• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Umpire and Referee appointments for World Cup Semi Finals

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Greetings guys...

Found this on the ICC site this morning. While I personally think it is wonderful that Simon Taufel got the gig, does anyone have any ideas why Daryl Harper is there instead of Daryl Hair?? I personally think Hair had a better tournament!!

Eyes

ICC Umpire and Referee appointments for World Cup Semi Finals
ICC Media Release - 15 March 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ICC today confirmed the umpiring and match refereeing appointments for the semi finals of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2003.

Officials for the matches in Port Elizabeth and Durban will be:

Australia v Sri Lanka, Port Elizabeth, Tuesday 18 March
Standing umpires: David Shepherd, England and Rudi Koertzen, South Africa
Third umpire: Billy Bowden, New Zealand
Fourth umpire: Aleem Dar, Pakistan
Match referee: Clive Lloyd, West Indies

India v Kenya, Durban, Thursday, 20 March
Standing umpires: Steve Bucknor, West Indies and Daryl Harper, Australia
Third umpire: Simon Taufel, Australia
Fourth umpire: Asoka de Silva, Sri Lanka
Match referee: Mike Procter, South Africa

David Richardson, ICC General Manager-Cricket said: "These appointments reflect the consistently high standards of decision making and match management achieved over the course of the tournament. All officials have been assessed on a match-by-match basis, and the eight umpires selected for the finals are the men who have performed best in the opinion of the captains, match referees and the ICC."

Officials for the ICC Cricket World Cup final at The Wanderers on Sunday 23 March will be announced after the second semi final. This will allow appointments to be made which are independent of both competing teams.

Andre

International Regular
No Venkat?!?

Perhaps he is being rested for the final..........

Hopefully anyway. I think Venkat and Bucknor should do the final.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm just practicing my ball-by-ball commentary.

Good morning from Port Elizabeth. Chaminda Vaas to Adam Gilchrist - a single, nudged down to third man. Only another 110 to go before we can get up on one leg.:D

krkode

State Captain
Andre said:
No Venkat?!?

Perhaps he is being rested for the final..........

Hopefully anyway. I think Venkat and Bucknor should do the final.
I agree with that! Venkat and Bucknor for finals :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would be laughing a great deal if Venkat were to do the final, since it would mean we'd be seeing Kenya there!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Venkat's Indian.

You can't umpire your own Nation (Neutrality)

If Venkat umpires the final, India lost the Semi.

If India lost the Semi, Kenya are in the Final.

krkode

State Captain
oooooh! I didn't know that, I knew he was Indian, but I thought that at this level of cricket and umpiring, neutrality shouldn't be a problem... :P

ok, then, Bucknor and somebody else for the finals! :D

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I'm just practicing my ball-by-ball commentary.

Good morning from Port Elizabeth. Chaminda Vaas to Adam Gilchrist - a single, nudged down to third man. Only another 110 to go before we can get up on one leg.:D
Love your work Eddie....

Thought the Duck would have had something to say about it too!!
:lol:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Simon has become my fav. Ump too. Noticed him in the Morocco series where Sanjay Manjraker always used to say in his every stint as a commentator when Simon was umpiring that he was very young and that he is very very good as an umpire. He seems to have carried that into the WC also.I have heard him commentating about Simon when he was Umpiring.

Krkode , Venkat must not have been picked b'coz he made some bad decisions in this WC.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
I know him personally as he is one of my Umpiring Mentors....

He is the type of Ump I hope to become one day and I know most of the players down here hold him in very high regard

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
vishnureddy said:
He is from Australia. You can see it in Eyes Only's Signature.
He's Aussie and proud of it...not only that, he is from NSW...ING and Pura Cup Champions for season 2002/2003!:D :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
oooooh! I didn't know that, I knew he was Indian, but I thought that at this level of cricket and umpiring, neutrality shouldn't be a problem... :P
It shouldn't be, but the the ICC release clearly says:

"Officials for the ICC Cricket World Cup final at The Wanderers on Sunday 23 March will be announced after the second semi final. This will allow appointments to be made which are independent of both competing teams."

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I'd go for Rudi Koertzen and Steve Bucknor to do the job with David Shepherd as third umpire. They're teh best 3 in the world currently. Venkat has always been ordinary.