• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How poor are Bangladesh?

HOWZTHAT!!!(1)

Cricket Spectator
How poor are Bangladesh?
It's absolutely shocking.
How can u lose 4 wickets in 5 balls.
It's more or less impossible.
Reply with your views.:lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You cannot judge a team on their performance in just one over (OK, with Bangladesh you probably can).

As (probably) the oldest regular contributor to these hallowed pages, I would like to remind you young whippersnappers that in 1972, Sussex lost 5 wickets in a single over against Surrey at Eastbourne - and one of those was a run-out.

Pat Pocock was the chief architect. taking a mere 3 wickets in one over then following that up with a 4-ball trick in his next. In the space of 11 balls from the bowler, 8 wickets fell (7 for Pocock) so Bangladesh still have a long way to go to catch up in the ineptitude stakes.

Nice try, though.

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
You cannot judge a team on their performance in just one over (OK, with Bangladesh you probably can).

As (probably) the oldest regular contributor to these hallowed pages, I would like to remind you young whippersnappers that in 1972, Sussex lost 5 wickets in a single over against Surrey at Eastbourne - and one of those was a run-out.

Pat Pocock was the chief architect. taking a mere 3 wickets in one over then following that up with a 4-ball trick in his next. In the space of 11 balls from the bowler, 8 wickets fell (7 for Pocock) so Bangladesh still have a long way to go to catch up in the ineptitude stakes.

Nice try, though.
LE - Please tell me Surrey went on to win that match! :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich2001 said:
LE - Please tell me Surrey went on to win that match! :lol:
I have no idea where that years Wisden is (probably in my loft) but I seem to recall that yes, they did win.

It may well have been right at the death in a rain-affected game (pitches were left uncovered right about that time) when the wicket became a sticky turner.

But I'm old, senile and just too feeble to climb up into the loft to find out for sure.

Maybe I should move to Eastbourne.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They're not as bad as they seem.

The players are talented, it's just that there is too much politics with an overbearing influence on the Bangladeshi Cricket scene, so decisions aren't taken long-term and with the good of Cricket in mind, just self-gratification and brownie points.

The players are young and inexperienced for the most part, give them time and they'll get there.

anzac

International Debutant
what are the comparisons for Bangladesh & SL when they were given Test status & what was their respective merits for being granted Test status?????? (I only use SL as they were the last addition prior to Bangladesh).

From memory everyone improved their averages v SL in the initial years until they got their home form in shape. Since then they have forged an impressive record, albeit one which is based upon their home series victories. Conversley NZ probably has one of the worst records for match & series victories v games played etc.

:)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bangladesh are terrible, it is a farce that they were let into the test arena which is supposed to be the cream of the crop...

Neil how can you say that Bangladesh are even talented? The only smidgin of having even talent, let alone skill and consistency came V Pakistan in 1999. And that match has been investigated for match fixing.. Maybe the only talented players are Mohammed Ashraful and Alok Kopali.

As for Zimbabwe being Whipping boys, I agree with you, but at least they normally compete well and play hard. They also spring suprises occasionaly and hammer mediocre teams when they get the chance to play them..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Neil how can you say that Bangladesh are even talented? The only smidgin of having even talent, let alone skill and consistency came V Pakistan in 1999. And that match has been investigated for match fixing.. Maybe the only talented players are Mohammed Ashraful and Alok Kapali.
There are huge technical weaknesses off the back foot, so short stuff will do them, but give them time to get experience then they'll do something.

How would the current Aussie side have fared when they were all in their late teens?

Legglancer

State Regular
Langeveldt said:

As for Zimbabwe being Whipping boys, I agree with you, but at least they normally compete well and play hard. They also spring suprises occasionaly and hammer mediocre teams when they get the chance to play them..

You are forgetting the fact that Zimbabwe have been playing test cricket for about 10 years more than Bangladesh and still they are playing at a substandard level compared to the senior test playing nations. If the world has patience with Zimbabwe they shouldent rush to judgement against bangladesh either. However I believe that kenya should have been looked at before bangladesh being granted test status.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Legglancer said:
You are forgetting the fact that Zimbabwe have been playing test cricket for about 10 years more than Bangladesh and still they are playing at a substandard level compared to the senior test playing nations. If the world has patience with Zimbabwe they shouldent rush to judgement against bangladesh either. However I believe that kenya should have been looked at before bangladesh being granted test status.
You try living in an environment like the Zimbabwe players have to, and have racially enforced selections, then you try and beat the best...good luck

Legglancer

State Regular
Rik said:
You try living in an environment like the Zimbabwe players have to, and have racially enforced selections, then you try and beat the best...good luck

Once again (not surprisingly) you are missing the point ..... My observation about about Zimbabwe's standard of cricket is to give a broader perspective for the apparent poor standard of cricket bangladesh has been playing.

