• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan vs India

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Well, words cannot describe the knock Sachin Tendulkar came up with today. For all the years that I have watched cricket, and these two teams battle it out, I haven't seen India dominate like they did today, courtesy of the man they call Tendulkar. He dosn't seem to have a flaw, no weaknesses and no holding back. Threw total caution to the wind and blew away the Pakistani pace attack like a pack of cards. Norhing left to imagination really.

I for one was smiling ear to ear when Pakistan walked off scoring 273, Taking so many occasions before this, I had good reason to believe that Pakistan would be succesful in defending this total. But ofcourse, Tendulkar dismissed everything that was thrown his way, scoring at about 9-10 runs at the over for around 12 overs, that just took the game away, beyond Pakistan's reach. I dont think Pakistan played badly to fall out, India played better to down them. Congratulations to them for reaching the Super sixes, they have recorded a thumping victory against Pakistan. And should be very high on confidence, for the first time in many years, I think that this Indian team is the closest to converging to a complete team. The bowling is looking good (good enough) and the batting has been irresistable so far.

I was looking forward to this game, and my word has it been some game. After about three years, these teams play each other and India *have* changed ! For all the cricket they may play against other teams, the ultimate yardstick is always this match-off, and they have impressed. India won against a Pakistani side that was particularly out of shape. The batting had been disastarous, the potent bowling attack had just not been delivering what it promised earlier. And now probably Pakistan are out of this World Cup, which is not a very good sign. Bowing out early out of a World Cup is not what Pakistani supporters are accustomed to (alright you can pounce on this one ;)

Maybe they still have a semblance of a chance, but of their own accord we are out of the World Cup. Still, well played India !

Shoaib is a strike bowler, even if he goes for runs but picks up wickets : NOT A PROBLEM. Strike bowlers are meant to be aggressive uncompromising creatures. Pakistan seem to have that element in every bowler. That is why Waqar Younis will pitch the ball up to the bat when Sachin Tendulkar is batting. Sachin batted extra ordinarily and I wont blame Waqar or Shoaib for trying to get him out the way they did.

Three players I really ended up feeling for were (all Pakistani , not surprisingly)

a) Inzi
b) Saeed Anwar
c) Waqar Younis

Inzi. came out there, played positive and over did it. The old friend.....the run-out again doing its duty and sending Inzi back to the pav. As Manjrekar put it, he's probably experiencing what all players experience in their careers, a lowest point which may prove to be a turning point in their careers. Either Inzi will grow out of this, or he'll fade away.
In any case, all eyes were fixated on him an I am sure that he fancied playing well today, to get out in the fashion he did will have shaken every inch of confidence that he might have. Still, I remember 1992, debut tournament and he played an unforgettable innings. He can pull out.

Saeed Anwar, finally got among the runs, and held the innings together. He has done this for Pakistan many times before, get an effort in when it counts most, and their were glimpses of the Saeed Anwar of 5 years ago. Yet all that effort was down the drain when Tendulkar plundered and massacred the Pakistani attack to pull off a savage victory. Anwar increased his personal tally of centuries to 20, which had been lying dormant for some time. It was though really dissapointing to see a great player's effort go wasted as this maybe his last efforts.

Waqar Younis. For all the good cricket this man has played,, for all the Not bowing your head attitude he has shown, coming back from the worst of times wether off the field or on the field, he has maybe failed to lead Pakistan to greater glories. Rather the team has experienced one of the most *consistent* bad patch in its history. It may not have anything to do with Waqar's captaincy, still though I think that Pakistan's record under him is shame to the capabilities and will power that Waqar possess. Surely he deserves much more than what he has been dealt with in the last few months.

If Pakistan bow out of this World Cup, it would probably herald the end of some its great players. The list is IMO irreplaceable, including Wasim, Anwar and maybe Waqar. Three players that have served Pakistani cricket to no end. I just wish that their careers end at a more positive note then this.

PS. It took a sub-continent team to cluster out another, point made ? :saint:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Choora said:
Zimbabwe's NRR is around 0.5 while England's is around 1.0+. Now if Zimbababwe beats Pakistan does it means that they will go trough irrespective of the outcome of Aus-England match as Neil has claimed??
I think if England defeats Aus and Zimb beats Pak, its more than likely that England will go through as their NRR will be better than Zimbabwe
All Zibbabwe need to do is win. That renders the outcome of the England/Australia game irrelevant as Zimbabwe beat England.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
IF Zimbabwe beat Pakistan, they have 16 points, if England beat Australia, they have 16 points, with Pakistan sitting at 8 points.

England lost to Zimbabwe............NRR whats that ?

Choora

State Regular
luckyeddie said:
All Zibbabwe need to do is win. That renders the outcome of the England/Australia game irrelevant as Zimbabwe beat England.
Oh i see, i was thinking that since Zimbabwe technically didn't beat England (as England forfeit the points) therefore the issue would be decided on NRR!
Well if Zimb would get to Super six like that, they would be a bit lucky!

wahindiawah

Banned
Indian oneday team is class act (though still not as good as the Aussies) , their batting is awesome, probably one of the best in the world.Their bowling is now very good, as with Khan,Nehra and Srinath India have a potent attack that can threaten any batting line up.With the inclusion of young blodd, the fielding is also improved increadbly.

Ganguly's men made me proud by thrashing Pakistan, but are they capable of matching the great Aussies ???

wahindiawah

Banned
Gotchya said:

If Pakistan bow out of this World Cup, it would probably herald the end of some its great players. The list is IMO irreplaceable, including Wasim, Anwar and maybe Waqar. Three players that have served Pakistani cricket to no end. I just wish that their careers end at a more positive note then this.

Don't want to sound too harsh, but i think with the retirement of the senior players, Pakistan team would probably won't recover till a long time as young talented players aren't comming up, unlike in the case of India!! I think there isn't anyone to replace the great W's while Pakistan seems to be really struggling from getting any good batsmen.

The future looks bleak to me!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
wahindiawah said:
Indian oneday team is class act (though still not as good as the Aussies) , their batting is awesome, probably one of the best in the world.Their bowling is now very good, as with Khan,Nehra and Srinath India have a potent attack that can threaten any batting line up.With the inclusion of young blodd, the fielding is also improved increadbly.

Ganguly's men made me proud by thrashing Pakistan, but are they capable of matching the great Aussies ???
On the downside, Nehra was as good as Shoaib today.

Apart from that, yes, a great performance. One of many from the most exciting team of the World Cup (for me)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
wahindiawah said:
Don't want to sound too harsh, but i think with the retirement of the senior players, Pakistan team would probably won't recover till a long time as young talented players aren't comming up, unlike in the case of India!! I think there isn't anyone to replace the great W's while Pakistan seems to be really struggling from getting any good batsmen.

The future looks bleak to me!

Recover from what ? they are experiencing the worst form I have seen them in a decade

As for upcomming players, I have seen a few very talented A side players. Sami, Shoaib and perhaps Zahid aren't bad.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Sunil Havascar said:
anwar's beard must be so annoying...
He's grown it for religious purposes I heard. He almost gave up the game to concentrate on his faith. The thing is after a few sightings you start to realise it really doesn't suit him...kinda like Matthew Elliot's mini-goatee, but that's kind of insantanous...

wahindiawah

Banned
Gotchya said:
Recover from what ? they are experiencing the worst form I have seen them in a decade

As for upcomming players, I have seen a few very talented A side players. Sami, Shoaib and perhaps Zahid aren't bad.
Yes today was a bad day for them, but when Waqar,Waseem and Anwar will retire, Pakistan are probably going to go further down the slope.
Agreed on Sami/Shoaib , but apart from these two bowlers there aren't many good cricketers comming up or are there?

Kimbo

International Debutant
Rik said:
He's grown it for religious purposes I heard. He almost gave up the game to concentrate on his faith. The thing is after a few sightings you start to realise it really doesn't suit him...kinda like Matthew Elliot's mini-goatee, but that's kind of insantanous...
Yea, it's because he has straight hair i think. His hair on his head is straight, but his beard is bushy. It looks very odd!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
wahindiawah said:
Yes today was a bad day for them, but when Waqar,Waseem and Anwar will retire, Pakistan are probably going to go further down the slope.
Agreed on Sami/Shoaib , but apart from these two bowlers there aren't many good cricketers comming up or are there?
Well if Pak A is anything to go by there are plenty coming up. Especially some good batsmen. But from experience, Pakistan may end up getting players as good. However, there is no refuting that the Intensive care period will be extended once waqar and co. retire

PS. Anwar might not make too many appearances on tv, so you wont have the annoyance anymore ! :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
now all England got to do is beat Australia and then they can reach the Super six stage too.
Oh is that all, not a big ask then?

Actually even victory against Aus will not guarantee anything, but never mind!

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Oh is that all, not a big ask then?

Actually even victory against Aus will not guarantee anything, but never mind!
Who said that it was a small task? I'm talking about a possibility, and there usually no guarantees in cricket, but an England win is more than likely going to make them reach the Super Six!
As Naseer said if England can't do it now, they will never do it.Good thing from England's point of view is that Jason won't be playing and their old foe Warne will be missing too, England got to go all out for a win!

Eclipse

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
On the downside, Nehra was as good as Shoaib today.

Apart from that, yes, a great performance. One of many from the most exciting team of the World Cup (for me)
I disagree apart from the last two games India have been boring to watch.

I though Tendulkar played the kind of innings only a true class player can play very good stuff.
All thought It may have been a diffrent story if he was not droped on 32 and then in the 70s.