• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Net Run Rate Clarification

hourn

U19 Cricketer
1 - if a team is dismissed all out, does it count as facing the full 50 overs (or the maximum available to them for that match) when calaculating the net run rate, or:

2 - does it count as however many overs they faced.

Or does this change from tournament to tournament, and if so, what system is the WC using??

I would assume it would be 50 overs for the following two situations if the WC used option (2).

1 - Take tonight NZL v Canada game for instance. If NZL dismissed Can for 70 from 15 overs (RR: 4.66), they would end up worse off than if Canada finished 4/190 from their 50 overs (RR: 3.80).

and

2 - If 2 teams in the WC played each other in the final match of their pool. We'll say it is Sri Lanka v Australia. SRL are in 4th spot on 12 points and Aus are in 3rd spot on 16 points. Both teams have very similar net run rates. There is also West Indies in 2nd spot on 16 points with a much higher NRR. Windies beat SRL, but Aus beat WIN so if SRL beat Aus, all three teams will be on 16 with a 1-1 record against each other so it comes down to NRR.

Australia bat first, and go out and slog 80 runs from 8 overs and get all out. This means Sri Lanka have to now score the 80 runs from 8 overs or less to make the top three. SRL can only do it in 12, however Australias NRR improves while SRL's goes down, despite Australian getting absolutely slaughtered.

Both situations are unfair to the winning team (assuming SRL and NZL won both games) if the WC used system 2.

For those reasons i asssume they used the first system but i just want to get clarification on that because i have no real idea.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I got a bit confused there towards the end but I do know if a team is bowled out inside the overs, they are deemed to have faced the full 50 overs (this is what they had to use). If a side chases and wins in 40 their actual RR counts.

eg today, Canada 197 all out in 47 overs v New Zealand. Their actual run rate was 4.17, but 3.94 is what counts.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes it is, sorry I forgot about that.

ie Canada today would be credited with a RR of +3.94 for their innings.

New Zealand are credited with a RR of -4.17.

I think that is right?

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Are you sure?

I heard today that if eg Team A is 150 a/o in 40 overs - than Team A has 50 overs as btting, but Team B 40.

Oh and Bazza, it's not so simple as add the results from the individual NRR calcs - the average is calculated on all the games put together.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yep. It wouldn't be at all fair, look at this hypothetical scenario:

Team B knock over Team A inside 11 overs for 77.

It's a great bowling display (OK, some kamikaze batting), but it would screw their NNR under that situation.

Bazza

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Are you sure?

I heard today that if eg Team A is 150 a/o in 40 overs - than Team A has 50 overs as btting, but Team B 40.

Oh and Bazza, it's not so simple as add the results from the individual NRR calcs - the average is calculated on all the games put together.
I know.

Neil has a point too, it gives a bonus to a side for bowling teams out inside the 50 over alloaction.