• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 6 points table

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The points table before the super 6 starts up will be:

Australia 8
Kenya 8
India 4
Sri Lanka 4
Zimbabwe 0
New Zealand 0

I would think that if Kenya beat Zimbabwe then it would make the semi finals. They may still make it anyway if NZ and Zimbabwe only win one game out of three which is a distinct possiblility.

The cruch games will be India v Sri Lanka and New Zealand. India must win one of them to qualify. NZ must beat either India or Australia to qualify ahead of Kenya.

Here's my prediction.

Australia to win all three. Kenya to lose all three. Zimbabwe to beat only Kenya. India to beat NZ but lose to Sri LAnka. The table will end up as.

Australia 20
India 12
Sri Lanka 12
Kenya 8
NZ 4
Zimbabwe 4

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I know NZ are still very much at long odds to make the semi's but it is sometimes good to have the pressure of needing to win every match when your back is against the wall.

I think NZ will beat Zimbabwe, and then either miraculously beat Australia or rekindle their form against India.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think argonaut is got it exactly right there,
aus v kenya first semi
india v sl 2nd semi

aus to beat india in the final

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Ummm, i think it doesn't work like that...

"The six teams that qualify for the Super Six phase carry forward the points that they have gained in the Group Matches as follows:

Win v other qualifiers - 4 points each (Tie or no result - 2 points each)
Win v non-qualifiers - 1 point each (Tie or no result - ½ point each) "

Points at the moment...

12.0 AUSTRALIA
10.0 KENYA
8.0 INDIA
7.5 SRI LANKA
4.0 NEW ZEALAND
3.5 ZIMBABWE

So now each game is worth 4pts...

My guesses...

Australia
India
Sri Lanka
Kenya
New Zealand
Zimbabwe

To prove it...
http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC2003/WC2003_TABLE.html

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Paid the Ump is right, it starts of the way he said.

My tips are for:

Aus - 20
Ind - 16
SRL - 15.5
Ken - 14
NZL - 12
Zim - 3.5

New Zealand will end Australias run.
Kenya will beat Zimbabwe.

Aus will beeat Kenya in the SF
India will beat Sri Lanka in the SF.

Aus will beat India in the Final.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why on Earth are people so down on New Zealand's chances? They've played well thusfar and made the semis in the 1992, 1996 and 1999 WC's.

As for Kenya, sure they carry forward a couple of points but I reckon they're going to get beaten in every game they play (unfortunately). Experience counts in the super sixes and I just can't see them overcoming their inexperience in big-match cricket, regardless of how talented they are.

My top 4:

Australia
India
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe
Kenya

jonah

Cricket Spectator
If Kenya do make the semi's, then what a match the Aus/Kenya semi will be:O ....What's the odds on Aus racking up 350 and bowling Kenya out for less than 100?
In my view, points from the initial group stages should be wiped clean for the super 6's. It may mean the odd 'dead' match in the pool games, but Kenya in the semi's?

krkode

State Captain
hey've played well thusfar and made the semis in the 1992, 1996 and 1999 WC's.
:rolleyes: That was Ind/SL and WI/Aus :P

I agree with Top_Cat's list, except, I'd put SL over NZ. I really believe they've done a hec of a lot better and have more potential to beat India than NZ do... I think the "minnow" teams might just bow out. Upsets are rare this far into the competition, and, being an India follower, basing on my list assumptions, I strongly believe India will grab either spot number 2 or 3, hence avoiding a semifinal with Australia, and possibly getting a place in the final :wow:

I think it'll either be an Australia v India or an Australia v Sri Lanka (shudder) final as I think NZ will get pushed out by Australia in the other semi.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Why on Earth are people so down on New Zealand's chances?
The points they have to carry through, plus the fact they've got to play Australia and India (probably the 2 strongest and in-form sides left), makes it very hard for them.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Top_Cat said:

My top 4:

Australia
India
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe
Kenya
Kenya won't finished last.

there is a chance (and a pretty reasonable one) that they won't make the semi finals, but theres no way Zimbabwe will get on top of Kenya.

New Zealand won't finish 3rd - can't beat both Aus and India IMO.

