• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Centuries

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Lara's 116 against WI,
Symond's 141 (?) against Pakistan and
Jayasurya's ton against NZ
must be the top contenders at this point.

Those were all matchwinning efforts. Lara's and Symond's knocks revived disastrous starts for their teams, while the collapse after Sanath's innings showed the value of his effort.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara's then Styris' then the fact that Wishart just kept on going despite the lack of bite in the Nambian attack with his 172*

I think you mean Symonds' 143*

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Yup. that one.
I missed that match. I wont miss the Aus India match though :)
That promises to be a blinder provided both teams recover from the bad starts they'll probably have.

It's gonna be a big clash. That's the most interesting match of the league stage for me.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Don't say that buddy. Never trust the Indians. Gotchya was saying that Pak vs Aus will be the most explosive and it turned out to be one sided. They may prove you right but its unlikely in their current form.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I never expected the Pak-Aus match to be a big clash...

You're right about the inconsistancy from India.

I still carry high hopes about the match. I wish Mark Waugh was playing.. He likes India.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
That promises to be a blinder provided both teams recover from the bad starts they'll probably have.
How about saying it will be an interesting match if India bats first and gets 400, or better still if the top five Aus batsmen develop food poisoning.

Jokes aside, FL, a question...if India wins the toss on a batting pitch what do you think they should do? Strange as it may sound I think they should opt for batting, and then pray for a miracle from Sachin et al.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
That was a joke?

When et al reads Ganguly, Dravid, Yuvaraj, Kaif and Sehwag, a good performance wont be a miracle.

enuff deviation from the topic..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
full_length said:
That was a joke?

When et al reads Ganguly, Dravid, Yuvaraj, Kaif and Sehwag, a good performance wont be a miracle.
Not a miracle, just quite a surprise. Ganguly scoring at more than a run a ball will be a shock too.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
A run a ball effort from Ganguly will be an above average effort, since his career strike rate is far less than 100.

But a shock it isn't for those who know he's scored 19 centuries and 50 fifties in the highest level..

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
full_length said:
I never expected the Pak-Aus match to be a big clash...
And the India/Aus match will be ? :wow:

Shoaib or Wasim running through the side wouldn't have been a miracle either I presume

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara's century has to take it. He came back from several months, with almost no match practice and severe criticism of his commitment to the game, to face the mighty South African. The crowd was backing SA and the WI got off to a very poor start. He still held his composure and score a wonderful hundred.

After Lara, it would be Symonds because his team was in trouble too and he was also under alot of criticism.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lara's century has to take it. He came back from several months, with almost no match practice and severe criticism of his commitment to the game, to face the mighty South African. The crowd was backing SA and the WI got off to a very poor start. He still held his composure and score a wonderful hundred.

After Lara, it would be Symonds because his team was in trouble too and he was also under alot of criticism.
Yeah for me it is Lara. Symonds is a close second.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Nopes. I was hoping for that to happen. Unfortunately it didn't.

I thought, though, that Australia will have counted Shoiab as the single biggest obstacle to a victory against Pakistan, and will try their best to deny him a wicket. Frankly I didnt see Pakistan troubling Australia outside of their opening bowlers.

As it turned out, the opening bowlers did do the damage, but Pakistanis just dug a hole for themselves by not picking five good bowlers or even four. Which seems even more crazy considering they are the only team outside of SA that can do that- pick five good bowlers.

A couple of Pakistani friends mentioned some days back that they agreed with the selection of Afridi, but that simply baffles me!

Unfortunately they cant drop Waqar, but I sure hope they pick Akram, Waqar, Shoiab, Saqlain and Razzak for the India match.. which I think we will probably lose!
Shoaib or Wasim running through the side wouldn't have been a miracle either I presume

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah Lara's was a great knock. I didnt get to see Symonds' effort unfortunately.

SA, for no apparant fault of theirs, had the WI tottering. It was actually Chanderpaul who got it going a bit by hitting Donald for two or three boundaries. But once Lara got going, the game looked totally different! Kallis got some respect but Klusener, Boje, Donald, everyone got hit plenty.
That flick six was simply unbelievable!

The shot of that match for me was Sarwan's sixer off Pollock when he came down the track, Pollock dug it in short, but he still managed to pull one the ball over midwicket for six.
There should probably be a thread for the best cameo the way the tournament is going. We have Klusener, Sarwan and Powell leading the pack for sure- all from one match!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Symonds knock was extremely well-paced and varied between 'busy', 'belligerant' and 'brutal'. Exciting to watch.

Laras was 'brilliant' (keeping with the alliteration). Sheer class, after the shakiest of starts. Understandable under the circumstances.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Frankly I didnt see Pakistan troubling Australia outside of their opening bowlers.
Frankly I dont see India troubling Austrailia either. I wont be surprised if Aus manage to make a record score for this WC.

As for Pak/India, if we go by history in the WC, Pak will probably succumb to India.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
full_length said:
Yup. that one.
I missed that match. I wont miss the Aus India match though :)

It's gonna be a big clash. That's the most interesting match of the league stage for me.
It is going to be a totally onesided match, with Australia TRASHING India :( .India can beat Australia but for that India needs to play at their level best, unfortunately right now they are at the rock bottom. The batsmen seems to be totally out of touch and lack in self belief, their body language says it all. If they continue to perform like they did against Holland, then they might as well lose to sides like England. Though India are slow starters and with time they will certainly improve, and i'm hopefull things will go their way after the match against Australia!

anzac

International Debutant
My picks as follows thus far:

Symonds - recalled to the squad under pressure, not an established starter & had not produced the goods previously. Came in with the team in trouble and the quality bowling attack on top. Produced a match winning knock & finished not out. Innings showed all aspects of what he can do, but most importantly he showed the required mental approach so often missing from his batting.

Styris - much of the same reasons as for Symonds. Debut ODI century to go with only 1 previous Test century, with an ODI average of only 20. Came in when NZ were 3/15 and chasing a big target, & scored at a better strike rate than Jayasuriya in the same match, if not the other contender's innings as well! While the SL bowling attack does not rate as highly as either SA or PAK, they were better suited to the pitch conditions & bowled better than the NZ attack, whereas the other matches bowlers were well matched under their conditions. Errors in the NZ selections made it difficult for him to have partners in the lower order & tail capable of staying with him. Ran out of support with too much to do & self destructed with the tail enders - meaning he would have probably scored higher & got closer if he had support. Produced a lone hand throughout the innings. The only reason I do not rate his knock number 1 is that he was out & NZ lost by 47.

Lara - great come back. Set the innings on it's way to a winning total, although Klusner gave it a good scare to get SA within 3! Lara was all class and was a big part of the upset result over the hosts, but with his credentials it was only a matter of time. Now he needs consistency to show if he is really back!

Jayasuria - had a big slice of luck b4 he got going, then rode it to produce a match winning start to the SL innings. The match could / would have been very different had he been given out, as SL batting tends to follow his results of late. I actually think that Tillekeratene's innings won the match for SL, as he was the foil for Jayasuriya to launch his attack, and the backbone for the rest of the batting to finish not out.

Wishart - possibly the highest score of the tourneyment & batted throughout to finish not out. Looses it's significance in comparison to other innings because of the relative weakness of the opposition and the lack of pressure throughout.

:)