• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What a bunch of fickle idiots!

masterblaster

International Captain
Protests give way to celebrations after India win
20 February 2003

Protests across India over the team's poor start to the cricket World Cup have given way to celebrations after they beat Zimbabwe by 83 runs to stay in the hunt for a spot in the tournament's Super Six stage.

Fans, who had demonstrated angrily against Sourav Ganguly's team, were now seen dancing in the streets chanting slogans of support.

"India will win, we are the champions," they screamed during late night celebrations on Wednesday at New Delhi's India Gate complex, where a small crowd had gathered.

India won in Harare on the back of a fluent 81 from leading batsman Sachin Tendulkar and three wickets from unlikely bowling hero Ganguly, who had been receiving most of the fans' flak.

A mock funeral had been staged for Ganguly earlier his week and his effigy was burnt in his hometown of Calcutta.

Posters of Tendulkar were burnt in Bombay and middle-order batsman Mohammad Kaif's house in Allahabad was attacked with black paint and oil.

But on Wednesday night, fans in Calutta were shouting: "Ganguly is the best captain, India is the best team."

The Indian media, which had launched a vicious attack on the team after they lost by nine wickets to Australia last week, heaped praise on the resurgent side.

"Team India bounce back," said a front-page banner headline in The Times of India, which went on to say: "The desperation gave way to jubilation for India."

But there are fears that the protests could begin again if India lose to main rivals Pakistan in their final Group A match on March 1.

They next play Namibia in Pietermatizburg on Sunday and then take on England on February 26

krkode

State Captain
That's exactly what I felt...I'm disgusted by some of the Indian "fans'" reactions.

We lose and they burn photos of players, we win and they start dreaming about world beating...

:rolleyes:

A country can't play with that kind of support...and it's good that Ganguly has found this new huddling technique...very important, if you ask me :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeh looks like their supporters collective brain cell isnt functioning properly....

Ooh it looks like Ive started a flame war, better run!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I had to laugh at this...They lose so the players become the most hated men on the planet & when they win they celebrate like its as if they've won the World Cup.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
This is not the first time Indian fans have reacted like this. Ever since TV and widespread sports coverage and publicity started, the fans have followed the team's fortunes(and misfortunes) like this. There is no logic involved, extreme passion(blind affection and blind hatred) and real desperation as far as the reactions to the team's wins and losses goes.

V Reddy

International Debutant
anilramavarma said:
This is not the first time Indian fans have reacted like this. Ever since TV and widespread sports coverage and publicity started, the fans have followed the team's fortunes(and misfortunes) like this. There is no logic involved, extreme passion(blind affection and blind hatred) and real desperation as far as the reactions to the team's wins and losses goes.
I can't remember of any instance of people doing like this. When did they attack the players and their families? I have seenSome people Speak on TV as if they have done some great service to the country and these cricketers are spoiling it.

krkode

State Captain
They might not have literally attacked players and/or their families, but seeing pictures of you burning in the streets and getting stones thrown through your windows and getting your house covered with black oil don't really make a you feel comfortable, now, do they? ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
At least we can see now where the Terrace Element come from.
I think that all nations have their fair share of 'terrace supporters', but just maybe India have a few more than some others

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
You could argue that The "Barmy Army" are Terrace (in fact they really do sit in the Terraces and insult people). But I've never seen them act in the ways the Indian supporters have. It appears the Barmy Army have a sense of humour :)

krkode

State Captain
luckyeddie said:
I think that all nations have their fair share of 'terrace supporters', but just maybe India have a few more than some others
That also has to do with the fact that it's much more populated than most other cricket playing countries :lol:

But as a ratio, I think all nations are pretty similar :P

anzac

International Debutant
apart from referring to a device used to disturb air flow, the term 'fan' is a 'user friendly' derivative of 'fanatic'.......

so far as I am aware a 'fanatic' has no balanced 'middle ground' and exhibits behaviour from one extreem to the other.

From memory I can recall previous occaisions where sub continent teams' families have had to endure this sort of 'fanatical' response when their team has not been doing well - particularly when overseas (the idiot faction always seem to be braver under those circumstances). I forget which team was involved but I remember hearing that in addition to the verbal abuse & effigy burning, their homes were the subject of manure attacks by the truck load!!!!!

IMO the beloved 'Terrace Element' are passionate supporters, if sometimes uninformed or clouded in their sentiment / beliefs, but generally harmless & provide some light relief. These other idiots are a different type of vermin that should be treated accordingly - just like any other hooligan element!!!!!

:!(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Oh! and what category does the British football hooligans belong to? Don't be too patronising, Marc. No one is that blameless. These kind of irrational, possibly antisocial elements are there in every country(ie every country which has some real passions). In India, because of the huge population and the huge popular support for cricket(which is not surprising because it is really the only popular sport where we have the potential to be world beaters), the numbers are more, that's all. If you take a percentage of the population in all these countries that indulge in these kind if reactions, you'll see that things more or less balance themselves out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anilramavarma said:
Oh! and what category does the British football hooligans belong to? Don't be too patronising, Marc.
Comparing the 2 is stupid IMO - Football Hooligans fight each other, they do not go to the extremes to praise or criticise their team, and they certainly do not burn effigy's of the players!