• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus v NZ

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Heres an interesting statistic:

Shane Bond has dismissed Ricky Ponting all 5 times in their last 5 encounters. Ponting's head to head average against Bond is 6.40.

So this could really be a key battle in the midst of it all.

krkode

State Captain
But Bond hasn't necessarily been in the slickest of form recently. And Ponting just seems to have struck gold.:wow:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes thats very true..two players I've been disappointed in have been Shane Bond & Sehwag, but Bond seems to be finding a little bit of form & sometimes history has a way of repeating itself.

Rich2001

International Captain
Tim said:
Yes thats very true..two players I've been disappointed in have been Shane Bond & Sehwag, but Bond seems to be finding a little bit of form & sometimes history has a way of repeating itself.
Unfortunalty he has the small matter of M.Hayden and Gilly in the way first :rolleyes:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah well thats going to be a task and a half itself...however like most bowlers know that if they snare a quick wicket against a really good team they tend to lift their game.

Thats what happened to Bond in Australia so they will be hoping he can do it again.

Rich2001

International Captain
Tim said:
Yeah well thats going to be a task and a half itself...however like most bowlers know that if they snare a quick wicket against a really good team they tend to lift their game.

Thats what happened to Bond in Australia so they will be hoping he can do it again.
In saying that though M.Hayden hasn't been in the greatest of touch (watch him hit a 100 now :rolleyes: ) , so like you say anything could happen.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden hasnt been doing that badly, apart from the game against England i dont recall him having scored under 20.
He needs to convert one of his starts into a century at some stage in the cup, what better time than against NZ.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Thats an interesting stat about Bond Vs Ponting.

I remember most of the dismisals to and they totaly ****ed me off Bond keept pitching half vollys wide outside of stump and Ponting keept slashing at them and getting out.

I dont suspect that domanance will last for long Ponting is a quality batsman and he is less likley to throw his wicket away than before he had the captaincy yet he still scores just as fast or faster.

Bonds chance as with all bowlers is to get Ponting early because once Ponting is set he will really enjoy facing Bonds pace.

And Hayden has been in decent touch but he keeps getting out once he reaches 20. Thats must be really anoying as a batsman because you know your form can last for ever and you haven't made the most of it.

Also aparantly the pitch is going to be slow that will suite New Zealand alot more than it will for us.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the thing with Hayden is that he just gets out trying to play an arrogant shot or 2, not really bad form. Although he is deserving of a bit of a slump after his form of late...

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yes I agree rik like that pull shot he tryed against England.

He is pritty arrogant at times I will agree.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Yes I agree rik like that pull shot he tryed against England.

He is pritty arrogant at times I will agree.
Wouldn't you be if you were in the form of your life? Most of the time he looks like he's trying to have fun and he usually gets away with it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be interesting to see if the winning captain at the coin toss fields or bats first.

Fleming will know that the pitch will get slower into the 2nd innings allowing bowlers like Harris, Vettori and Astle to **** some of the Aussie batsmen off, but because NZ have done quite well at chasing in this World Cup he may decide to bat second aswell.

Simon

and also remembering the way Australia chased against England there, maybe batting first would be the way to go, also considering the scores Aus have been making batting first.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah agreed, Fleming usually says what he is going to do but for some reason he has kept quiet & we probably won't find out what either captain will do until the toss is won.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Probably not Rik my personality is not particuarly arrogant in any way appart from when I am making a joke or somthing.

Infact I remember I scored 45, 91, 23, 49,124 in succsesive innings and I was starting to become aggrogant about my stroke play by the last innings but I cant really impose my persona arrogantly like Hayden can and I am not arrogant off the feild.

Not every player becomes arragant when they are in good form but it's certainly not a supprising thing if it does happen.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Probably not Rik my personality is not particuarly arrogant in any way appart from when I am making a joke or somthing.

Infact I remember I scored 45, 91, 23, 49,124 in succsesive innings and I was starting to become aggrogant about my stroke play by the last innings but I cant really impose my persona arrogantly like Hayden can and I am not arrogant off the feild.

Not every player becomes arragant when they are in good form but it's certainly not a supprising thing if it does happen.
Well I went into a match averaging 99 for the season and was promoted to opening and played an elegent drive to the 1st ball...under-edged it and it yorked me. I didn't enjoy that...

Top_Cat

You can't put down that pull-shot of Hayden's totally to arrogance. There was a little bit of that but it was mainly that the ball held up on him as the pitch was quite slow. He was 3/4 through the shot before the ball actually arrived, just like Ponting. They were indiscriminate shots in terms of adjusting for how slow the pitch was but the Aussies will come at the bowling hard early on, regardless of how many wickets they lose. It just so happens, it didn't come off that time. It's worked most other times, though.

Eclipse

International Debutant
The key to beating Australia is bowling slow bowlers and medium pacers on a slow pitch. In Australia we are not used to slow wikets and we dont have alot of medium pacers so our batsman somtimes find them harder to score off than would be expected.

thats why you often see suposedly avrage bowlers who just bowl slow and take the pace off the ball do well against us.

Top_Cat

Well I went into a match averaging 99 for the season and was promoted to opening and played an elegent drive to the 1st ball...under-edged it and it yorked me. I didn't enjoy that...
If that doesn't conclusively prove the old saying 'form is temporary, class is permanent' then I don't know what would..........:D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
If that doesn't conclusively prove the old saying 'form is temporary, class is permanent' then I don't know what would..........:D
It doesn't prove that, it proves that "he who tries to beat Bradman will fail"

My averages for the last few seasons have been 35, 60 and 37 so I don't think it's just form somehow ;)

Last edited: