• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds

Eclipse

International Debutant
Can it be that he starts to play to the potential he has always had.

Its was a great innings and it was done when Australia were in deep trouble at 80-4.

It was a chanceless innings and it has to rate as one of the very best I have ever seen.

Ohh and soo much for Pakistan skitteling us 310 aint bad!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I said, all the people who criticised the selection will be eating their words. If I were Andrew Symonds, I wouldnṫ hold my breath waiting for the retractions and apologies by journalists. :D

Eclipse

International Debutant
The best thing was that it was a controlled innings he played the ball on its merits and then when he hit it he really really hit it.

I have deffinatly never seen the ball hit so hard in all my life.

The sixes he hit were like sixes out of a vidio game ie. they were flat and hard and took about 2 second to go over the rope. I swere they would have been imposible to catch even if there was a feilder there they were just hit so hard.

V Reddy

International Debutant
One of the greatest innings i have ever seen. Atlast he proved me right. A month back i rated aussie allrounders in this order in this order. Symonds,Harvey,Blewett,Watson.I was criticized for taking up Symonds harvey and blewett. Atleast both Andrew and Ian proved me right in the batting.:P (atleast today ):D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah well lets see if he can do it consistently..its taken 54 ODI's for him to finally make a substantial innings & you can't really blame the critics for having a go at him.

At times during the VB series this year & last year he was downright awful so maybe now he's going to fullfill his talent.

Why should the journalists be apologising, it should be up to Symonds now to prove that he can do it consistently before the journalists say: "hey we were wrong about you, you do have the ability at this level"

Top_Cat

The best thing was that it was a controlled innings he played the ball on its merits and then when he hit it he really really hit it.

I have deffinatly never seen the ball hit so hard in all my life.

The sixes he hit were like sixes out of a vidio game ie. they were flat and hard and took about 2 second to go over the rope. I swere they would have been imposible to catch even if there was a feilder there they were just hit so hard.
I canṫ disagree with any of this. I was surprised at just how many deliveries he played along the ground and was thinking that it was fantastic batting but that he was restraining himself. Then the real Symonds came out and the sixes came. :) Even then, he was restraining himself in between the 6s. :D

One of the greatest innings i have ever seen.
As far was one-day innings, the only one I can think of to compete with it was Steve Waughś against SA in the last World Cup.

Top_Cat

Why should the journalists be apologising, it should be up to Symonds now to prove that he can do it consistently before the journalists say: "hey we were wrong about you, you do have the ability at this level"
Of course. Even so, the press has been bordering on nasty to him this year. If youḋ believed the press, youḋ believe that he was a no-hoper who couldnṫ play the game at all.

And anyway, until this point, heś been batting at number 6 or 7. Itś a tad difficult to get a big score from there. Heś not been given the chance to do really well. Any criticism of his performances has been grossly unfair when you take that into account. No-one doubts (or has ever doubted) the ability of Steve Waugh yet he averages marginally above 30 in one-day cricket. Why is that? Because up until a few years ago, the best he could hope for was to bat at number 6.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The criticism has come because he has been labelled an all-rounder by the Australian selectors. And as for the batting at 6 or 7 argument, Michael Bevan threw that theory out the window years ago batting at 6...up until recently he's been batting at 4 or 5, but for the majority he was at 6 averaging 45+.

I think the selectors need to change their views on Symonds, he's a batsman who can bowl & maybe once that happens he'll turn it around.

Top_Cat

Mate, Ive lost count of how many times Ie said just that; heś NOT an allrounder, heś a batsman and should be picked as such.

And as for the batting at 6 or 7 argument, Michael Bevan threw that theory out the window years ago batting at 6...up until recently he's been batting at 4 or 5, but for the majority he was at 6 averaging 45+.
Not at all. Heś the exception rather than the rule and anyway, heś had a heck of a lot of not-outs which have helped his average somewhat. For example, how long did it take for Bevan to hit his first one-day ton? And did he dop it at number 6? I think not..........

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
All I can say is where did that come from? Before this innings his highest score in all OD cricket was 95, it just makes we wonder if he can keep doing it. Anyway this seems to be the WC for the less known batsmen...Wishart with a HUGE 172*, Styris with a maiden ODI century with his 141 and now Symonds' 143*. Yet despite the quality of the cricket this this doesn't feel like a World Cup, it just feels like a load of people trying to force other people to do things they don't want to do, then Warne with a drugs test...this just isn't fun any more.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
I disagree, Rik.

From where I'm sitting, it's hilarious.
Well it's gone from farce to farce...and I suppose it's more entertaining when you have Sky TV :!( :!( :!(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think it's sods law that someone who's never anything of real note before, just comes along and smashes the supposedly best attack in the Cup!

V Reddy

International Debutant
You are wrong Rik.His highest score was against ur fav. side India at colombo 65 not out. Tim, during that time he used to bowl well when he used to bowl medium pace. Now a days he started bowling off spin and his bowling waned.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I think it's sods law that someone who's never anything of real note before, just comes along and smashes the supposedly best attack in the Cup!
Yeah, Ironic that. After all the attenton being given to the top order of Australia, Pakistan get rid of them and Symonds comes along with mothing notable before him and smashes the attack to pieces. It is Still the best bowling attack of the cup though. Symonds played extraordinary cricket and made it look amateur.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
You are wrong Rik.His highest score was against ur fav. side India at colombo 65 not out. Tim, during that time he used to bowl well when he used to bowl medium pace. Now a days he started bowling off spin and his bowling waned.
No I am right, his highest score in ANY one day cricket was 95. Before the match is out have a look: Symonds Profile . I said ANY and that includes domestic. 226 matches with a highest score of 95 does not make good reading.

Oh and his highest ODI score was actually 68*

V Reddy

International Debutant
Hey i remember him scoring a hundred against India when they were in AUS in a one day match. Maybe it doesn't count towards it. But i have seen him play well in quite a few county matches and he played just like today in most of those.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Hey i remember him scoring a hundred against India when they were in AUS in a one day match. Maybe it doesn't count towards it. But i have seen him play well in quite a few county matches and he played just like today in most of those.
Every game I've seen him play he's just played like a very strong slogger, I mean in a ODI against England in England 2 years ago he miscued one for a massive 6, belted another out of the ground then got bowled by Goughie's slower ball and nearly throwing himself off his feet. For Kent he gets to 50 then gets out. I haven't seen him in 4D cricket though.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The man with the biggest smile on his face would be Ricky Ponting. He fought to have Symonds come along and has been proved right.

The Pakistan attack of last night was not the best in the world. I can't belive they left out Saqlain. He has always given the Aussies trouble. Without him the attack looks less balanced.