• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Nasser Hussain stay on as captain after the World Cup?

Should Nasser Hussain stay on as captain after the World Cup?

• Yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Broughton

Cricket Spectator
Should Nasser Hussain stay on as captain of the England team after the World Cup?
If not!
Who do you think should be the captain?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I feel that he ought to, but I think that there is no chance whatsoever that he will. I doubt very much whether he will ever play for England again - as long as certain members of the ECB are in office, anyway.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Definitely. They lacked leadership today (as they did in the NatWest final when he went off injured). There are no candidates to replace him, and he's in the team on merit to boot.

It would be pure lunacy for the ECB to force the guy out.

krkode

State Captain
I agree with Neil. As good of a player and role model for younger cricketers as Stewart is, there's no leader like Hussain. Hussain has lead England to some of the biggest successes they've had in a LONG time, and it would be terrible to remove him on account of his uncooperative nature - that too, which he did only for the safety of himself and his players. Cricket isn't the only thing they do, after all, they're all fathers and/or sons and husbands...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
He's got to stay, although I wouldn't mind seeing someone else as OD captain...Nick Knight wouldn't be a bad bet. Nasser just doesn't score enough fast enough in ODIs.

The problem we have though is that it looks like Tresco is jinxed when the team is left to him, England were going well in the Natwest Final then when Nasser comes back on all hell has broken loose.

krkode

State Captain
Yes....Nick Knight as ODI captain wouldn't be too bad...

I have a great appreciation for the guy :)

His 110 in a losing match against Australia absolutely bumped my respect for him, and also the fact that I always play warwickshire in ICC, makes me respect/like him more :D

But I still always had the impression that Nasser Hussain was always a Dravid-like player...takes his time, but he isn't crazily slow...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yes without a doubt he should, I cant believe people are discussing it! Just like football and the changes in personelle!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well think about it, Hussain has a history of getting bogged down in ODIs and Knight is a form player and a bloody nice bloke too :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I like having Hussain in the ODI side - at 4 or 5, he's the ideal man IMO for the middle tranche of the innings. Also, he's a fine fielder.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he should stay on, no doubt, but anyway can someone tell me why Stewart was captain and not Trescothick against Namibia. I was under the impression Trescothick was the England Vice Captain premenantly.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
England don't have an official vice captain, but usually it has been Tresco to take over. Though neither he or Stewart have been much of a success captaining England, although Stewart was very impressive standing in for Hussain in 2000 against Zimbabwe and the WIndies: 3 100s then a 97 :O

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
interesting cause i seem to remember tresco captaining england a few times, he captained when i saw england play here in aus earlier this summer, but i cant recall wheather or not stewart was playing.