• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ team in bar 'brawl'

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It has been reported that several NZ players were involved in a bar brawl last night in Durban.
Apparently Chris Cairns got punched.

What is it with NZ sports teams in South Africa? usually the All Blacks & other rugby teams always get into fights there.

I hope this doesn't affect their World Cup campaign.

nibbs

International Captain
I heard some guy just randomly punched Chris Cairns, but the Black Caps had some security personal with them, so they all left. It wasn't an all out fight or any that will land the NZ team in any trouble or controversy.

Well thats how Brain Waddle put it...

nibbs

International Captain
For those interested I just read this from cricinfo.

The curse of Durban has struck another New Zealand sports team with cricketer Chris Cairns felled by a king hit outside a night club in the early hours of yesterday morning (South African time).

Cairns was with a group of nine players, support staff and New Zealand Press Association journalist Mark Geenty at the same venue.

Cairns was hit, without warning, on the back of the head. When collapsing to the footpath, he was assisted by fellow players and four security guards who have been with the players throughout the World Cup campaign.

Cairns, one of the world's leading all-rounders who is making a comeback after being off the scene for 12 months due to surgery on his knee, suffered only a cut lip in the incident.

According to an NZPA report the players, who included Cairns, captain Stephen Fleming, Craig McMillan, Andre Adams, Scott Styris, Daniel Vettori, Brendon McCullum, Jacob Oram and Kyle Mills were leaving the nightclub when members of a crowd outside wanted to know if they were New Zealanders.

When Cairns was hit a scuffle broke out. The New Zealanders were quick to help Cairns out.

"It was pretty tense. We were told to get out of there - we went," said Geenty who escaped with the players in the two cars.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
We all know that early reports are sometimes not the truth & a little sketchy but it sounds like it was just a local trying to provoke the players.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I can see the media have jumped on this.
Its the headline news on nzoom.co.nz & stuff.co.nz

Unfortunately its just been a case of drunk locals provoking the NZ Team combined with the fact that NZ sports teams have a bad history in Durban.

krkode

State Captain
he was assisted by fellow players
I was so tense when I first read this that I read that as "assassinated" :O

Oh well, atleast It's not serious...

Seems to me like the Kiwis didn't fight back or anything...they were just provoked, so they left...
Might've been some south africans who couldn't handle their defeat against the kiwis :P

Legglancer

State Regular
It seems ironic that NZ's cricket team security was compromised in South Africa on the same day they refused their engagement in Kenya on the grounds of Security !

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Legglancer said:
It seems ironic that NZ's cricket team security was compromised in South Africa on the same day they refused their engagement in Kenya on the grounds of Security !
Yeah, these kind of violent incidents do seem to follow the NZ team around in recent times. Hope, Cairns wasn't hurt too bad.

Kimbo

International Debutant
he wasnt badly hurt, just a cut lip. i wouldnt discount that cairns was being an arrogant prick.

krkode

State Captain
Sunil Havascar said:
he wasnt badly hurt, just a cut lip. i wouldnt discount that cairns was being an arrogant prick.
So does he deserve a knock?

IMO, nothing but a knock deserves a knock back.:P

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sunil Havascar said:
Why? Is he an arrogant prick as far as his character goes? Have there been other incidents like this concerning him?

Kimbo

International Debutant
no, i'm not saying that he deserved a knock, but he is very arrogant, not surprising though- his father goes on about his greatness in the paper every sunday...:rolleyes:

i can see how a drunken guy who is lookin for a bit of trouble would have a go at cairns, i guess his cricketing ability may have had something to do with it though. ;)

krkode

State Captain
but he is very arrogant, not surprising though- his father goes on about his greatness in the paper every sunday...
Maybe his father is just super-proud of him...that doesn't have much to do with Cairns's personal depiction as arrogant :P

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree. Do you actually know Cairns personally? I wouldn't go around assuming things like that. Of course, you probably do know him, who am I to say anything....

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well it is common knowledge that someone like Shoaib is arrogant. Not sure about Cairns though.

I remember a classic arrogance quote from Shoaib, describing the "ghetto" that is the Welsh city of Cardiff, when he was in line to play for Glamorgan..

"I know the streets of Cardiff very well, therefore I will take many wickets here"

nibbs

International Captain
I have heard more on this story. Apparently Cairns was ****ed. He down on dance floor, and he ekpt on taking his shrit off. Eventually he was asked to leave...

Kimbo

International Debutant
Cairns and McCullum took their shirts off to do the haka, they were then kicked out, and outside cairns was hit.

bliksem

Cricket Spectator
Some of the NZ team, including Cairns, took their shirts off and did the haka in front of a public whose cricket team had just lost a heartbreaking game to them. So they twatted the meathead. Quite understandable really.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bliksem said:
Some of the NZ team, including Cairns, took their shirts off and did the haka in front of a public whose cricket team had just lost a heartbreaking game to them. So they twatted the meathead. Quite understandable really.
So you think violence is a solution?

Heartbreaking loss, hardly an excuse, and I bet the South African side deplore the incident.