• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World Cup Highlight.

Eclipse

International Debutant
What is everyones personal best moment of this world cup?

For me it was Ricky Pontings Innings yesterday I though it was simpily an outstanding innings by a Captain on the biggest stage in world cricket I personaly beleve he would have made 200 if he had another 6-7 overs.

My other highlight was Davisons record 100 I just loved the look on the faces of the WI player who could not beleve Canada were 150/2 of 20 somthing overs.

My low point of the world cup was also a high point that being the bravery and courage shown by A.Flower and H.Olonga it was a high point in that it inspired me and many others to beleve in the power of inderviduals and no innings or wicket hall can compair to the courage they showed. However I am very sad about the situation it has put Olonga and Flower in both personaly and proffesionaly as cricketers and people and I just pray for there safety.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For me, I guess being bias to my country Stephen Fleming's century against South Africa was awesome to watch.

A low point was the fact that NZ failed to turn up against Australia & India with the bat.

And John Davison's 75 against NZ kicked ass, man that charging hook is the meanest shot!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yeah that charging hook shot was just one of those ones you could hardly beleve could be played not to mention it hiting right dead center of the bat.

krkode

State Captain
I have only live watched two matches this world cup.

India v Pakistan

India v Australia - The final

They are my high points and low points respectively :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As an England fan
Highlight: Anderson ripping out the Pakistani top order, getting Aus 8/135
Low points: Nehra, Bichel, JB Burger and Bevan, Zim-Pak rain

As a Cricket fan
Highlight: Collins Obuya, Ponting's ton, John Davison, Zimbabwe's last 3 overs v NZ, JB Burger v England, Shane Bond v Aus
Low: Mugabe, Boycotted matches, WI-Ban rain, SA-SL rain, Zim-Pak rain

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
High point: Lara's hundred, Sarwan's returning from hospital, Pakistan/India (Anwar and Sachin :)), Ponting's six feast, Lara's Canadian feast :) and KENYA!!!:D .

Low point: Rain, Rain, Jonty's hard luck, Donald's struggles, NZ and SL Super 6 struggles....and Rain!!!

Most inspiring moment: Sarwan returning from injury to hit 2 fours and 2 sixes in 47*!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
Low points: Nehra, Bichel, JB Burger and Bevan, Zim-Pak rain

I guess anyone who does anything against England is rued.:rolleyes: :)

Also, how can players themselves be low points? Wouldn't it be accomplishments or lack thereof?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, the high point was Martin Suji bagging Sachin for 5 in the Super Sixes.

<quack> Anything by Gerrie Snyman or Vasbert - and Churchy getting run out on 99

My low points were the boycotts and the rain - especially during the South Africa v Sri Lanka game which ended in the D/L tie

<quack> West Indies failing to make the Super Sixes

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
My high points - Sachin smacking Shoaib over point for six and the subsequent Indian win over Pak, Nehra's dream spell against England, Davison's electrifying strokeplay against WI and NZ, and Vasbert Drakes' amazing catch to dismiss Davison.

My Low points - SA and WI not making it to the super-six and England and NZ's unnecessary boycott of matches.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Highlights

1.James Anderson against Pakistan
2.Andries Burger against England, and the participation of Namibia, Holland and Canada as a whole
3.Ricky Ponting yesterday!

Lowlights

1.Durban rain
2.Stephen Flemings clinical dissection of the SA attack
3.The Zimbabwe situation as a whole (Although Olonga and Flower were outstanding in what they did, it was a lowlight)
4.Durban rain!!!!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
My highlights were:

1 Ponting's century in the final.
2 Davison's performance.
3 Bichel and Symonds doing well.
4 Shane Bond's spell against Australia.
5 England shooting themselves in the foot against Australia. They should have won that one.

The lowlights:

1 The performance of Bangladesh - a test nation that played worse than the non-test sides.
2 Ganguly appealing for the catch against Gilchrist that missed the bat and bounced.
3 The boycotts.
4 South African mathemetics.
5 The Indian bowling performance in the final (except for Nehra). I was hoping for a closer game between the 2 best sides in the comp.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie_beater said:
My Low points - SA and WI not making it to the super-six and England and NZ's unnecessary boycott of matches.
Of course you'd play somewhere if you recieved death threats wouldn't you?

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Highlights

Davison's Century
Drakes' awesome catch
The Kenyans making the semi's
The Aussies winning (of course!!:P )
Bing's hatrick
Bichel's amazing bowling
Gilchrist walking when he clearly was not out

And most importantly!

Simon being appointed as the Third Umpire for the second semi final

Lowlights

The weather and having to rely on Duckworth/Lewis to get a result in some games.
The ICC's lack of backbone on the boycotts of games in Kenya and Zimbabwe.
The totally appalling treatment of Andy Flower and Henry Olonga.
South Africa's exit on a D/L miscalcuation

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Originally posted by Eyes_Only Simon being appointed as the Third Umpire for the second semi final
[/B]
Yes, third umpire is as close as they'll let him get to the cricket pitch in an important game.

Just kidding.:)

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
:!( :!( :!(

Don't start on him!!

You do realise that he is considering taking an Elite Panel Position don't you??

Last edited:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Of course you'd play somewhere if you recieved death threats wouldn't you?
Ok let's not get started on that all over again(we have done enough), but I still hold the opinion that England's decision in the end was a result of completely unnecessary politicisation of the issue from the beginning which in the end had to come to such an unfortunate pass as it did.

And NZ's case was not as much politics but plain paranoia.

Again that's my opinion and I understand everybody has their own on these matters as we found out in the threads that we had on the issues.