Why Zimbabwe has not acheived test standard yet? is another question alltogether. And The reason's I am sure are myriad and are not exclusive to one country.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Legglancer said:
Once again (not surprisingly) you are missing the point ..... My observation about about Zimbabwe's standard of cricket is to give a broader perspective for the apparent poor standard of cricket bangladesh has been playing.

Why Zimbabwe has not acheived test standard yet? is another question alltogether. And The reason's I am sure are myriad and are not exclusive to one country.
They have reached Test Standard. I'm just saying why they have been underperforming for the last few years. You are obviously forgetting when Zimbabwe defeated Pakistan...

Zimbabwe deserve their test status. Any team with Heath Streak and Andy Flower...2 world class players, yet you say they are not Test Standard...

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Zimbabwe are a good team. They should get more opportunities. How many 5 test series have they played? How many series in Australia? And people criticise India 'cos we invite them any more often :)
They have some really good batsmen, are the best players of spin after India and Lanka, have three or four good pacemen, albiet inconsistant, and used to produce world class leggies with some consistancy. I know the records dont show they are all that good, but they do hold their own on the ground.

Just some trivia and correct me if I am wrong- NZ took 30 or so years to win their first test. They won their second test six or seven years later. They won only 3 tests in the decade from 1970-1980 when they played the most no. of matches they'd played till 1980. Today they've won 53 tests. NZ always had some good players though, Sutcliffe and Glen Turner being right up there as amongst the world's best.

Even Lanka have actually looked competitive in the test arena only in the last four or so years though they were actually a good quality team back in the mid eighties (as were the Zimbabweans).

Legglancer

State Regular
Rik said:
They have reached Test Standard. I'm just saying why they have been underperforming for the last few years. You are obviously forgetting when Zimbabwe defeated Pakistan...

Zimbabwe deserve their test status. Any team with Heath Streak and Andy Flower...2 world class players, yet you say they are not Test Standard...
Of course They do .... I never said Zimbabwe does not deserve test status .... I was only pointing out that their record after 10 years of playing with the elite is modest at best. whether they have truly reached test standard ? I dont think so. Having said that I think they have come up with some great perfomances over the years and have had some incredible players like houghton, Tricos, Streak, Strang, Tricos, Flower brothers.

Bangladesh Has played Test cricket for only 3 years, and I think its unfair harshly judge them on their performance so far. They need to be encouraged and given oppertunities.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yes but all this "oppertunity" means years of farcical meaningless series against the main countries of world cricket. Im annoyed that they were let in without proving themselves. It seems they only got in on the back of one ODI victory.

Think about it, one of the Chappell Brothers was coach in Bangladesh and he was so disilusioned by the lack of first class structure that he left, saying there was little or no hope for cricket there. That isnt the kind of thing that is going to be solved overnight, or even in 10 years in a poor country like Bangladesh..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Zimbabwe and NZ had World Class Players and actully made a fight of most matches even if they didn't win them. Bangladesh have surrendered meekly in all but their drawn Test, and their only World Class player, Bashar, is in a seriously deep hole at the moment. If Bangladesh can't even give Zimbabwe a game, with all their troubles, then there has to be doubt weather they are worthy of Test Status at all. Their loss to Canada makes me wonder weather they are worthy of playing recognised ODIs for good measure.

Langeveldt

Soutie
yes but if they have money and influence, I cannot see there status being taken away. I am trusting the ICC less and less as this winter drags on

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
yes but if they have money and influence, I cannot see there status being taken away. I am trusting the ICC less and less as this winter drags on
Errrm...Bangladesh are a 3rd world country...their principle export is rice and their pay structure is no where near even a kid's job over here...

I know this as I did a project at school about Bangladesh :)

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
Errrm...Bangladesh are a 3rd world country...their principle export is rice and their pay structure is no where near even a kid's job over here...

I know this as I did a project at school about Bangladesh :)
Well, I think he may have been comparing them to Kenya...Kenya isn't *as well off* as Bangladesh, i *think*...