• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee in crowd trouble

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From rediff.com
---------------------------------------------------

Controversy never seems to leave the Australian team alone. First it was the Darren Lehmann incident in Australia; now paceman Brett Lee finds himself in the middle of an unpleasant row

A complaint is likely to be filed against the Australian fast bowler because of his conduct during the India- Australia match, during which he is alleged to have abused a group of Indian and South African fans.

Shayden Singh, who is communications manager and founder of the 'Bharat Army' (group of Indian fans), was critical about the incident.

"We were sitting behind Lee and there was a lot of friendly, funny banter going on. All light-hearted stuff, no swear words were used.

"In recent times there has been a lot of talk about Brett Lee's action, so were just talking aloud about that when he suddenly turned around and started swearing at us, first in English and then in Hindi," Shayden said.

"I was just five yards away from him and there is no way I am making a mistake here. I was made all the more angry by the fact that there were impressionable young children around and this is not the kind of stuff that you want them hear.

"There were at least five of us, including two South African fans, who will definitely complain to the ICC and the World Cup organizing committee about the incident. We are hoping that action will be taken against Lee," he added.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well in my opinion thats called provoking, what do you expect to get from a fast bowler when he's bowled a long spell in the heat?
And then some idiots in the crowd think they can call him a chucker & not expect some reaction. It also depends on what the people involved define "light-hearted banter" as.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I didn't know he could speak Hindi...I doubt he can and so there goes that arguement...why would he especially learn swear words in Hindi?

krkode

State Captain
I agree that it seems provoked, but isn't it part of a cricketer's responsibility to keep his cool in such situations?

Andy Caddick once "gave the finger" to an Aussie in the crowd, and (i'm not sure about this rumor's credibility), I heard Inzamam once beat up a guy in the crowd for calling him "aloo" (potato in Hindi)...both were warned/fined for that...
Muralitharan never said anything bad to the Aussie crowd that gave him nightmares (but you never know what he might be saying in his own language)...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
In general it just sounds like some guy trying to get some publicity at the expense of a well known face.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Looks like crowds are having loads of fun with Murali and Lee. Akhtar should soon join the list.

I guess it reflects what happens on message boards newspaper columns and everywhere else..

If the crowds insult and speak obscenely to a player I dont see why he shouldn't react if things get excessive. They should have some degree of tolerance but if things have gone too far, they are bound to react. It's not fair that just because Lee or Inzi are celebrities, they need to swallow all kinds of insults day in and day out.

Incidents like people laughing at Murali when he got injured are in very bad taste though :!( They're jerks.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This story had credibility until it claimed he'd swore at them in Hindi!

I feel this could be something to do with the bloke wanting to get his "Bharat Army" some recognition (wonder where he got the idea of it?)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
"In recent times there has been a lot of talk about Brett Lee's action, so were just talking aloud"

this is the proof in the pudding for me. If they were talking aloud they were definately trying to provoke him. This story has very poor taste to it & taking Lee to court is a joke & a typical loser after money which he'll probably get because the player is usually in the wrong.

Kimbo

International Debutant
But I still think that a international player shouldnt be responding with swearing, especially with children around.

At Eden Park I remember chnts going up about shoaib being a chucker and he just ignored it.
Collingwood was labelled a ****** (as many are, eden pk terraces not exactly what you would call original). Collingwood just waved at us and continued, then took a catch and had some real fun.

Brett Lee is a heavy sort of guy though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah there's no excuse for swearing.

But Lee will have had enough of the chucking issue particularly after the Barmy Army chants in Australia & plus he's just bowled express pace in the heat so I doubt he'd take much to be provoked.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yea but Akhtar and Murali in particular get hassled about chucking all the time, by crowds and in documents, you dont see them mouthing off at crowds.

Brett Lee in my opinion is a scary kind of guy. When he takes wickets you watch his celebration, you can see hate in his eyes. Me and my Mum get sickened at the sight of it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well since im a bowler, i love seeing a fast bowler run down the wicket & show some aggression..good stuff, as long as its nothing too degrading.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think that's hate in his eyes - more fire and steely determination.

Scary, sure, but the scowl on Alan Donald's face when he bowls is something else - especially with his war paint on.

Kimbo

International Debutant
well i'm a spinner... i just smile when i'm getting on top of the batsman.

in the nets i have tried to work on my mean face when i try to bowl fast, i cant do it though. i am a giggler..

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Well these incidenst always seem to come out looking bad for the player involved, I have been to matches and I have seen exactly what the players are dealt with. I wont blame Lee for reciprocating. But there may not be a code of conduct for spectators but there is one on certainly for the cricketers.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Sunil Havascar said:
Brett Lee in my opinion is a scary kind of guy. When he takes wickets you watch his celebration, you can see hate in his eyes. Me and my Mum get sickened at the sight of it.
Naah, its great to see him bowl like that. Always a good sight to see a fiery fast bowler throw out loops of fire.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
This story had credibility until it claimed he'd swore at them in Hindi!

I feel this could be something to do with the bloke wanting to get his "Bharat Army" some recognition (wonder where he got the idea of it?)
And yet again Marc types out my view to the letter...:rolleyes: (well maybe not, but hey)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Sunil Havascar said:
well i'm a spinner... i just smile when i'm getting on top of the batsman.

in the nets i have tried to work on my mean face when i try to bowl fast, i cant do it though. i am a giggler..
Same here, I've never been amazingly fast and I usually just make a joke out of it but once I was brought on to bowl and I bowled a nicely flighted delivery which was larruped through the covers, so I got all worked up and just ran in and bowled 5 dead straight balls at about twice my usual pace, all but one hit his pads but the umpire refused to give them saying they pitched outside leg (I'm left arm, bowling over the wicket) even though several balls were low full tosses on middle stump! That just got me more and more worked up.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
I don't think that's hate in his eyes - more fire and steely determination.
Or it's "WOW I took a Test Wicket"...it's not as common a sight as it was before.