it's pretty much predictable who will go through, although I think Bangladesh have the potential to create an upset in Group 2. Kenya are in strife atm, but Zimbabwe might be able to get their team sorted out before WC2007.
Presonally i think a full strength Zimbabwe and Kenya team are going to get smashed, look how a full strength Zimbabwe side played aganist India and Australia 2 seasons ago. Bangladesh are proabably the only side outside the top 8 that have a chance of creating some upsets. But even they have to improve allot if their going to beat two contenders like India and Sri Lanka. If they were in a group with England (Flintoff gets injured off course, i don't think Bangla can beat them with Flintoff in the side), South Africa or maybe an in consistent West Indies they might have a chance of making it into the final 8. I think the group stages are going to be quite boring, for me the WC will not start until the Super 8s.

dinu23

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
World Cups are hard to tip, because it's a long tournament and all it takes is one slip-up and you can be gone. Australia were clearly the best side in 2003, but they still almost lost twice, first to New Zealand and then to England. Still, I think Australia are most likely going to win it, if not I'd back the teams that have reliable, experienced players, like India. If New Zealand can continue improving until the world cup they are a shot as well, but I'm not really convinced about them just yet, until Bond comes back and proves himself again. I don't think a bits and pieces bowling attack like New Zealand has would be all that successful in the long term unless they get a reliable striker. Sri Lanka are a fair bet because Murali and Vaas are excellent ODI bowlers, and they have a solid batting lineup as well. Pakistan I don't rate that highly in ODIs at the moment, again because of the lack of bowling. This is also England's problem, even though they have two world class strikers in Flintoff and Pietersen and some other solid contributors in Collingwood and so on, they don't have a particularly reliable ODI bowling attack.
must say I have to agree there Fuller.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
Presonally i think a full strength Zimbabwe and Kenya team are going to get smashed, look how a full strength Zimbabwe side played aganist India and Australia 2 seasons ago. Bangladesh are proabably the only side outside the top 8 that have a chance of creating some upsets. But even they have to improve allot if their going to beat two contenders like India and Sri Lanka. If they were in a group with England (Flintoff gets injured off course, i don't think Bangla can beat them with Flintoff in the side), South Africa or maybe an in consistent West Indies they might have a chance of making it into the final 8. I think the group stages are going to be quite boring, for me the WC will not start until the Super 8s.
All Bangladesh have to do is beat the 4th placed associate and either Sri Lanka or India. If the likes of Nafis, Aftab, Nazmul and Ashraful mature by then I'd back them to make the 8

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the format of this world cup is basically stupid. I am not even sure if the team who wins this one would actually have been the best team in the competition. Sure, the 92 format cannot be practical at this stage, but last WC's format was reasonably better than this one.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Ignore that, there's not quarter finals. Still, when you look at the other teams competing for the three remaining semi final places (assuming Australia's a gimmie), you have NZ as "best of the rest", then England, South Africa (who are going one way at present), the West Indies (who are approximately level with England in ODIs) and the three subcontinental teams, who all travel about as well as Wendel from the Simpsons...

So I struggle to see how England has no chance of making the Semis, as for that to be the case, who else is nailed on?
I really don't think the travel equation comes into it, Englishman. India did pretty well in South Africa last time on pitches where if you read the Cricketweb predictions beforehand they weren't even supposed to make the super sixes.
And of course we have the small matter of both India and pakistan winning their world cups well away from home.

Nope, the winner of Wc2007 will be the side that can play good OD cricket when it really matters.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
James90 said:
All Bangladesh have to do is beat the 4th placed associate and either Sri Lanka or India. If the likes of Nafis, Aftab, Nazmul and Ashraful mature by then I'd back them to make the 8
What if the likes of Pathan, Dhoni, Dawan and Rayudu mature for India and the likes of Maharoof, Malinga, Vandort, Muburak, Suraj and Tharanga mature for Sri Lanka. Bangladesh may have some young superstars coming through the ranks but it not like Sri Lanka and India talent pool is bare. If the youngsters from India and Sri Lanka mature then they will probably be more a handful to the Bangladesh then their youngsters to India and Sri Lanka.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jono said:
That'd rock. I think the West Indies winning with Lara bowing out following it would be amazing. Particularly if he scored a ton in the final to carry WI to victory. :happy:
Or took 5 wickets...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Presonally i think a full strength Zimbabwe and Kenya team are going to get smashed, look how a full strength Zimbabwe side played aganist India and Australia 2 seasons ago
Did you WATCH them though? They looked like a lot of their players had potential, and they performed well towards the end and nearly won a game against India in Perth, and were competitive in another two of then.

Anyway, I really do doubt that they will have their team sorted out by then, unless something major happens politically.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
Did you WATCH them though? They looked like a lot of their players had potential, and they performed well towards the end and nearly won a game against India in Perth, and were competitive in another two of then.

Anyway, I really do doubt that they will have their team sorted out by then, unless something major happens politically.
They had players with potential but they looked completely out of their depth and looked like a very average side compared the side they had in '99, which is really the only Zimbabwe side that looked like they could compete on a regular bases with the top teams. Even if guys like Ervine, Wishart, Carlise, Gripper, Price all come back to their side they are still going to struggle.

psxpro

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
They had players with potential but they looked completely out of their depth and looked like a very average side compared the side they had in '99, which is really the only Zimbabwe side that looked like they could compete on a regular bases with the top teams. Even if guys like Ervine, Wishart, Carlise, Gripper, Price all come back to their side they are still going to struggle.

I diagree, I think they could be a good team that could cause upsets in odi's if they had all the players avaialable. They went close to beating india in the vb series one of the matches and just choked a bit.
But guys like carlslile and ervine are pretty good players.
They wouldnt be as good as around the 99 times when they had flower and streak and a few others at top form but will still be beter than bangladesh and cause a lot of upsets, especially against asian teams and westindies as they seem to slip up against minnows a lot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
If all those players come back (which I doubt...) they will NOT struggle.

Add those players to some of the promising young players they have now, like Taylor, Taibu, Williams etc, and they a team that could suprise a few people.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well i think they lack a world class batsmen, even if they get all their players back to be competitive consistenty. Atleast with Bangladesh they have someone like Ashraful who could be world class, add to that some quality young bowlers.

Zimbabwe pushed India in a couple games but in the rest they got compelety smashed. I rate guys like Taylor, Taibu from the current team but Williams i don't think so. They may create an upset in one of the World Cup games and make the Super 8, but i think they will get smashed in the Super 8s.

psxpro

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
Well i think they lack a world class batsmen, even if they get all their players back to be competitive consistenty. Atleast with Bangladesh they have someone like Ashraful who could be world class, add to that some quality young bowlers.

Zimbabwe pushed India in a couple games but in the rest they got compelety smashed. I rate guys like Taylor, Taibu from the current team but Williams i don't think so. They may create an upset in one of the World Cup games and make the Super 8, but i think they will get smashed in the Super 8s.

Ashraful has to be the one of the most overated player in the world. He bats on subcontinent wickets half the time and doesnt even average 17. He has never impressed me. I think Rajin Saleh is a better batsman.

I think Bangladesh have some impressive young bowlers though who have potential.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
Ashraful has to be the one of the most overated player in the world. He bats on subcontinent wickets half the time and doesnt even average 17. He has never impressed me. I think Rajin Saleh is a better batsman.

I think Bangladesh have some impressive young bowlers though who have potential.
What has sub-continent pitches have to do with anything, a turning track is not a flat pitch and as hard to bat on as a seaming track. The guy is only 20 he will improve, their not too many 20yo who reach to top of their games.