• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best minnow nation?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I am not sure who I think the best minnow nation are.

I like the look of Snyman from Namibia, and some of their batsmen look as if they are good strikers of the ball..Like their neighbours, they are good fielders

Havent seen much of Canada, and they did beat Bangladesh, so well done to them.

Holland have some good players like Bastiaan Zuiderent, Lefebvre and De leede, and they have excellent fielding, but they lack depth.

Kenya are the closest to pushing for test status, Steve Tikolo, Ravindu Shah and Odoyo IMO are excellent cricketers.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I am not sure who I think the best minnow nation are.

I like the look of Snyman from Namibia, and some of their batsmen look as if they are good strikers of the ball..Like their neighbours, they are good fielders

Havent seen much of Canada, and they did beat Bangladesh, so well done to them.

Holland have some good players like Bastiaan Zuiderent, Lefebvre and De leede, and they have excellent fielding, but they lack depth.

Kenya are the closest to pushing for test status, Steve Tikolo, Ravindu Shah and Odoyo IMO are excellent cricketers.
Should be Kenya.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Yup and Kenya's my favourite amongst them too.

They will be in trouble after Tikolo retires.

51 games after the 1996 world cup is pathetic. ICC should have done better.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I'll tell what i recokn the ICC should be doing to promote these players and give them experience at a good level.

One of two things, the best one i feel is the second one:

1 - pay ex-FC and Test players who are interested in coaching in the future, to go over to some of the associate ICC member countries as coaches for 2 year stints as a sought of coaching training.

2 - have a program set up with various FC teams without the world where they become affiliated with a particular non Test nation. This state/province would recieve money from the ICC to fly 2 or 3 players over from that particular country to play club cricket, and maybe even 2nd XI cricket (or if they're good enough FC cricket) within that state.

IE, NSW could be given Holland as they're affiliated team. They would be given money to bring over 3 players of their choice from the country. They would be allocated a club in NSW to play for, and if get a game or two in the ACB Cup (or if they are good enough would play full time in the ACB Cup) and maybe even get a run for the NSW team in ING Cup games or Pura Milk Cup games if they are good enough. I reckon the opening bowler Schifereli (sp?) from Holland would be good enough to play pretty regularly in the ACB Cup and i reckon a couple of their other guys would be very competent First Grade cricketers.

There is a total of 74 non test playing nations (27 associate members and 47 affiliate members). There are probably about a similar amount of FC teams throughout the world, and it would be a great experience for a say a Fijian cricketer to be able to play club cricket in West Indies, or for a Brazilian cricketer to play in India etc,.

anyone think that is a good idea, or at least the basis of a good idea??

V Reddy

International Debutant
Kenya by far. I think they found another good new batsman in Patel. He looked very good in kenya when they played against Aus and Pak . They have a pretty good batting line up now but they don't have any good bowlers. They must find some soon.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hourn said:
I'll tell what i recokn the ICC should be doing to promote these players and give them experience at a good level.

One of two things, the best one i feel is the second one:

1 - pay ex-FC and Test players who are interested in coaching in the future, to go over to some of the associate ICC member countries as coaches for 2 year stints as a sought of coaching training.

2 - have a program set up with various FC teams without the world where they become affiliated with a particular non Test nation. This state/province would recieve money from the ICC to fly 2 or 3 players over from that particular country to play club cricket, and maybe even 2nd XI cricket (or if they're good enough FC cricket) within that state.

IE, NSW could be given Holland as they're affiliated team. They would be given money to bring over 3 players of their choice from the country. They would be allocated a club in NSW to play for, and if get a game or two in the ACB Cup (or if they are good enough would play full time in the ACB Cup) and maybe even get a run for the NSW team in ING Cup games or Pura Milk Cup games if they are good enough. I reckon the opening bowler Schifereli (sp?) from Holland would be good enough to play pretty regularly in the ACB Cup and i reckon a couple of their other guys would be very competent First Grade cricketers.

There is a total of 74 non test playing nations (27 associate members and 47 affiliate members). There are probably about a similar amount of FC teams throughout the world, and it would be a great experience for a say a Fijian cricketer to be able to play club cricket in West Indies, or for a Brazilian cricketer to play in India etc,.

anyone think that is a good idea, or at least the basis of a good idea??
some very good points there
remeber mark waugh did a stint in ireland and colin miller once played in holland, maybe a few more players could do the same.
I like the idea of getting some of the minnows players in fc cricket to play 2nd 11 cricket