• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ v South Africa

krkode

State Captain
krkode said:
What a comeback for a team that forfeited an easy win game. Awesome stuff...
psst...if england do well, India's chances are lower, so I can't support that :D

j/k I just hope India takes one of the spots and Pakistan/Zimbabwe/England takes the other...We all know Aus will make it...:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I would love to see England or Zimbabwe do well :)

And anyone who deserves it out of the rest ;)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Well this is best I have seen the Kiwi's play, and really after this sort of win they should not look back. Against South Africa at their home ground, and they produce some of the best and unexpected cricket. Fantastic stuff. But this means also that SA will be pushed really hard for the super six spot and I want to see a competitive side like them in there. West Indies should now beat up the Sri Lankans.....well atleast I wish....and then it will be a mishmash of super six contenders. And I agree Tim, after downing South Africa, New Zealand should make it to the semi-finals....after the match I was just asking myself, Could this be their World cup ?

Rich2001

International Captain
Hats off to New Zealand for a fantastic chase, when I heard they would need 307 to win... I doubted they would get close, with most of their batsman not in the best of touches, however after watching the final stages of the England game, I switched back to the NZ game to find only 1 wicket down and Fleming already on about 73* after about 18 overs... The rest of the inngs was fantastic entertainment and quite easy the best game of the World Cup so far.... To be chasing a target of 307 and knowing you have to win to stay in the World Cup to win the game only 1 wicket down was quite amazing (ok even with the help of the rain and a revised total of 230 odd, 1 down agaist one of the best bowling attacks around is quite incriable)

I agree with whoever said it :rolleyes: That NZ would still have got the 307 anyway, the way they were playing was quite fantastic and with 9 wickets left which about 8 that can bat, also even with either Fleming or Astle getting out, they still would have had a completly settled batsman out there to control the game, and also with SA getting desprate for a much needed brakthrough Pollock bought back all his main bolwers in like the mid to late 20 overs, therefore for about 20 overs the strike bowlers only could have bowled about 10 between them if that.

Top Stuff New Zealand

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't go so far as to say that NZ will make the semis after one game.

Keep in mind that the bowling wasn't that great in this game.

Also, don't count SA out as yet. Remember Australia's miracle run to the WC last time. They had a similarly poor start.

krkode

State Captain
heh - after all, the under dogs have *always* won after '79...

India in 83 were definitely not thought to be able to win...

Not so sure about Aus in 87...

Pakistan in 92 were also almost gone and/or had a very close final..

Sri Lanka in 96 was quite a surprise indeed...

Aus started off on the wrong foot in 99 but came back to show who's boss later on...

And now this :yawn: :duh:

nibbs

International Captain
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!!!!!!!!

I just I'd say that I dont think I've been so satisfied after a game of cricket. Stephen Fleming is legend. Hooray!!!!!!!!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well in the end that pitch was a belter & neither side really had much chance in the field.

But NZ are starting to build up some good form & with the easy games coming up they can rest the key players & let others like McMillan & Harris find some form.

Damn bloody rain!

It could have been a much better match than it was. I think that SA were very unlucky in this match. I hope they get through because I have abit of a soft spot for them. I think that Australia currently look in better form than any other. I really hope that they can win it.

I hope that Aus play NZ in the Final and beat them badly!!:D :D

anzac

International Debutant
oh my word - what a match for Fleming & The Black Caps!!!!!

I was not too enthused about chasing 307 but once the coverage came on at 80/0 after 13 I could not stop watching. It may not be the greatest ODI win for NZ but it certainly rates amongst the best. Probably the best Kiwi chase I have seen since Cairn's effort in the Nairobi final, and b4 that the 297 V England by Coney & Hadlee.

I agree that NZ would have been hot favorites to reach the 307. At the time the match was stopped for rain & the overs reduced NZ were ahead of the SA innings at the same stage, and had been pulling away over the last 5 - 10 overs. With big hitters like Cairns, Adams, McCullum, Oram, Styris & Bond all to come and Astle well established, the Kiwi batting had a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of the platform created - something they have not been able to do for some time. Pollock had had to use his best bowlers to try and break thru, so their attack would have had many of their teeth pulled on a batter friendly pitch.

In some ways SA may feel robbed having posted a score of 306 (shades of the recent Ind V WI ODI series???), but in others NZ were robbed of the opportunity to post an even more emphatic victory!!!

Flemings' innings was all control & class and he dominated the SAfricans into submission. The innings gets my vote as the best of the WC to date & this was probably the best match to date.

On the local TV link Ian Chappel could not stop raving about Fleming - his batting, his Captaincy & his approach to cricket. He also said that IHO NZ is the only team in the game that is not intimidated by the Aussies, and that has a lot to do with Fleming whom he rates as the best Captain in the game at the moment. Very big praise from a legend in the sport.

The bowling from both teams looked ordinary but I think this was as much due to the pitch & smallish ground as anything. Vettori & Styris were also heroes for NZ, despite each having 20 odd taken off their last overs.

There is much to enthuse about this victory & the performance from the top order, but they must not let this become another one off performance. The rest of the batting order must find some form & consistency in the remaining group matches b4 heading into the Super Six.

:D

nibbs

International Captain
Thanks for your comments Rich. I am quite happy with New Zealand now. We look a pretty good chance of making the super six.