• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the World Cup

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Team of the World Cup

Sachin Tendulkar 7 innings, 381 runs at 54.42, SR: 91.14, 4 50s.
Adam Gilchrist 8 innings, 328 runs at 41.00, SR: 101.86, 3 50s.
Ricky Ponting 8 innings, 395 runs at 65.83, SR: 91.22, 2 100s, 1 50.
Damien Martyn 6 innings, 221 runs at 55.25, SR: 82.15, 3 50s.
Aravinda de Silva 7 innings, 226 runs at 32.28, SR: 91.86. 8 wkts at 31.62, ER: 4.77.
Ramnaresh Sarwan 3 innings, 154 runs at 154.00, SR: 97.46, 1 50
Andy Symonds 3 innings, 234 runs at 234.00, SR: 94.35. 2 wkts at 43.50, ER: 4.34.
Brad Hogg 8 matches, 12 wkts at 24.25, E/R: 4.43, BB: 3/46
Brett Lee 8 matches, 18 wkts at 19.66, E/R: 5.11, BB: 5/42
Ashish Nehra 6 matches, 13 wkts at 19.07, E/R: 4.59, BB: 6/23
Glenn McGrath 8 matches, 14 wkts at 18.07, E/R: 3.77, BB: 3/29
Shane Bond (12th man) 6 matches, 11 wkts at 22.09, E/R: 4.18, BB: 6/23

Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath opening the bowling.

Stats only include matches against Test playing nations except Bangladesh.

The stats pages can be seen here:

For batsmen: http://www.wisden.com/wizard/bat.as...derby=runs&series=927&matchtype=2&whichpage=1
For Bowlers: http://www.wisden.com/wizard/bowl.a...eries=927&matchtype=2&whichpage=1&pagesize=25
For All Rounders: http://www.wisden.com/wizard/all.as...es=927&formulaad=DESC&matchtype=2&whichpage=1

The formula i use for the all rounders is (runs*1 + wkts*15 + ct*5 + st*5)/matches played

There are 6 Aussies there, but i think when you look at their performances there aren't really any other players who deserve to be there in front of them.

Other peoples teams??

krkode

State Captain
Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Gibbs
Ponting
Martyn
De Silva
Dravid
Vaas
Nehra
Muralitharan
McGrath
Lee (12)

That's about my team :P

I think the batting order was fairly straightforward. I think the people who batted well in this tournament stood out like gems.

Put de Silva in there as my fifth bowler.

I was greatly debating between Nehra and Khan, but thought that Khan was too similar to McGrath and Vaas in bowling style (that is, speed and bounce) and thought I ought to have a swing bowler in there, so I put Nehra.

It was between Lee and McGrath for my final bowling option, and I just couldn't leave out the big M. He's way too good...I have that feeling that whenever McGrath bowls, wickets fall, and he's barely ever proved me wrong.

I guess Lee and Vaas could switch in/out...

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think both teams are good but I cant beleve nether of you have H. Gibbs in there.

Also I think Brett Lee would make the 11 considering he is the second highest wicket taker and Nehra 12th man.

krkode

State Captain
Oooh, I forgot Gibbsy! :P

Edited team.

and Eclipse, the reason I have Nehra in the 11 instead of Lee is because I thought I ought to have a swing bowler like guy, because Vaas (only little) and McGrath already cover for the fiery bounce and pace which is Lee's speciality.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
My XII would be:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Atapattu
Dravid
Symonds
Vaas
Lee
Muralitharan
McGrath

Bond (12)

Honourable mentions go to Bichel, Bevan, Nehra, Odumbe, de Silva, A Flower, Gibbs and Davison.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ok that is a good enough reason but Brett Lee has the best outswinger in Australia if you dident know:O

He does not always look for swing (because he likes the short stuff) but he gets more than any other bowler in Australia when the conditions suit him.

In his opening spell of the Sydney test against England Lee was totaly unplayable because of his swing I mean we are talking pitching outside leg and swinging well passed off stump. he had Vaughan playing and missing about 7 times in 2 overs.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Fleming was good during this World Cup, I think his century against South Africa was the best of the tournament until Ponting's blitz this morning. But he probably didn't do quite enough in some of the other matches to warrant a position in the 11.

Shane Bond didn't really kick in until the Super Six stages so he probably warrants 12th man.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Now that i'm back home and back on the net, ill give reasons for my team:

Tendulkar picks himself, while Gilly has been the second best opening bat in the tournament even if he hasn't provided the usual sparks. Plus the fact hes the best keep going puts him in there.

