• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So have you enjoyed the WC?

Enjoyed it?

• Yes

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Which makes it even more amazing, since with no lights, they couldn't see the ball to hit it as well! :lol:
There was Sunlight but no mounted lights

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
That's what I meant, the sunlight was on.....:lol:
Since when has the sun been on top of a pole and required to be plugged into the mains electricity supply? ;)

Under lights, at night, conditions change quite markedly, sometimes the moisture in the air aids swing but other times it puts more life into the pitch. I think the latter was the case in the England-India match, the England bowlers got apsolutly nothing out of the pitch, and the Indian bowlers, although bowling well, did get some. I saw the highlights on TV at my local gym :).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Since when has the sun been on top of a pole and required to be plugged into the mains electricity supply? ;)
Very good point, Rik..:lol: :lol: :lol:

I bow to your superior knowledge....:lol: :lol:

anzac

International Debutant
while watching international cricket is always good, I would have to say that I am disappointed overall (minnows, AUS, IND aside).

for me too many of the fancied teams have been far too inconsistant with their performances, & the likes of forfeits & weather have had a bearing on the qualifications for the SS & beyond (points wise), as opposed to straight form & ability. I know this makes for more drama & suspense & I do not begrudge KEN their time in the sun.

For me the SS has been a disappointment because of the lack of form / competitive teams and a substandard pitch. I would like to see matches decided by good cricket from both sides, not by who ever can put a team effort together on the day.

I hope the ICC put some further effort into bringing KEN into the Test arena to make up for the failure of BANG to make any impression in this WC. Similarly I hope the other minnows receive further assistance to build on thier fine showings.

:)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, the second round has been very disappointing....Sri Lanka and New Zealand to be specific.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
For me, the second round has been very disappointing....Sri Lanka and New Zealand to be specific.
Yeah, I never expected them to buckle under like they have done so far.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It just gets worse and worse...We have seen the retirement of so many fine players. I know they have to go sometime, but cricket will be worse off come the end of all this.

Wasim Akram
Allan Donald
Jonty Rhodes
Shane Warne??
Aravinda De Silva??

and now Henry Olonga and Andy Flower are no more

I just cant wait for this thing to finish...:(

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Haven't been able to watch as much of the WC as I would have liked due to real life getting in the way!!:P

As many of you would know, the main reason I have been watching it is to follow the progress of my favourite Ump. I am very proud to say that he has just let me know that he has been appointed Third Umpire in the Second Semi- Final.

On the whole, for me this WC has been a contest of surprises...Too many highlights to name...A great advertesment for the future of the game we love!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I think you should offer the best wishes of all at Cricket Web to Simon Taufel. Top bloke.
I will do that Eddie when I email him tonight...Would you like me to include the Duck's best wishes also?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well in the end NZ paid the price for poor team selection & management.

There were far too many all-rounders in the squad so they became obsessed with wanting to play a team of 11 all-rounders hence the reason why their opening combination was just out of control in the Super Sixes.

They probably paid the price for not taking Paul Hitchcock who would have been the ideal man to bowl to Australia when they were 84/7..but at the end of the day whats done is done & NZ will just look back at this World Cup & realise they missed a big chance to push a claim for it.

PY

International Coach
The cricket has been good, fairly exciting but not in a contest way but more outrageous batting and bowling. Most exciting game so far for me was the first between RSA and WI. Big totals, big hitting and close finish. Bit disappointed that a lot was decided on forfeits but can't begrudge Kenya their place as they might have beaten NZ anyway on their current forms. I will begrudge Zimbabwe though because they have been crap all thorugh the Super Sixes. Also bit mystified about the pitches, they seem to be slow and dead. And the ball swings like a banana. Would be better if pitches were fast, swing and had a little bit of bounce but I'm just picking faults because England went out :( (but I feel they did with heads held high) But you have to have enjoyed almost non-stop cricket for over a month. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eyes_Only said:
I will do that Eddie when I email him tonight...Would you like me to include the Duck's best wishes also?

:D

<quack> Umpires. They're all the same. I bet he asked you that. Everyone wants the blessing of the duck. What has he ever done for me?

I think he got out of the nest the wrong side this morning

<quack> where's my breakfast?

It's lunchtime

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, if you ask the Kiwi coach, it's a terrible tournament becuase the rules for carrying through points mean we won't necessarily see the best team win the cup (or something like that)

Now lets see, NZ beat SA, WI, Zim Can and Ban, and lost to SL, Aus and Ind (and Ken by default)

Looks to me like a case of the team wasn't good enough, nothing to do with the lack of reserve days or the points being carried through!

Legglancer

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Well, if you ask the Kiwi coach, it's a terrible tournament becuase the rules for carrying through points mean we won't necessarily see the best team win the cup (or something like that)

Now lets see, NZ beat SA, WI, Zim Can and Ban, and lost to SL, Aus and Ind (and Ken by default)

Looks to me like a case of the team wasn't good enough, nothing to do with the lack of reserve days or the points being carried through!
Marc I agree with you without resevation. NZ has quite a talented team .... But they are far from the best cricketing nations. Their record testifies to this. AUS, SA, India England, Sri Lanka and even Pakistan are far superior to them in ODI's. Most people agree Their 5 - 2 home victory against India was quite hollow considering the questionable pitch conditions.