• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands plight

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibbs

International Captain
The English cricket team are in the exact same situation as New Zealand. They opted out of a game against, a team they would have probably beaten on any given day. They question now is, can they repeat the heroics of the New Zealanders? They must win two of their three big games against India, Pakistan and Australia. Realistically they should be able to beat India in their current form, but Australia or Pakistan?, I don't know. They'll need a miracle against Australia, and something of the same sort against Pakistan.

In my personal opinion, I think England are screwed...

Your thoughts?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
england will make it, they will beat India and Pakistan. But obviously go down to australia

Bazza

International 12th Man
I am fairly confident of our chances against India because of their form so far but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'd rather be a pleasantly surprised pessimist than a gutted optimist.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Although England aren't in a great position, I think to describe them as "screwed" is a bit OTT.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I dont think england can realistically make the Super Six, but at least they stood up for what they believed in and were not pushed into playing a game they were not comfortable with playing.

Hey at this rate we could be enjoying a Kenya v Zimbabwe final at the Wanderers. I would bet on Zim winning it from there!

Bazza

International 12th Man
No because Zimbabwe would insist the match should be staged in Harare, and if it were anywhere else would boycott it, hence Kenya get the victory!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I cant see why so many people think england wont make it. India are in horrible form, and really if they win the games they should, they would only need to beat Pakistan or Australia. fair enough australia are in awesome form, they probably wont beat them. But all it takes is some one to offer the pakistan players a couple of grand to fail and they are as good as through.
no, but realistically, they can win, England are in ok form, have some good players and its definately not beyond them.

nibbs

International Captain
The thing that has ****ed me off in the England and NZ saga is the fact that the ICC is only interested in the money, and not player safety. Kenya and Zimbabwe are not safe places. Its sad really.

At the end of the day, if NZ or England believed they were good enough to win the cup, then defaulting a game shouldn't be a worry. Its looks like NZ are through, and our chances were boosted by the abandoned game between the West Indies and Bangladesh...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If India beat Zimbabwe today then I think the 3rd spot will be between England & India.

Pakistan should come 2nd if their bowlers find some form which is looking likely.

Choora

State Regular
Muzza said:
The English cricket team are in the exact same situation as New Zealand. They opted out of a game against, a team they would have probably beaten on any given day. They question now is, can they repeat the heroics of the New Zealanders? They must win two of their three big games against India, Pakistan and Australia. Realistically they should be able to beat India in their current form, but Australia or Pakistan?, I don't know. They'll need a miracle against Australia, and something of the same sort against Pakistan.

In my personal opinion, I think England are screwed...

Your thoughts?
Fair assesment!

Choora

State Regular
broncoman said:
I cant see why so many people think england wont make it. India are in horrible form, and really if they win the games they should, they would only need to beat Pakistan or Australia. fair enough australia are in awesome form, they probably wont beat them. But all it takes is some one to offer the pakistan players a couple of grand to fail and they are as good as through.
no, but realistically, they can win, England are in ok form, have some good players and its definately not beyond them.
If you had seen the England-Namibia match then you would have known as to why people have been writing England off. Namibia actually gave England a scare and scored about 200 against English bowlers, Namibia coach admitted afterwards that English bowlers were ordinary. England's only chance will be against a topsy turvy side like Pak, if Pakistan plays poorly( something which they can) then England might make it to the Super six, otherrwise they have no hope!

Cloete

International Captain
well gr8 effort from namibia. but i doubt england would mind too much. a win's a win. i think they were taking the game quite lightly.

Choora

State Regular
krkode said:
That wouldn't be an admittance...that would be a claim...:yawn:
He was claiming afterwards as to how well had Namibia team performed against England, but when the reporter asked him as to whether Namibia's batters were not benefitted from England's bowlers poor display? to which he admitted that England's bowling was rusty and it helped his batsmen's cause!

krkode

State Captain
But I don't think you should use the word "admitted," there still.

Admitted is a word you use when talking about something that's your own. If the English coach said the English bowlers were ordinary, he would be admitting it. If the Namibian coach said the Namibian bowlers were ordinary, he would be admitting it. You can't "admit" something about things that are not yours.

For example, it would be incorrect of me to say "Tendulkar admitted that Australia was a bad team," It would be correct to say "Tendulkar admitted that India was a bad team."

Admitted seems a little too judgemental when used that way.

But then, maybe my English is wrong ;)

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Oh my God! Namibia have scored over 200 against England and pretty much gone the distance! Calling this England side ordinary is doing it an injustice. The term "cricketing minnow" seems more appropriate.

England can pull off a shock win against good sides now and again, but generally struggle! I'm an optimist, but there is no hope for England in this tournament. None whatsoever

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
He was claiming afterwards as to how well had Namibia team performed against England, but when the reporter asked him as to whether Namibia's batters were not benefitted from England's bowlers poor display? to which he admitted that England's bowling was rusty and it helped his batsmen's cause!
So at no point did he say anything about England's bowlers being ordinary, but he did admit that they were a bit rusty and out of form, which was the main reason for his side's performance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jaspalsinghrana said:
Oh my God! Namibia have scored over 200 against England and pretty much gone the distance! Calling this England side ordinary is doing it an injustice. The term "cricketing minnow" seems more appropriate.

England can pull off a shock win against good sides now and again, but generally struggle! I'm an optimist, but there is no hope for England in this tournament. None whatsoever
England were always in control, and won by 60+ runs - why the massive over-reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.