• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big Big News!! Warne Is Out!

Eclipse

International Debutant
The Australian Cricket Board will hold a press conference at 6:00pm AEDT tonight to announce that Shane Warne is out of the World Cup.

Warne has tested positive to a diuretic and will return home to Australia immediately.

It is understood Warne took the banned substance by mistake during treatment for his dislocated shoulder.

Willow Whacker

Cricket Spectator
What a goose i f he even pretends to use the bulls**t line that he honestly didn't know - how dumb - and if I hear him say he was only doing what the team doctor prescribed...how dumb Ben Tune's incident should have put them all on notice. I though his recovery was a bit sudden. Bloody idiot!!!

:!( :!( :!( :( :wow: :yawn: :lol: :D :P I hate Warne - but you knew that. WW

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah well he would have been taking many medicines and this substance could have been one of thse or part of one of the medicenes, it happens get over it

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
or..as suggested he's taken these pills to make himself look good.
We shouldn't go accusing anyone yet but this is bad bad news.

Bomber Spirit

Cricket Spectator
How any professional sportsman could take a tablet without checking what's in it, in this day and age, is beyond me. There's really no excuse.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
This puts alot of pressure on Brad Hogg now to do the job with the ball, even though spin may not be a huge factor in this World Cup..Warne was still going to be a huge influence for Australia & at the moment his ODI career has ended on a very sour note.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It probably went something like this; a drug which will increase his metabolism and recovery is given to him by a doctor who told him not to worry about it as itś not on the banned list. Realistically, he probably wouldnṫ have known any better and whoever administered the drug should be hung, drawn and quartered professionally.

Anyway, heś in deep poopie indeed if the second test comes back positive. Itś a mandatory two-year ban regardless of the drug. Itś really not Warnieś responsibility to know whatś in the drugs being given him (how could he? Heś not a doctor) so if this ends his career, just wait for a malpractice suit against the doctor in question.

Top_Cat

How any professional sportsman could take a tablet without checking what's in it, in this day and age, is beyond me. There's really no excuse.
Oh come on, are you a doctor? Do you know WHY a diuretic would be on the banned list? Do you know HOW it masks other drugs or WHAT types of drugs it actually masks?

Last I checked, Warnie isnṫ a doctor or even medically knowledgable and even if he were, thatś what team doctors and others are hired for because Warnie isnṫ qualified to have an opinion either way. Nor would be possibly be able to keep up with what is on the banned list, new additions and why etc. To expect him to do so and concentrate on his cricket is ludicrous at best.

chris.hinton

International Captain
If he did take drugs then he should face the Consequences?

But i never heard of the drug? can anyone tell me about it

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
Oh come on, are you a doctor? Do you know WHY a diuretic would be on the banned list? Do you know HOW it masks other drugs or WHAT types of drugs it actually masks?

Last I checked, Warnie isnṫ a doctor or even medically knowledgable and even if he were, thatś what team doctors and others are hired for because Warnie isnṫ qualified to have an opinion either way. Nor would be possibly be able to keep up with what is on the banned list, new additions and why etc. To expect him to do so and concentrate on his cricket is ludicrous at best.
IF I were a professional cricketer I would mighty darn keep on with something that could leave my career in jeopardy. There IS no excuse for using a substance that could end up getting you excluded for a tournament. Warne would have been well advised to check up everything before using something. He may not ba doctor but he should have the sense to check up ?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
This is beginning to leave bad tastes. I mean the lead up to the world cup, the contract rows, political tensions in Zimbabwe. And now this. It just isn;t very fascinating to have these thoughts in the back of your mind while watching a good big tournament.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
If he did take drugs then he should face the Consequences?

But i never heard of the drug? can anyone tell me about it
Diuretics have two 'main' purposes

a) to encourage the body to shed water quickly
b) to mask the use of other drugs.

Following Warne's shoulder injury, a diuretic could have been (arguably) useful in reducing inflammation caused by fluid retention, although I would suppose that this would be rather unconventional treatment (as opposed to using a proscribed anti-inflammatory drug)

The last time that diuretics were big news, I believe, was during the last Olympics when the Bulgarian weightlifters fell foul of the rules.

Top_Cat

IF I were a professional cricketer I would mighty darn keep on with something that could leave my career in jeopardy. There IS no excuse for using a substance that could end up getting you excluded for a tournament. Warne would have been well advised to check up everything before using something. He may not ba doctor but he should have the sense to check up ?
We donṫ know the full story yet but there are a few things which are clear; the positive test happened whilst Warnie was out of action in the VB Series for one thing. This didnṫ just happen yesterday.

Also, the list of drugs for pain, swelling, inflammation etc. which have a compound in them which could be termed a diuretic would be in the thousands. The stuff for which Warnie took to help his shoulder out could have been something which wasnṫ on the list or wasnṫ a type of diuretic covered in lists, yet because they ARE a diuretic, suddenly itś a problem? Ive seen lists like those used by athletes and the class of compounds is varied and confusing. It wouldnṫ surprise if in Warnieś haste to get fit for the World Cup (maybe due to pressure from the ACB) that his trainer didnṫ research the issue fully.

Itś really not as simple as just keeping up with things either. As I said, just keeping up with what could be a banned substance is a full-time job in itself. And when different types of diuretics are banned and others not, how would you know? Warnie himself couldnṫ keep up with it because of the workload involved and the knowledge required. For all we know, he may have raised concerns but was reassured by his trainer that the drug was okay and in the absence of any other advice, would have taken the trainer or doctor on his or her word.

Either way, you simplay cannot be as absoluteist as saying that thereś no excuse, he should have known etc. because the processes in place mean that the responsibility for that sort of thing rests with people other than the athlete themselves. As Ive said, thatś why theyŕe hired. So if something goes wrong, the fault lies with them.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The medics to the Bulgarian weightlifting team claimed that they had contacted manufacturers regarding the actual contents of medicines before giving them to their athletes.

In many countries, if a substance is only present in levels less than 0.01% w/v, it does not have to appear in the ingredients.

A couple of interesting links :

BBC

IOL

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Itœ really not as simple as just keeping up with things either. As I said, just keeping up with what could be a banned substance is a full-time job in itself. And when different types of diuretics are banned and others not, how would you know? Warnie himself couldn keep up with it because of the workload involved and the knowledge required. For all we know, he may have raised concerns but was reassured by his trainer that the drug was okay and in the absence of any other advice, would have taken the trainer or doctor on his or her word.
True that all information isn't available, but still I cannot agree with your theory that keeping up with the banned substances is difficult. Either the anti-doping commite (?) haven't laid down clear lines on what is prohibited and what is not, or Warne just wasn't too worried about it. Eitehr way it is not something to be taken lightly. Warne has just gone back home, possibly his last world cup, people were looking forward to seeing him play (including me) and yet he was careless enough to let a drug water everything. Thats just very very careless.

And one more thing, it was good enough evidence to fly him back. I dont think it was an easy decision for the management either.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
An informant has just assured me that the following conversation took place just a few minutes ago on the flight back home....

<stewardess> Mr Warne, would you like a drink with your meal?

<shane> Yes please. What have you got?

<stewardess> Pils

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
If the tests were conducted during the VB series, why weren't the results revealed earlier? If Warne was indeed the victim of inadequate research by the doctor, it's very sad indeed especially as this WC was supposed to be his swansong.