Cricket Spectator

How poor are Bangladesh?

How poor are Bangladesh?
    It's absolutely shocking.
    How can u lose 4 wickets in 5 balls.
    It's more or less impossible.
    Reply with your views.

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    You cannot judge a team on their performance in just one over (OK, with Bangladesh you probably can).

As (probably) the oldest regular contributor to these hallowed pages, I would like to remind you young whippersnappers that in 1972, Sussex lost 5 wickets in a single over against Surrey at Eastbourne - and one of those was a run-out.

Pat Pocock was the chief architect. taking a mere 3 wickets in one over then following that up with a 4-ball trick in his next. In the space of 11 balls from the bowler, 8 wickets fell (7 for Pocock) so Bangladesh still have a long way to go to catch up in the ineptitude stakes.

Nice try, though.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Captain
    Originally posted by luckyeddie
    You cannot judge a team on their performance in just one over (OK, with Bangladesh you probably can).

As (probably) the oldest regular contributor to these hallowed pages, I would like to remind you young whippersnappers that in 1972, Sussex lost 5 wickets in a single over against Surrey at Eastbourne - and one of those was a run-out.

Pat Pocock was the chief architect. taking a mere 3 wickets in one over then following that up with a 4-ball trick in his next. In the space of 11 balls from the bowler, 8 wickets fell (7 for Pocock) so Bangladesh still have a long way to go to catch up in the ineptitude stakes.

Nice try, though.
    LE - Please tell me Surrey went on to win that match!

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by Rich2001
    LE - Please tell me Surrey went on to win that match!
    I have no idea where that years Wisden is (probably in my loft) but I seem to recall that yes, they did win.

It may well have been right at the death in a rain-affected game (pitches were left uncovered right about that time) when the wicket became a sticky turner.

But I'm old, senile and just too feeble to climb up into the loft to find out for sure.

Maybe I should move to Eastbourne.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    They're not as bad as they seem.

The players are talented, it's just that there is too much politics with an overbearing influence on the Bangladeshi Cricket scene, so decisions aren't taken long-term and with the good of Cricket in mind, just self-gratification and brownie points.

The players are young and inexperienced for the most part, give them time and they'll get there.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Debutant
    what are the comparisons for Bangladesh & SL when they were given Test status & what was their respective merits for being granted Test status?????? (I only use SL as they were the last addition prior to Bangladesh).

From memory everyone improved their averages v SL in the initial years until they got their home form in shape. Since then they have forged an impressive record, albeit one which is based upon their home series victories. Conversley NZ probably has one of the worst records for match & series victories v games played etc.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    You're forgetting Zimbabwe, who still seem to be whipping boys.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Pinball Champion!
    Bangladesh are terrible, it is a farce that they were let into the test arena which is supposed to be the cream of the crop...

Neil how can you say that Bangladesh are even talented? The only smidgin of having even talent, let alone skill and consistency came V Pakistan in 1999. And that match has been investigated for match fixing.. Maybe the only talented players are Mohammed Ashraful and Alok Kopali.

As for Zimbabwe being Whipping boys, I agree with you, but at least they normally compete well and play hard. They also spring suprises occasionaly and hammer mediocre teams when they get the chance to play them..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Neil how can you say that Bangladesh are even talented? The only smidgin of having even talent, let alone skill and consistency came V Pakistan in 1999. And that match has been investigated for match fixing.. Maybe the only talented players are Mohammed Ashraful and Alok Kapali.
    There are huge technical weaknesses off the back foot, so short stuff will do them, but give them time to get experience then they'll do something.

How would the current Aussie side have fared when they were all in their late teens?

State Regular
    Originally posted by Langeveldt

As for Zimbabwe being Whipping boys, I agree with you, but at least they normally compete well and play hard. They also spring suprises occasionaly and hammer mediocre teams when they get the chance to play them..

You are forgetting the fact that Zimbabwe have been playing test cricket for about 10 years more than Bangladesh and still they are playing at a substandard level compared to the senior test playing nations. If the world has patience with Zimbabwe they shouldent rush to judgement against bangladesh either. However I believe that kenya should have been looked at before bangladesh being granted test status.

Rik
    Originally posted by Legglancer
    You are forgetting the fact that Zimbabwe have been playing test cricket for about 10 years more than Bangladesh and still they are playing at a substandard level compared to the senior test playing nations. If the world has patience with Zimbabwe they shouldent rush to judgement against bangladesh either. However I believe that kenya should have been looked at before bangladesh being granted test status.
    You try living in an environment like the Zimbabwe players have to, and have racially enforced selections, then you try and beat the best...good luck
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

State Regular
    Originally posted by Rik
    You try living in an environment like the Zimbabwe players have to, and have racially enforced selections, then you try and beat the best...good luck

Once again (not surprisingly) you are missing the point ..... My observation about about Zimbabwe's standard of cricket is to give a broader perspective for the apparent poor standard of cricket bangladesh has been playing.

Why Zimbabwe has not acheived test standard yet? is another question alltogether. And The reason's I am sure are myriad and are not exclusive to one country.

Rik
    Originally posted by Legglancer
    Once again (not surprisingly) you are missing the point ..... My observation about about Zimbabwe's standard of cricket is to give a broader perspective for the apparent poor standard of cricket bangladesh has been playing.

Why Zimbabwe has not acheived test standard yet? is another question alltogether. And The reason's I am sure are myriad and are not exclusive to one country.
    They have reached Test Standard. I'm just saying why they have been underperforming for the last few years. You are obviously forgetting when Zimbabwe defeated Pakistan...

Zimbabwe deserve their test status. Any team with Heath Streak and Andy Flower...2 world class players, yet you say they are not Test Standard...

U19 Vice-Captain
    Zimbabwe are a good team. They should get more opportunities. How many 5 test series have they played? How many series in Australia? And people criticise India 'cos we invite them any more often
    They have some really good batsmen, are the best players of spin after India and Lanka, have three or four good pacemen, albiet inconsistant, and used to produce world class leggies with some consistancy. I know the records dont show they are all that good, but they do hold their own on the ground.

Just some trivia and correct me if I am wrong- NZ took 30 or so years to win their first test. They won their second test six or seven years later. They won only 3 tests in the decade from 1970-1980 when they played the most no. of matches they'd played till 1980. Today they've won 53 tests. NZ always had some good players though, Sutcliffe and Glen Turner being right up there as amongst the world's best.

Even Lanka have actually looked competitive in the test arena only in the last four or so years though they were actually a good quality team back in the mid eighties (as were the Zimbabweans).

State Regular
    Originally posted by Rik
    They have reached Test Standard. I'm just saying why they have been underperforming for the last few years. You are obviously forgetting when Zimbabwe defeated Pakistan...

Zimbabwe deserve their test status. Any team with Heath Streak and Andy Flower...2 world class players, yet you say they are not Test Standard...
    Of course They do .... I never said Zimbabwe does not deserve test status .... I was only pointing out that their record after 10 years of playing with the elite is modest at best. whether they have truly reached test standard ? I dont think so. Having said that I think they have come up with some great perfomances over the years and have had some incredible players like houghton, Tricos, Streak, Strang, Tricos, Flower brothers.

Bangladesh Has played Test cricket for only 3 years, and I think its unfair harshly judge them on their performance so far. They need to be encouraged and given oppertunities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information