• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa v Sri Lanka

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well what a game this has turned out to be...the rain is bucketing down & if the game is called off South Africa will have missed the chance to go through by just 1 run.

I still think there is going to be some more play & should it happen South Africa should win so NZ will be hoping that the rain stays for the rest of the night im afraid.

Kimbo

International Debutant
one of the south african comms was saying that the wind direction meant it wasnt promising for the weather.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the problem is, is that there is no wind. The rain I think is coming from the South West & its just not moving because there is no wind to push it along so even if it stops raining there will possibly be 10 or 15 minutes taken to try & make the ground as dry as possible too.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Think its curtains for South Africa. It worked for them in the WI Bangladesh game, now they couldn't have had a worse enemy.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well devastation for South Africa, I really feel sorry for them because it was just 1 run! argh how painful is that?.

But Still in my opinion NZ deserved to go thru because I think overall they played better cricket than South Africa.

So as it stands:

1. Kenya (8)
2. Sri Lanka (4)
3. New Zealand (0)

The 2nd placed team has to play a D/N aswell which will be interesting.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think in hindsight, Group B should've been called the "Group of death". It consumed the second favourites, SA, the tournament dark horses, WI and propelled a hitherto unheralded Kenya into the SS. Wow!! Talk about shock results!!!:wow: :wow: :wow:

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Can't help thinking it's bad for the tournament. Hope the S.A people follow our practiced tradition of still being supportive of a competition when they are out. I think they will but must come as a big shock. Lots of exciting players now not playing as well :(
Just heard Shaun Pollock say that Boucher was told that they were ahead on D/L so he blocked the last ball because he thought they'd still win. Someones made an almighty ****up. Bit sad really

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
anilramavarma said:
I think in hindsight, Group B should've been called the "Group of death".
Hindsight is a wonderful thing - and yes, that's how it turned out. Before the games, Group B looked (fairly) straightforward - a bit of a 3 from 4 scenario. What we ended up with was 'Wow! Who'd have ever guessed that?'

Kenya for the semis.

5 signs You've Grown Up
1.Your houseplants are alive, and you can't smoke any of them.
2.You keep more food than beer in the fridge.
3.You hear your favorite song on an elevator.
4.You watch the Weather Channel.(for other than cricketing purposes)
5.90% of the time you spend in front of a computer is for real work.
guess I've not grown up then.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that makes it worse if Boucher had been mis-informed...it really sums up the way South Africa have played in the World Cup.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Well devastation for South Africa, I really feel sorry for them because it was just 1 run! argh how painful is that?.

But Still in my opinion NZ deserved to go thru because I think overall they played better cricket than South Africa.

So as it stands:

1. Kenya (8)
2. Sri Lanka (4)
3. New Zealand (0)

The 2nd placed team has to play a D/N aswell which will be interesting.
you are forgetting about the points gained for a win against non qualifying teams

So australia are numebr one, kenya at two with ten points :rolleyes:

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Boucher will have four years to resent having sent the ball before for six and then turning the next one to the fielder.. watching the sa fansa today at the ground, I had flash backs of 1992. These guyz really miss out every single time, They had one of the best lead ups to the World Cup and floundered in it badly. Australia are the sole super power now.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'd have to say that if anybody beats Australia from here on in then they deserve to win the World Cup.
Alot of people are saying NZ have the best chance of doing it, but boy if they don't get it right, all you have to do is go back to the ICC Trophy to realise what could happen.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Yeah, I'd have to say that if anybody beats Australia from here on in then they deserve to win the World Cup.
Alot of people are saying NZ have the best chance of doing it, but boy if they don't get it right, all you have to do is go back to the ICC Trophy to realise what could happen.
Exactly how is a flashback to the ICC trophy pertinent?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm not sure how bad it is! One run in it. Again!!!

Oh well there is always West Indies 2007. Good luck Australia on finding the room on your mantelpielces for the winners medals..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well alot of ppl said before the ICC Trophy that NZ had a good chance of beating Australia but they ended up getting thrashed..now the same idea is being talked about in the World Cup so I was just referring back to the ICC Trophy to remind people that the last time NZ played Australia they were well & truly done.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Well alot of ppl said before the ICC Trophy that NZ had a good chance of beating Australia but they ended up getting thrashed..now the same idea is being talked about in the World Cup so I was just referring back to the ICC Trophy to remind people that the last time NZ played Australia they were well & truly done.
Oh, ok. Well, that could still happen to any team which comes against Australia. They are that good right now.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
South Africa out of World Cup!

They couldn't even qualify for the super six!! They were supposed to be one of the favourites :( . I had said long ago that South Africa won't win the cup because of CHOKING FACTOR (this statement of mine didn't go well with some members of this forum). However i never thought that SA won't be able to make it to the super six??
I think playing at home infront of their own people with high expectations was too much for the Afrikan players, as Imran Khan and Bob Woolmer said earlier, SA were just under pressure from the first match of the tournament. What makes me saddened is that a team like Kenya have made it to the super six at the expense of SA, just because NZ gifted their match to the Kenyans.

Unfortunate!