Basically it'll almost for sure be:

Australia
India or Sri Lanka
India or Sri Lanka
Kenya or New Zealand
Kenya or New Zealand
Zimbabwe

So it'll be an India/Sri Lanka semi and Aus v NZL/Ken in the other, but i think Kenya will get there because there is to much ground to make for New Zealand.

In my view, points from the initial group stages should be wiped clean for the super 6's. It may mean the odd 'dead' match in the pool games, but Kenya in the semi's?
That would be stupid, because then teams would be put into the semi finals based on 3 games form. Having points carry through means a team is rewarded for all they play during the tournament which is how it should be.

How is Kenya in the semi's a bad thing?? tell me how they are undeserved.

Yes, New Zealand did forfeit, but whats to say Kenya wouldn't have beaten them. Kenya weren't the ones who pulled out so they have every right to get the four points.

You can't just change the rules because your unhappy at how far a certain team has gone.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Kenya - 10, Zimbabwe - 3.5

To beat Kenya, Zimbabwe need 6.5 points. I can see them beating the Kenyans but not the other two.

I reckon an NZ win over India is likely also (pyschological advantage from the previous tour).

24.0 AUSTRALIA
16.0 INDIA
12.0 NEW ZEALAND
11.5 SRI LANKA
10.0 KENYA
7.5 ZIMBABWE

Aussie/Kiwi final? :)

jonah

Cricket Spectator
hourn said:
That would be stupid, because then teams would be put into the semi finals based on 3 games form. Having points carry through means a team is rewarded for all they play during the tournament which is how it should be.

How is Kenya in the semi's a bad thing?? tell me how they are undeserved.

Yes, New Zealand did forfeit, but whats to say Kenya wouldn't have beaten them. Kenya weren't the ones who pulled out so they have every right to get the four points.

You can't just change the rules because your unhappy at how far a certain team has gone.
Teams that get through to the super 6's get there on 6 games form (if they haven't had any games against them forfeited!). From then on, the teams who are generally regarded as the best will get through to the semis over the next 3 games. If a team can't produce the goods in 2 out of 3 games, so probably ensuring their place in the semis, then they don't deserve to be there. It would also be added pressure to the likes of Aus and India to show that they are the best. In fact, ALL games in the super 6 would have added pressure coz no team would know they can afford to drop points coz they've got enough in the bank from the pool stage to get them through.
Kenya beating NZ? Sorry, couldn't see it happening. They were whipped by a down and out Windies yesterday.
And, for the record, I've thought this since the same system was used in England '99.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jonah said:
Teams that get through to the super 6's get there on 6 games form (if they haven't had any games against them forfeited!). From then on, the teams who are generally regarded as the best will get through to the semis over the next 3 games. If a team can't produce the goods in 2 out of 3 games, so probably ensuring their place in the semis, then they don't deserve to be there. It would also be added pressure to the likes of Aus and India to show that they are the best. In fact, ALL games in the super 6 would have added pressure coz no team would know they can afford to drop points coz they've got enough in the bank from the pool stage to get them through.
Kenya beating NZ? Sorry, couldn't see it happening. They were whipped by a down and out Windies yesterday.
And, for the record, I've thought this since the same system was used in England '99.
If you wish to wipe out the previous reward, then the only 'fair' way would be to go to a full 6-team round-robin.

The way it's worked in this World Cup is to say 'team A beat team B in the group, therefore they would be likely to do it again'.

Sounds fair enough to me.

jonah

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
If you wish to wipe out the previous reward, then the only 'fair' way would be to go to a full 6-team round-robin.

Agreed luckyeddie, that would be best, but I guess time would be a factor.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jonah said:

Stupid idea. The only way that you could do that would be to have all play all, in which case some teams would end up meeting each other 3 times in the Tournament!

To me, the SS is a great idea, as it retains interest right to the end of the Group Stages, and means that any side has played all the other top sides in the Tournament.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:

The way it's worked in this World Cup is to say 'team A beat team B in the group, therefore they would be likely to do it again'.

Sounds fair enough to me.

yes, exactly and what is the point of the two teams playing again. THey're already proved they could beat them so why should the losing team get a second chance.

Quote from Jonah

True, it would be a big uspet but you can't say it wouldn't happen. He would've thought they'd down the Sri Lanka. But it happened and they deserve to go through on full points. They won and other teams didn't. You can't take that away from them.