• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How poor are Bangladesh?

Legglancer

State Regular
Rik said:
Zimbabwe and NZ had World Class Players and actully made a fight of most matches even if they didn't win them. Bangladesh have surrendered meekly in all but their drawn Test, and their only World Class player, Bashar, is in a seriously deep hole at the moment. If Bangladesh can't even give Zimbabwe a game, with all their troubles, then there has to be doubt weather they are worthy of Test Status at all. Their loss to Canada makes me wonder weather they are worthy of playing recognised ODIs for good measure.
Well I am glad that the power's that be in cricket have a broader perspecive than people such as you. Going by your expectations of standards, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and definitely Sri Lanka wouldn't have qualified to play tests.

Look where their are now :lol:

krkode

State Captain
Well, every team takes a few years to get settled in. You can't expect a newly joined test team to win the world cup :P

Speaking of new test playing teams winning world cups, didn't Sri Lanka win their 3rd world cup after they got to be a test playing team? That's quite remarkable...:wow:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Legglancer said:
Once again (not surprisingly) you are missing the point ..... My observation about about Zimbabwe's standard of cricket is to give a broader perspective for the apparent poor standard of cricket bangladesh has been playing.
No, he's not - in the current situation the Zimbabwean players find themselves in, it's no shock that they're not playing well!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Yes but all this "oppertunity" means years of farcical meaningless series against the main countries of world cricket. Im annoyed that they were let in without proving themselves. It seems they only got in on the back of one ODI victory.
And one bloke who was in charge of the ICC and felt he needed more of his continent's teams at the big table.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
There are huge technical weaknesses off the back foot, so short stuff will do them, but give them time to get experience then they'll do something.
What about the front foot ? As far as I have seen, there is total lack of commitment when it comes to front foot shots (probably got to do with not having faced quality pacers) but the front shots they attempt are a half step forward swing off the bat, usually ending at slip or short cover......outside offstump good length should do it faster.

Legglancer

State Regular
marc71178 said:
No, he's not - in the current situation the Zimbabwean players find themselves in, it's no shock that they're not playing well!
That's totally besides the point .... I am not referring to the "current situation" :rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Legglancer said:
That's totally besides the point .... I am not referring to the "current situation" :rolleyes:
This situation has been going on for 2 or 3 years, about the same time scale that spans the Zimbabwean slump in form...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Legglancer said:
Well I am glad that the power's that be in cricket have a broader perspecive than people such as you. Going by your expectations of standards, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and definitely Sri Lanka wouldn't have qualified to play tests.

Look where their are now :lol:
Yes I would have let all those teams play Test Cricket. They all have world class players and did when they started off. Bangladesh have one very out of form Class player and no one else. All their "broader perspective" has brought is an increase in batting averages and a lowering of bowling averages for the opposition, one win in the last 4 years (a contriversial win over Pakistan), 1 rain affected draw and defeat after defeat after defeat after defeat...it wouldn't be so bad if they put up a fight...but they simply haven't even done that...

krkode

State Captain
I always thought Bangladesh's first test against India was quite a fight...they DID put up 400+ and did bowl out India for only a 20 odd run lead :P

But then they got taken out for 90 something...

Personally, I agree with those that said that Kenya deserves it better than Ban. Kenya have gotten more superb victories than Bangladesh and on a comparison basis, I think Kenya would've won.

But I still also think that it's too soon for Kenya...They would be in similar plight if they joined right now...

And didn't Bangladesh win some tri series that also had Kenya and Zimbabwe - I think that was one of the reasons they vouched for Bangladesh's new status...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Granted, the decision to give them Test Status was dodgy.

However, taking it away from them would only set them back further.

Rik - Habibul their only class player? Alok Kapali.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Granted, the decision to give them Test Status was dodgy.

However, taking it away from them would only set them back further.

Rik - Habibul their only class player? Alok Kapali.
He hasn't played as long as Bashar though. Also that would make 2 good players and 9 others barely of club standard...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
I always thought Bangladesh's first test against India was quite a fight...they DID put up 400+ and did bowl out India for only a 20 odd run lead :P

But then they got taken out for 90 something...
And have done so ever since...

Legglancer

State Regular
Rik said:
Yes I would have let all those teams play Test Cricket. They all have world class players and did when they started off. Bangladesh have one very out of form Class player and no one else. All their "broader perspective" has brought is an increase in batting averages and a lowering of bowling averages for the opposition, one win in the last 4 years (a contriversial win over Pakistan), 1 rain affected draw and defeat after defeat after defeat after defeat...it wouldn't be so bad if they put up a fight...but they simply haven't even done that...
Well instead of whinging be patient and they will learn. I am assured that that Bangladesh will not have to wait 30 years for their 1st test win unlike New Zealand.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes but in New Zealand's day there were 6 test playing nations. Now there are 10. New Zealand may have waited 26 years but they won their 45th test match. They also drew 22 and lost 22 of their first 44 tests. Bangladesh have lost 16 out of 17 I think already. They are not even competitive or a challenge.