• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think is the worst player in the World Cup?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Gee Rik you do a lot of self-boasting:D :D . I wish i could bowl to you one time .
Maybe you might :lol: anyway not boasting, just stating facts :) if you attempt to hit most short balls for 6 then you will hit a few windows along the way...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
They are no were near as good as Symonds Night is as good a catcher but he is not as atheletic or quick in the outfeild nor is his arm as good.

Brett Lee is more than just a good arm he is exellent at the dive & slide as well as stoping the ball from reaching the fence. He is also extreamly quick evidence by the fact he can run the 100m in 10.97 seconds witch he recorded at a training camp in Queensland last year.
So he's quick, but that doesn't automatically make him a great fielder - and I expect he wouldn't be in that list if he were an Indian or English.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Get stiffed Marc I am not biased I would probably not pick Lee if he were an Indian Simpily because I would not have seen much of him but had I then I would have not hesitation in selecting him.

He is quick he moves to the ball well and he saves alot of
runs that most players can't and he has a great arm.

I am just stating my opinion it may be wrong but I am judging it on what I have seen and anyone who wishes to disagree is welcome to but I would apreaciate it if people did not make judgements about my honesty.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Get stiffed Marc I am not biased I would probably not pick Lee if he were an Indian Simpily because I would not have seen much of him but had I then I would have not hesitation in selecting him.
1st rule of Terrace club is: If though is loosing an arguement though will allways resort to insult the offending party. :saint:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
<quack> come on you guys. You all know the tune.....

"They call him Nicky, Nicky,
faster than lightning...."

Back to the pavilion, that is

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
On performance so far it has to be Allan Donald, he's been smashed by W.I & NZ.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
1st rule of Terrace club is: If though is loosing an arguement though will allways resort to insult the offending party. :saint:
I am not part of your dumb Terrace club so I can say what I like.
marc just happens to take joy in picking arguments with people. He has no bloody right to question my honesty. And I find it offencive that you seem to see me the same way.

If I decide to make a statment and it just so happens somone does not agree with what I have to say they should take the argument up with me and present there views rather than just slaging me off and questioning my honesty based on no facts what so ever.

As for there ever being an argument well its was a pritty pathetic efforet by marc if indeed there was one at all.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
I am not part of your dumb Terrace club so I can say what I like.
I'm not a member.

marc just happens to take joy in picking arguments with people. He has no bloody right to question my honesty. And I find it offencive that you seem to see me the same way.
No I'm just a little tired of "We didn't loose because the opposition was better, it was the pitch/conditions/someone wished bad luck on us." Likewise for picking Brett Lee and Andy Symonds in the best fielders list, they are good fielders yes but I have seen better. Admittedly you have probably seen them more than other players round the world but the fact that you kept on saying they were the best threw away that excuse.

If I decide to make a statment and it just so happens somone does not agree with what I have to say they should take the argument up with me and present there views rather than just slaging me off and questioning my honesty based on no facts what so ever.
Actually we do base it on facts, and tons of them at that. Andy Symonds simply is just not one of the best fielders in the world, Jonty Rhodes is. Anyone who can jump up in the air, knock a ball up then catch it behind him when still falling like he did in the last world cup can rightly be called the best fielder in the world. Symonds hasn't done that. Also stop going on about honesty, when England were winning the last Test all we heard from you was "it's only because Warne and McGrath are out" or "we will still win anyway" but did you? No, so that takes away the "honesty" arguement. Your views can be biased, just like anyone else.

As for there ever being an argument well its was a pritty pathetic efforet by marc if indeed there was one at all.
First of all it is "pretty" not "pritty." Marc's arguement was actually rather good. I think if you ask other posters in this forum they would feel the same. It's not Marc's arguement that is pathetic, it is the basis for your case, which comprises of personal views at the moment, no hard facts.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
I'm not a member.

No I'm just a little tired of "We didn't loose because the opposition was better, it was the pitch/conditions/someone wished bad luck on us." Likewise for picking Brett Lee and Andy Symonds in the best fielders list, they are good fielders yes but I have seen better. Admittedly you have probably seen them more than other players round the world but the fact that you kept on saying they were the best threw away that excuse.

Actually we do base it on facts, and tons of them at that. Andy Symonds simply is just not one of the best fielders in the world, Jonty Rhodes is. Anyone who can jump up in the air, knock a ball up then catch it behind him when still falling like he did in the last world cup can rightly be called the best fielder in the world. Symonds hasn't done that. Also stop going on about honesty, when England were winning the last Test all we heard from you was "it's only because Warne and McGrath are out" or "we will still win anyway" but did you? No, so that takes away the "honesty" arguement. Your views can be biased, just like anyone else.

First of all it is "pretty" not "pritty." Marc's arguement was actually rather good. I think if you ask other posters in this forum they would feel the same. It's not Marc's arguement that is pathetic, it is the basis for your case, which comprises of personal views at the moment, no hard facts.

Look I never ever made excuses as such like you mentioned about our loss in the 5th test but alot of people did so you probably easaly got confused. ( If you remember we had an argument about how well Lee bowled so thats probably why u got the wrong impresion)

The fact is all I did was express an opinion witch may well be way way off but that does not mean I am biased and i dont want to be labeled so.

Also no need to tell me how good Rhodes is you will see I had him on top of my list.
And please tell me what marc's actualy argument was ?? all I remember him doing was saying things like "spot the Aussie bias" there is no argument there.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
No I ment you were rating Symonds on a par with Rhodes, which simply isn't true. The only player I've seen lately who even comes close to the great South African is Ponting. Rhodes was the one person who convinced me to field in the way I do, I saw him take quite a few impossible catches when I was younger and just getting into cricket.

Biased, you can't help it, it's part of the human psyche. I'm guessing you are human ;)

Marc just noticed that Lee was in there yet I certianly haven't seen him do anything out of the ordinary, and I doubt he has either.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I suppose there is a natrual biase in all of use but I just dont want people to think i am just chucking players in there for the sake of it.

Most Australians have a very high regard for Lee in the feild and I suppose its unfortunate your TV stations did not show live Ashes coverage because he is IMO one of the the best outfeilders and I know alot of people rate him very highly in that area.

maybe I am being to optimistic to say Symonds is on par with Rhodes but the thing is he has feilded more or less as good or better than Ponting for quite some time now and I always thought Ponting was in the same brakket as Rhodes so I put Symonds in there more based on a comparison between Ponting and Symonds than Symonds and Rhodes.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, we got 30 minute long highlights instead that show nothing. I saw Lee over here and other than one sliding stop at mid-on in a ODI he didn't do anything amazingly special. In fact he mis-fielded quite a lot. So I am naturally biased not to agree because I've not seen him do anything to support your claims.

Ponting...good fielder I just would still put Rhodes ahead.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think Lee's feilding has always been good but he has improved alot in the last 12 months.

He used to be a bit inconsistent in that if he got on a roll he could have a brilliant day in the feild or he could start badly and never reach particuarly good hights.
He is also probably our most enthusiastic feilder which is always pleasing to know he is trying hard.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
I think Lee's feilding has always been good but he has improved alot in the last 12 months.

He used to be a bit inconsistent in that if he got on a roll he could have a brilliant day in the feild or he could start badly and never reach particuarly good hights.
He is also probably our most enthusiastic feilder which is always pleasing to know he is trying hard.
That's good, the thing that makes Rhodes such a great fielder is not his amazing relefexes, it's his work ethic and his enthusiasm. I'm rated as a really good fielder, because I'm everywhere. It doesn't mean I don't make mistakes but I'm allways in the game, allways trying backing someone up or anticipating what will happen. That's why I don't fit well with people who just want to bat 1st, get some runs and spend as little time in the field as possible. Just one thing though...Lee has to do a lot to impress me in Tests.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rhodes is/was the best fielder, probably the best fielder ever. Ponting is the next best fielder in this generation. As for Symonds and Lee, let them maintain their high standards over a longer period before being classed with the above two(One great catch does not an all-time great fielder make...).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
anilramavarma said:
Rhodes is/was the best fielder, probably the best fielder ever. Ponting is the next best fielder in this generation. As for Symonds and Lee, let them maintain their high standards over a longer period before being classed with the above two(One great catch does not an all-time great fielder make...).
I'm probably the only member of CW who ever saw Colin Bland play, and he was regarded in the 1960's as the greatest of all time - at the time.

I was impressed too by Gower and Randall in the 70's and 80's, but they didn't come close to Bland.

Believe me, Jonty is something else entirely. Greatest of all time - there's little doubt about that. Ponting I would put ahead of Randall. As good as Bland? Perhaps in most aspects, but I don't think his pick up and throw is quite there.

Then again, I may be senile now.