• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand vs Zimbabwe

PY

International Coach
New Zealand looked like they were walking away with it but then Streak and Taibu pulled it back a little and then Heath Streak and Ervine absolutely murdered the bowling in the last 3 overs. Never heard anything quite so amazing. 62 runs off the last 18 balls. Just massacred them all over the place. After 106/6 after 24 overs to get 252 its well impressive. Should be a good contest and I can't wait. :D

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you would expect Nz's batting line up to chase that though, but anything can happen.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's going to be hard for Zimbabwe to win as Olonga is not playing AGAIN (they claimed it was just a punt from the selectors after he was dropped but he hasn't been picked since even though Streak said he was in very good form...) and Ervine and Brian Murphy are not amazingly scary...

krkode

State Captain
Well excellent job from the Kiwis. I'm glad to see Cairns in form again :P And of course, Astle :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm not convinced about Astle being in form yet. He looked to play a rather "lucky" innings today and looked nowhere near his best.

IMO, Cairns has been in form for the entire tourney but good to see him bowling for good wickets again.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Rik you seem to be obsessed with Henry Olonga. He's not that good. Get over it!

He's about as good as Ryan Sidebottom for crying out loud!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Im not sure how much longer NZ can get away with their bowling attack like it is.

Andre Adams is NOT an opening bowler, he's usually 4th change for Auckland & likewise with Jacob Oram for Central Districts.

This is all about balancing the team, but throughout the tournament NZ have had teams at 120/5 and ended up letting them score above 200 which is not good enough.

Unfortunately I have little faith in Daryl Tuffey especially on wickets which give no assistance to the bowlers. There's Kyle Mills but he's injured & copt some tap from Canada which would not help his confidence.

I think it has to be Kyle Mills, he opens the bowling for Auckland & he also has a good ODI bowling record. Plus he's also quite good with the bat & you'd think he'd come into the side for either Andre Adams or Craig McMillan.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bazza said:

However, he is better than Hondo

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazza said:

He's the 2nd best bowler in Zimbabwe, and on his day he can bowl superbly. I'm just upset that Politics is winning again in the Zimbabwean team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I disagree. I think Blignaut is better than Olonga and as such, the second best bowler in the team.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I disagree. I think Blignaut is better than Olonga and as such, the second best bowler in the team.
Well Olonga has done more in ODIs so I think he's the 2nd best in ODIs...

krkode

State Captain
Isn't Hondo "colored" too? I think it's because of his statement. But Flower doesn't get it due to his extreme value in the Zimbabwean side, i think.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
Isn't Hondo "colored" too? I think it's because of his statement. But Flower doesn't get it due to his extreme value in the Zimbabwean side, i think.
Well the ZCU were about to drop him but the players refused to play unless he was picked.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Hmm politics getting in the way of a coloured player getting in the team??? Thats a new one
Did you miss his "Death of Democracy in Zimbabwe" statement?

However good he is compared to others worldwise (Bazza), I think it's pretty much certain that he should be a 1st choice in the Zimbabwe side (Sean Ervine's playing...)

NZ & Bowling: Paul Hitchcock?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
NZ & Bowling: Paul Hitchcock?
They trusted Oram, Styris and Adams with their bowling and wanted extra strength with their batting, also they couldn't exactly leave out Tuffey after what he did. I suppose Hitchcock didn't do enough to force them to pick him...though his average of 22 is impressive. Maybe they thought his average compared to his domestic average of 19 wasn't good enough? ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tuffey was an interesting one...I mean the selectors would have known that his previous form in the sub-continent & also The West Indies was extremely poor, he hardly got any wickets and his economy rate was well above 6.

But there would have been a huge backlash on them if they had not picked the Player of the Series against India..and I guess alot of other commentators & critics would have queried it.

But to me, Hitchcock would have been invaluable on these pitches..he has so many varities of change-ups & suttle differences to his bowling. Plus he went away and worked on his batting because he thought it was one way to increase his international chances, I think in the State Shield he ended up averaging around 30 batting at 9 for Wellington.

The other bowler who was in form before the World Cup was Ian Butler...he has really increased his pace over the last 6 months & his averages are beginning to come down aswell.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:

The only thing they come close in is hair-style - Olonga is a much better bowler and is being harshly treated IMO, at the same time that his fellow-protester is being picked...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:

I think it has to be Kyle Mills, he opens the bowling for Auckland & he also has a good ODI bowling record. Plus he's also quite good with the bat & you'd think he'd come into the side for either Andre Adams or Craig McMillan.
Here's an interesting point. If Cairns is fit to bowl 4 or 5 overs a game, why not open up with him? Chances are he may only concede 10 or so runs if on song, and it puts NZ on the front foot.