Ponting has been senstaional throughout the whole tournament. Martyn has been hot and cold, but has generally been hot. Before the final I wouldn't have had him in there but that performance sealed it.

Gibbs is a bit unlucky not to seal one of those spots (even if he isn't a middle order bat) as he performed well but probably suffered abit from South Africa's poor performances.

Aravinda de Silva performed solidly and score quickly which is what you want from a number 5, while he will make up the majority of the 5th bowlers overs (if not he'll bowl all 10) as he's bowling in the world cup was great.

Ramnaresh Sarwan came into the World Cup in great form, and outside of Australia is probably in the best 2 or 3 middle order bats in the game. He's good hitting seals him the spot at 6.

Symonds has been the revelation and really picks himself on form. He'll also be the 6th bowler and bowl if de Silva isn't on his game. He Could bat Six and Sarwan Seven, but Sarwan is generally a number 4 or 5 batsmen, so we don't want to play him to far down as that could mess him up a bit.

Hogg at 8. I still believe he didn't deserve he's spot in the team, but hes made everything a winner. Was the best spinner in the tournament by a fair way as Murilitharan didn't do all that much. He's also been very economical for a chinaman bowler.

McGrath was my first choice bowler with Nehra securing the spot as first change bowler based on their brilliant world cups. The last bowling spot came to a choice between Lee, Bichel, Vaas, Bond and Khan.

I ruled Bichel out because his 7/20 was really hes only top performance with the ball in the World Cup. He did well but not good enough to warrant an opening bowlers spot in the WC XI. Khan was the next to go because he's economy rate was high and his strike rate wasn't low enough to counter for that.

Which left me Vaas - economical, Bond - another economical but slightly more aggresive bowler and Lee - the aggressive bowler but did go for a few.

I went for Lee because of his sheer pace and his number of wicketsi n the tournament. His 18 wickets against test nations was four more than anyone else in the tournament at under 20 is just sensational. Picked up a wicket less than every 4 overs as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In my view:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
de Silva
Lara
Flintoff
Lee
Vaas
McGrath
Muralitharan

12th Man - AA

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For me all the all-rounders failed in this World Cup. The non-event of Jacques Kallis, Shaun Pollock, Chris Cairns, Lance Klusener and anyone else considered to be a premier all-rounder.
Flintoff was pretty good, but England never got to the business end of the tournament so its hard to pick him in the Best 11.

Probably Andy Bichel did the best out of anyone because he produced a couple of match-winning knocks aswell as bowling extremely well on a couple of occassions.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
All the commentators at the World Cup were still going around saying that Lance Klusener was 'the man' but the fact is, is that he lost his ability pretty much straight after the 1999 World Cup & has never been the same since.

I think the days of him being able to consistently belt bowling attacks all around the ground & chase down large totals are well gone.

If South Africa are serious about starting a new day, then Klusener may well be one of the players that is shelved.

krkode

State Captain
Paid The Umpire said:
the only allrounder who played well was Andy Bichel
All-rounder or once in a life-time batting success?

I never heard of him being remotely all-rounderish before either...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well I think that considering Flintoff top scored for England, and took 8 wickets in 5 games whilst conceding under 3 an over, he has more of a claim to a place than Symonds, certainly as an al rounder / number 7.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah but that was in the prelims when half the games were against poor opposition, so to be fair to Flintoff he didn't get enough chances because England were knocked out early, but then again to be fair to the others he didn't play in the tougher super six & finals matches.

Eclipse

International Debutant
krkode said:

Cheeck out his stats you will see he is more or less an allrounder he has a List A domestic one day 100 and a FC Hundred and some pritty respectable avrages as a batsman. And he has improved his batting alot over the last year so he is even better than those stats suggest.

He is deffinatly a bowling allrounder but he is capable of making good scores at International level.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:

Cept that he's scored 100s in both FC cricket and Domestic OD cricket as well as playing some good innings in Tests. He's like Ashley Giles, a talented bat, but just took a while to get into his strike with the bat, but Giles needs to get into his stride...:!( :!( :!(

Eclipse

International Debutant
I suppose he is not an allrounder as souch but he is certainly good enough to make runs and do so ralitivly consistently.

He and Brett Lee make up a good low order for Australia both are very capable of making good contributions with the bat and both in quick time especialy Lee.

Last edited: