• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Vs Kenya

Eclipse

International Debutant
Good game hear :

Kenya 210/9 (50 ov)
Sri Lanka 47/2 (13.3 ov)

Good effort by kenya they are a chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Even more interesting now!

119/7 off 32 overs - they need a further 92 at more than 5 an over, with the tail in - Kenya for the Super Sixes anybody?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
And Kenya win!!!

Brilliant bowling by the Leg Spinner Obuya and a fine innings from his older brother Kennedy Otieno. Fine win :)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
With a game against Bangladesh still to come, it's surely Kenya and 2 from SA, SL, NZ and WI to qualify?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
See what happens when you get Jayasuriya early? :)

Oh yeah, and the minnows shouldn't be at the World Cup. :rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
See what happens when you get Jayasuriya early? :)

Oh yeah, and the minnows shouldn't be at the World Cup. :rolleyes:
I think the arguement would go something like this:

"The minnows shouldn't be at the World Cup because they might knock the major teams out. And if they get to the Super 6s then they will just get easily beaten by the major teams so there is no point in letting them go through. I would let the minnows play but not allow them to gain any points out of the matches, or better still, kick them all out of the World Cup"

:yawn:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well done, Kenya. That would have deflated the Lankans a little and killed any complacency they might have developed thus far. Group B matches have proved to be much more surprising and topsy-turvy compared to the so-called "pool of death" where things are going very much according to form.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Well done Kenya:cool2: . Now beat Ban comprehensively and show who the better team is. If they go to the super six and don't get test status then i would be really angry:!( . If BAN can play then Kenya can definately too. I was worried that when Tikolo and Odumbe retire they may find it very difficult but seeing the amount of Indian Community people there and they were many kids of Indian Origin. Almost 80 % of the people in the stadium were Indians and most of them will definately play cricket and there will be some good players coming out like Patel, Shah,etc,.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Errrm...they need to have a domestic FC Structure before they can play Test Cricket. They also pick the team from a small pool of players. I wouldn't promote them yet. Look what happened to Bangladesh. If there's no need then don't do it. Although it would be quite a waste of Steve Tikolo's talent :(

V Reddy

International Debutant
How will they improve by playing once in six months.They would rather go downhill. I think Ravindu Shah and Patel are talented too . Patel especially played very well in the triangular series against Aus and Pak but i don't know why he isn't kicking on here maybe b'coz lack of cricket. Are you suggesting that Ban has a good first class structure? This is not the first time Kenya has played well too. They beat India 2 times,WI Once,SRL now and AUS won some months back in the last over needing 20 in the last 2 overs. And they have lost to Ban only once . I am sure they won't go the Ban way if they get to play tests. All the batsman of Ban play shots no matter what the situation is and while the kenyan batsman play more like the main team batsman playing according to the ball.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
No I ment that Bangladesh have a FC Structure in place but Kenya do not. I didn't say it was a good one though. In fact Steve Tikolo went over there and did better than nearly all of the Bangladeshi Test Players...

I think a good thing would be for Kenya to play more ODIs, but Test Status is not something which should really be based on performances in ODIs. The 2 are totally different games.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Victories like todays over former world champions (the second time that Kenya have done so) are really encouraging for the development of cricket throughout the world.

Where do Kenya go from here? Certainly not test status - as has been pointed out frequently, there is no first-class structure to the game in Kenya - nor is there likely to be so for some time.

Perhaps the onus ought now be on the ICC to encourage countries touring South Africa and/or Zimbabwe (in a bit) to play short series in Kenya ('B' tours especially) of, say 3 x ODI's and 1 three or four-day game.

After all, 100 years or so ago, it was the English, Australian and then South African touring sides stopping off in the 'other colonies' playing exhibition games which actually kick-started the development of the game there.

V Reddy

International Debutant
This is what i read on BBC.It's good since they are doing something about Kenya.

World Cup giantkillers Kenya could be playing Test cricket by 2006.

Kenya could have more cause for celebration in three years' time

The International Cricket Council (ICC) told the BBC Sport website it was working with Kenya to make them the next Test-playing nation.

"There is a proposal on the table and if that goes ahead Kenya will be playing Test cricket in three years," the ICC's development manager Andrew Eade said.

"We want the Kenyan Cricket Association (KCA) to defer their application for three years on the proviso we would work closely with them and provide funding to ebstablish the longer game.

Kenya fight for Test status

"Kenya are undoubtedly the strongest non-Test country by playing standards.

"But there are development and infrastructure issues that need to be worked on."

Kenya, who shocked Sri Lanka on Monday, would be the 13th Test nation after Bangladesh were admitted in 2000.

Mistake

The Tigers were given Test status after their 1999 World Cup upset over Pakistan, but they are still seeking a first victory.

Eade admitted Bangladesh were admitted prematurely and said the ICC did not want to make the same mistake with Kenya.

"The ICC wants to ensure that when Kenya become a Test nation they don't go through the same problems as Bangladesh where they haven't got the skills to play at that level," he said.

"When Bangladesh were admitted, all the indicators were there that they would quickly come up to speed.

"But we threw them in there a little bit early and it showed there is a big difference between Test and one-day cricket.

"The experience of Bangladesh has shown the ICC we need to be very careful before admitting teams to Test status because it is totally different game."

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What i thought was great was the way they huddled around each other and jumped up and down after every wicket. It was inspiring.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is there a case for inviting them to join a domestic competition, maybe SA, maybe even the CC in England?

OK, so they wouldn't have a home ground, unless one was designated, but think of the experience they'd get.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
SA sounds like the best option to me. It's not as if the SA provence teams are near to each other anyway...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Namibia were involved in the South African 'B' competition weren't they? so I can't see why Kenya couldn't get a spot in the South African first class competition.

If Kenya can develop a first class system or maybe gain a spot in the South African provincial comp. then they could really do some damage at international level, more so than Bangladesh have.