• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Semis and Final Thread

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As requested :)

OK, anyone want to stick their neck out and predict anything other than an Australia v India final?

krkode

State Captain
India Sri Lanka perhaps :P

If Jayasurya/Atapatu and Murali/Vaas strike, things could get difficult for the aussies...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Well Aus-India final is the one that looks most probable, but I don't think either of the match would be a cakewalk, specially with the Durban day night affair and the susceptibilty of the Aus batting lineup in a slow pitch at Port Elizabeth.

SL can give the Aussies a real fight, specially with the type of wicket that Port Elizabeth has. Also they now have Atapattu in good form to give the support necessary to Jayasuriya and with Aravinda also in good nick, I think their batting is a shade better then what it was looking earlier. I think SL has done a good job by getting rid of Mahela and replacing him with Gunavardene. Mahela has forgotten what batting is and should have been dropped much earlier.

And Kenya has an abundance of one thing that matters a lot in crucial games...the willingness to fight and also a sense that they have nothing to lose.Their achievement has been beyond all expectations and so they would be more relaxed going into the semis which cannot be said about India. But then India is in form and so I would expect them to prevail.

One more thing to be noted here is that Kenya proved quite a handful under lights at Durban, even for the Aussies. And India takes them on at Durban in a day-nighter.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
well i'll stab at kenya vs australia. but that's more who i hope to see. i wouldn't mind seeing kenya thrash us in the final either :D:D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:
i wouldn't mind seeing kenya thrash us in the final either :D:D
Ok...take a deep breath and then seriously think weather you are Australian or not...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As it stands, SL are 8-1 to win the comp.

Now to me that looks quite worth a punt, since Australia have to lose at some time (note this is not me saying they will lose!), and it could be that Saurav was right, and the slow bowling of de Silva, Arnold, Murali, and when it's 8 down needing 150 more, Jaysuriya, could be their downfall?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The semis that Aus has got on their hands now is the one that they probably least wanted.... against Murali and co. on a slow wicket at Port Elizabeth may be cause for concern, although I think the Lankans' batting woes are not sorted out completely yet, to give the Aussies much trouble.

PY

International Coach
As much as I would like Kenya to beat India on one level, I feel for the contest's sake we need Aus v India final because these will be the two form sides and if Kenya go through, being honest the Aussies will maul them. But because of the English love of the underdog, GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KENYA :D :D :D

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cloete said:
well i'll stab at kenya vs australia. but that's more who i hope to see. i wouldn't mind seeing kenya thrash us in the final either :D:D
ANDREW............ i cant believe you would say that!
Call yourself an Australian why dont ya. I know you like Kenya, but more than Australia is just going too far.
for the record id love to see kenya in the final for the fact i dont like India but The world cup final should be a contest and Australia vs India is the best final possible, they are the only 2 teams in the cup that deserve to make the final.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
broncoman said:
The world cup final should be a contest and Australia vs India is the best final possible, they are the only 2 teams in the cup that deserve to make the final.
I disagree.

The two teams that win the semi-finals deserve to make the final. If it's Australia v India, fine. If it's Kenya v Sri Lanka, fine.

Doesn't make one jot of difference who has played the best cricket to reach the current stage.

As far as it being the best final possible, this has been a World Cup lasting 5 weeks or so - an absolute feast of cricket. Some extraordinary, some less than ordinary, most somewhere in between.

The final as a contest is not the be all and end all - otherwise why bother with having a qualifying competition?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
The world cup final should be a contest and Australia vs India is the best final possible, they are the only 2 teams in the cup that deserve to make the final.
So, if SL(not suggesting Kenya because I can't realistically see them doing that) beat Australia and then beat India in the final(as you said, the two best teams in the cup), they won't deserve to hold the trophy....???

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
ANDREW............ i cant believe you would say that!
Call yourself an Australian why dont ya. I know you like Kenya, but more than Australia is just going too far.
for the record id love to see kenya in the final for the fact i dont like India but The world cup final should be a contest and Australia vs India is the best final possible, they are the only 2 teams in the cup that deserve to make the final.
Hey hey hey...I'm practically English and I want Kenya to win more than England at the moment ;)

krkode

State Captain
anilramavarma said:
So, if SL(not suggesting Kenya because I can't realistically see them doing that) beat Australia and then beat India in the final(as you said, the two best teams in the cup), they won't deserve to hold the trophy....???
They will definitely deserve to hold the trophy if they do that, but, I think what he was saying was that based on current form, Aus (9-0) and Ind (8-1) are the two most deserving teams.