• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ v South Africa

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well this might be the most important match of the World Cup so far because its likely that whichever team loses will probably be knocked out of the prelim stage.

Now everyone knows that NZ have a mental block against South Africa & that their record is extremely poor, so the odds are firmly against them on this one.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yes, SA certainly have the edge going into the match. Interesting to see that Craig McMillan has been brought back into the team of 12. I feel that this is a BIG mistake by the NZ selectors. A player doesn't just return to form with the click of a finger.

NZ need one of their top 5 batters to get 100. If this happens then they could win. If not no chance.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep & its at the expense of Chris Harris. A big call by the selectors but you could say that Harris in both the matches he has played has been terrible with the bat aswell.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I thought Sinclair Might have got a go. I would have put him in instead of McMillan.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I think NZ have a better chance in this game. SAF's bowling is not that great if you see off Ntini and Pollock and in the batting you have to dismiss Gibbs and Kallis early. I favour NZ in this one.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
It's high time NZ beat SA.
But its highly unlikely too.

Is Graeme Smith back (for Jonty)?

Will depend a lot on the track. If the track is a good one, and Astle's torrid time continues, NZ will be beaten easily.

I heard someone say that Astle does well only against England..
I thought India has the honour of giving him runs and wickets too.. he's a quality bat and the only one apart from Cairns from the NZ team that wins my respect :D

krkode

State Captain
I'm just sad Alan Donald isn't his same old self again...*thinks back to the day when Donald could rip through any batting line up*

Oh well, seeing that SA don't have some of their best in form, there is no real underdog to this game - which would usually have been NZ.

With Styris and Bond in sparkles, they could rip through any team.

But it'd be pretty strange to not see SA in the super six, so I doubt that they'll just get brushed aside that easily.

World cups are more of a class thing - not so much of a form thing. The most inform teams may do well, but the classiest teams win :D -> just my opinion on things...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Astle is having an aweful time. A groin injury and also a hernia. And still he plays on.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I thought NZ had got another rotten decision from the umpire when Gibbs wasn't given out caught behind but the snickometer didnt show anything as ball passed bat. Crazy thing is tho, you could hear the noise, but the snickometer showed nothing at all...

Fixed! Fixed I say!

Should be a good match.

I hope its as good as the SA v WI match. I think and hope that South Africa can win. They have a stronger team in my opinion. SA are looking pretty good at the moment after they won the toss and batted 1st. SA are 0/39 after 7 overs. Smith is on 18 off 20 and Gibbs is 15 off 24.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well 130-2 at half way, NZ are looking in trouble with a suddenly back on-song Zulu waiting for later on, not to mention the hitting of Pollock and Boucher (and interestingly Kirsten is yet to bat)

Looking at the other scores so far, well bowled Anderson, you can only bowl at what's in front of you, and you've done superbly there.

Namibia vs. Pakistan looks interesting as well, Pakistan 113-2 from 27 overs - would like to push the rate up a little bit soon I'd have thought.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Well... New Zealand again had no luck when Gibbs was lucky not to be given lbw to Oram. Now he is really having a go at Vettori... ouch!

New Zealand are going to be chasing about 300 I'd say.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The first 10 overs or so were very streaky for the South Africans, there were about 7 french cuts & a couple of shots that just missed the fielders not to mention the one-handed catch by Astle in the slips which was Bond's fault for balling a no-ball.

But after Gibbs got his century it really was good batting & with the way Pakistan chased against Australia, NZ's chances are very poor.

NZ's fielding & bowling was a mixed bag & I think to get this score NZ may need to consider trying Andre Adams at 3 because there's no way they'll get this target if they don't go for gold from ball 1.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, McMillan & Fleming are on the rampage.

82/0 after 12.3 overs

Fleming destroyed kallis & NZ have a chance to win if the rain comes at 25 overs.
they only need 102 if they don't lose a wicket at 25 overs.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yep, Fleming is looking in very good form.

mcmillan is trying, looks out of form but the odd shot is coming off for him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
ooo, Boucher drops the easiest catch i've ever seen so Fleming survives.

89/0 after 14 overs.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Controversity everywhere at the moment, rain bucketing down & confusion over an over-throw.