• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kenya in the SS

krkode

State Captain
Now, I might not necessarily feel this emotion considering the fact that my team has already made it into the super six, but don't you think NZ's not playing Kenya has now caused some other very deserving teams to not make it through? Is that bad?

Rich2001

International Captain
krkode said:
Now, I might not necessarily feel this emotion considering the fact that my team has already made it into the super six, but don't you think NZ's not playing Kenya has now caused some other very deserving teams to not make it through? Is that bad?
Ok I understand what your saying, but surley if they are that deserving of a place they would have grabed a spot themselves... I mean why should teams have to relay on others to help them.. I mean SA haven't helped themselves by losing to both WI and NZ and WI haven't helped themselves by losing to NZ and SL (ok the rain v Bangladesh was unlucky) But if they can't win themsleves why should they be that deserving of a place.. Ok Kenya were handed one game, but the other wins they worked hard for to achieve.

Oh and good luck to Pakistan tommorow in helping England out :saint:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't think it is bad but I think that everyone in the SS should have a chance of winning the world cup and I don't really think that Kenya do.

NZ had every right to refuse to play Kenya. They have just made it hard for themselves and hard for the other teams like SA, WI and SL.

If you take say 4 points from Kenya then they wouldn't have made it but they have and you can not take that away from them. They have certainly proved that they are better than the test playing nation of BANG.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ive said it ocne and ill say it again, any team that make the super 6 stage deserves to be there. They have ebaten every team put in front of them bar 1. in my mind they are deserving of being there.

krkode

State Captain
I agree with you guys. Cricket may be about skill and talent, but it's also about luck. WI get a rained out match - very unlucky, but maybe they just weren't meant to make it to the next stage.

Same for all the other teams that won't make it.

Kenya got through with a free ticket win vs. NZ, one that would've been very hard to win, but now that it's done, I guess that's it. Somebody doesn't make it, Kenya does.

A very impressive performance by the Kenyan team, indeed. :wow:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd give NZ a better chance of winning the World Cup than Kenya, but at the end of the day it was NZ who made the call to not go to Kenya so they should be willing to accept that this could have been one of the possible outcomes.

I wouldn't really care if NZ were playing badly, but in the last 2 weeks they've really looked good & it will be a big shame if they bow out at the prelims.

Andre

International Regular
Tamara said:
I don't think it is bad but I think that everyone in the SS should have a chance of winning the world cup and I don't really think that Kenya do.
Pretty silly statement that. It's fair to say only 2 or 3 teams, 4 at the most have a chance of winning the World Cup. There is no way six sides have the chance to do that.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Re: Re: Kenya in the SS

Rich2001 said:
Ok Kenya were handed one game, but the other wins they worked hard for to achieve.
All 1 of them.

Andre - I would like to think England are good enough to win. Others probably disagree, but although we didn't actually manage it in the end, we showed yesterday we can beat Australia, and if you can beat the best you can beat anyone. Anyway Australia are definitely good enough to win it, so are India and SA. SL have played very well, and I think NZ and WI have the ability too. That's 6/7 teams. Kenya do not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well I think we should credit Kenya - they have played well and are in the Super Six.

Who's to say that they wouldn't have beaten NZ? We won't know, but to say that they've only qualified because of the forfeit is harsh on them.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Kenya in the SS

Bazza said:
All 1 of them.

Andre - I would like to think England are good enough to win. Others probably disagree, but although we didn't actually manage it in the end, we showed yesterday we can beat Australia, and if you can beat the best you can beat anyone. Anyway Australia are definitely good enough to win it, so are India and SA. SL have played very well, and I think NZ and WI have the ability too. That's 6/7 teams. Kenya do not.

England demonstrated that they can beat Australia? Au contraire, it demonstrated that without a serious change of attitude and a good dose of self-belief that this England team cannot beat Australia but will continue to 'bottle it' when they have a chance.

I do find myself agreeing with you (there's a first) regarding the lack of ability that Kenya have to actually go on and win the tournament, but to infer that they devalue the tournament by actually being in the SS is similar to that argument a couple of years ago that the English FA Cup wasn't worth willing that year because scumch sorry Manchester United hadn't entered it.

Even if West Indies hammer Kenya today (which I expect they will), it changes nothing.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I agree that South Africa should have won their own games, but still on face value how does it look like ?

Kenya in the Super sixes, MAYBE Zimbabwe in their, indicates a troubled tournament, and quite a few surprises as well. Its cricket, you have to be at your best everyday or else the others steal away your cake.

Its not fair to say that Kenya shouldn't be in the Super sixes, It may not look healthy but cricket is by chance......

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gotchya said:
Its not fair to say that Kenya shouldn't be in the Super sixes, It may not look healthy but cricket is by chance......
For all we know, they might turn out to be another Sri Lanka in 10 years time or so.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Yes Kenya may qualify for SS. They have got 10 now and most probably will not add to that. Zim has 3 1/2 and NZ has 4 . If NZ lose to India and Aus and win against Zim then they will have 8. And if Zim lose to NZ and SRL and win against Kenya then they will have 7 1/2 then Kenya has 10 . So Kenya will qualify and Aus will play them:!( as they will qualify as 4th and Aus will qualify as 1st team. So Australia is almost in the final.

Last edited:

Gilly18

Cricket Spectator
Scary thought this:

I was looking at tables and everything and found something very interesting. Assuming Kenya lose to WI the two tables look like this-

Group A
Australia
India
Zimbabwe

Group B
Sri Lanka
Kenya
New Zealand

Now Australia carries forward 12points to the SS, India (8), Zimbabwe (3.5), Sri Lanka (7.5), Kenya (10) and New Zealand (4). You get 4 points for a win against a fellow SS team and 1 for a win against a non-SS team.

The SS table would look like this:
Aus 12
Ken 10
Ind 8
SrL 7.5
NZ 4
Zim 3.5

Now if the following results happen Kenya won't have to win any SS game and will make the Semi-Final. Scary hah!

Aus and Ind beat NZ, SL and NZ beat Zim, Zim v Ken don't matter

Final table could look something like this:
Aus (24)
Ind (16 or 20) depending on SL game
SrL (11.5 or 15.5) depending on Ind game
Ken (10) if they lose to Zimbabwe
NZ (8)
Zim (7.5) if they beat Kenya

Mmm..... Ind v SrL semi-final looks enticing

Could Kenya actually make the SemiFinals. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vishnureddy said:
Aus will qualify as 1st team. So Australia is almost in the final.
Australia were almost in the final before the WC started. I don't think any other team would be able to stop them anyway, so let Kenya have their glory.