• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsman to Watch?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think he qualifies as a batsman to watch - he puts bums on seats (and crash helmets on heads frequently)

Bazza

International 12th Man
He does qualify for the thread, but while we're talking about him, I'll chip in with my opinion.

He averages 42 in tests, BUT take away that 340, his average falls to 39. Take out his (albeit 3) innings against Bangladesh, he averages 38. Still very respectable - England wouldn't mind having another player or two who can average 38+ - but not great.

Still he is ranked 36 in tests, which seems harsh (alongside Neil McKenzie??!!) and 2 in ODIs, which may not be an accurate overall picture, but does testify that ODI cricket is his stronger form, and his average of 32 with such a high SR suggests exactly that.

Not one of the all time greats, but as Rik pointed out he can also bowl, which makes him very valuable to Sri Lanka, and doubtless one of their best players to date.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Gotchya said:
Best batsman to watch. Not the best figures to look at. That riff raff.
Oh ok. Yeah, when he is in form, he puts on quite a spectacular show, well worth watching.