• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Semis and Final Thread

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
My gut tells me Ponting will make a big score and set Australia up for victory but I also have a feeling India are going to fight like hell to reach the total set and that there are going to be some very tense and vital match situations and prehaps some big decisions to be given or not given by the umpire.
You got the first part spot on.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Does anyone else remember Shaun Pollock criticising the pitch for the final before the WC started after SA played Pak there?

I seem to remember it wouldn't produce good cricket and would be a low scoring game?

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
A brilliant win to the Aussies. I couldn't believe the onslaught from Ponting at the end. He had a little bit of luck along the way but punished some pretty awful bowling at the end.

Ganguly again showed that he had no honour by appealing for that catch off Gilchrist where the ball not only missed the bat by a fair margin but clearly bounced before he caught it. It only confirmed my opinion of him. His captaincy was also quite flawed. Not bring ing Zaheer back on earlier was a mistake as was not bowling the Turbanator out at the end. Singh had bowled well early and just because he had one expensive over he never bowled again. Mongia also bowled well and could have bowled the full 10. Nehra only enhanced his reputation with a good performance. He was expensive late but wasn't everyone.

However he did make the right decision to bowl first. The Aussies would have skittled them quickly on a pitch that seamed around a lot. The Indian bowlers did not take advantage of such wonderful conditions for bowling. Gilchrist played a great knock early to make the Indians more nervous about being in the final.

Tendulkar mat have gotten out early but he had no choice. The Indians can take heart in that they did not throw in the towel. I was expecting them to get rolled once Tendulkar was out. Sehwag played his best innings in the tournament but could not beat an accurate throw from Lehmann.

I guess the Aussies strength was that they played more as a team than any other side. Everyone made a contibution along the way. Just think of key contributions from Symonds, Bichel, Bevan, McGrath, Lee, Ponting and Martyn in tough matches. Only Hayden and Hogg can say that they didn't have a good tournament as individuals. This is another good reason why no Australians figured in the man of the tournament awards. India relied on Tendulkar too much though their bowlers did the job for them during the tournament.

All in all a great victory though the Indians shouldn't get too down as they were clearly the second best side in the comp but the Aussies are ahead of them by a country mile.

krkode

State Captain
I too was quite disappointed with Ganguly's appeal for that catch. If there was one person who knew exactly what went on, it was Ganguly, and good for Bucknor for not giving in.

But I really find it no less honorable than sledging or excessive appealing...the guy was obviously desperate.