• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan/Australia possibly the most explosive clash of the tournament

Eclipse

International Debutant
OMG he hits the ball hard!!

He was so sensible to he did not try to hit sixes like he usualy does and when he did hit his shots man the hit the harder than I have ever seen. And that includeds Klusener in the 1999 WC.

Amazing thing was it was a chancless innings he never really played a false shot.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Just one of those occasions when Australia looked down and then come up with the unique fighting spirit they are known for. At 82/4 I would have backed Pakistan to bowl out Australia for 210 at most, yet Symonds comes out and plays one of the better innings in one day cricket, and that too starting from the middle of a team innings. It was chanceless aggression and unique innings, priceless because of the time at which it came. Very very welldone to him.

As for Waqar's beamers, I am sure it was unintentional. For all the years I have watched cricket, I dont see Waqar hurling the ball bounceless at a batsmen just to appease his own anger. Shepherd did the right thing, and Symonds 'concern' was, well just acceptable I would say.

Pakistan will struggle infact they are, to reach this target though they still might make a match of it by atleast challenging the target in some manner, especially with Warne missing from the ranks.

About Warne, well this is a shocker no doubt, what do you Aussies have to say about this one ? did he ? or did he not ?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Gotchya - There's a thread all about Warney...

Pakistan 63/3 off 16... 7.5+ an over needed, it'll take some doing.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shepherd did the right thing, and Symonds 'concern' was, well just acceptable I would say.
Mate, letś see you face a beamer at 130km/h and see what sort of mood youŕe in. Iḋ say youḋ be a little more than ćoncerned In fact Iḋ venture to say that youḋ react in much more animated manner than Symonds did. I know I would have and if it were me and it not an internationally televised match, Waqar would have gotten from me more than a few strong words.

One is forgiveable but two in the same over is grounds for being very uptight with the bowler. Possibly physically so.

If they werent deliberate (highly likely, considering that Waqar isnṫ one to be unsportsman-like), then they were negligent in the extreme and Waqar was punished on that basis.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Gotchya - There's a thread all about Warney...

Pakistan 63/3 off 16... 7.5+ an over needed, it'll take some doing.
Yeah noticed

The only hope now is to see of the early bursts and then cahs in on the allrounders. To provide some sort of chance.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
Mate, letś see you face a beamer at 130km/h and see what sort of mood youŕe in. Iḋ say youḋ be a little more than ćoncerned In fact Iḋ venture to say that youḋ react in much more animated manner than Symonds did. I know I would have and if it were me and it not an internationally televised match, Waqar would have gotten from me more than a few strong words.

One is forgiveable but two in the same over is grounds for being very uptight with the bowler. Possibly physically so.

If they werent deliberate (highly likely, considering that Waqar isnṫ one to be unsportsman-like), then they were negligent in the extreme and Waqar was punished on that basis.
Did I say anything that opposes these sentiments ? I never said that symonds reaction was over the hill. It WAS acceptable. As for MY reaction, I would not have overdone it mate, not by one cent. Just would have requested the umpire to get him out of my face. Which is probably what Symonds did in the end.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's hope Australia think Symonds can bowl that well too and 50 off 30 overs and Pakistan win! :lol:

As for the beamer issue, I wouldn't have a problem, I'd just have a go at it and see if I could wack it for 6, I've had a few bowled at me and they are like a free hit.

Top_Cat

Did I say anything that opposes these sentiments ? I never said that symonds reaction was over the hill. It WAS acceptable.
You said just acceptable. Maybe this is a function of how we take things but I took it too mean that you thought he was close to over-stepping the mark. My mistake. :)

As for the beamer issue, I wouldn't have a problem, I'd just have a go at it and see if I could wack it for 6, I've had a few bowled at me and they are like a free hit.
At 130km/h+, they are most certainly NOT free hits; theyŕe actually quite dangerous. Ie been the victim of one bowled at me from someone whoḋ been clocked at 144km/h and I didnt even pick it up until it was right on top of me. Him and I had words after the game, let me tell you.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
You said just acceptable. Maybe this is a function of how we take things but I took it too mean that you thought he was close to over-stepping the mark. My mistake. :)
Precisely. A function of origin perhaps. And btw TC you buy a nwe keyboard ? you seem to be typing characters mine doesn't have

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:

At 130km/h+, they are most certainly NOT free hits; theyŕe actually quite dangerous. Ie been the victim of one bowled at me from someone whoḋ been clocked at 144km/h and I didnt even pick it up until it was right on top of me. Him and I had words after the game, let me tell you.
Same speed as a normally pitched ball. And I've never had words with the opposition, I've just got on with the game. Yeah if they sledge you then give some back, but if it's a beamer then why bother? It's usually a mistake. That's why we wear helmets...

Top_Cat

Precisely. A function of origin perhaps. And btw TC you buy a nwe keyboard ? you seem to be typing characters mine doesn't have
Nah, Mozilla in Red Hat Linux is just having trouble with my keyboard and I canṫ be bothered fixing it.

Same speed as a normally pitched ball. And I've never had words with the opposition, I've just got on with the game. Yeah if they sledge you then give some back, but if it's a beamer then why bother? It's usually a mistake. That's why we wear helmets...
Maybe so but I guess I just less forgiving. If itś an accident, Im going to be very annoyed at the negligence of the situation. If itś deliberate, God help you when I get my hands on the ball and youre at the other end. :D

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Well now this match is going the way of the 1999 final..... I mean the loss margin would probably be quite huge with Pak already 6 down for 125.

Awesome batting from Symonds, as good as any I have ever seen....... now the Pakistani newspaper headlines should be "Symonds who ?"

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Maybe so but I guess I just less forgiving. If itś an accident, Im going to be very annoyed at the negligence of the situation. If itś deliberate, God help you when I get my hands on the ball and youre at the other end. :D
Luckly I bowl SLA and when I bowl a full toss it's usually heaved straight to the boundary rider. Great tactic :lol:

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Australia rap it up and win by 82 runs. Good confident win by the champions. The Pakistani's are left again with a tautering batting lineup which just doesn't seem to deliver.

I think Waqar lost a huge bowling option when he opted to leave Saqlain out today, Afridi and younis Khan were not good enough to halt the aggressive advance of Symond. I feel that with Hogg, Maher an Harvey in the batting line up, Saqlain would have troubled them a lot. But again the way Symods played today was just out of this world.

Australia can now advance with confidence against the other teams. Whereas Pakistan will be looking forward to their first win ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember when Waqar left out Saqlain in the 1st Test against England 2 years ago, Pakistan lost by a mile, brought him back on an unhelpful surfice and he took 4-80 odd and Pakistan won. The message is there, don't leave him out.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I love watching Afridi bat when he gets set, but I am surprised he is still in the pakistani set up, he never seems to do much (with the bat anyway)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
First of all bowling beamers is just abut the most disrespectful and dangerous thing a fast bowler can do. Actually no, its the second most disrespectful thing, the most disrespectful...not saying sorry after bowling a beamer. Waqar was dealt in exactly the right way, although it could have killed the batsman or atleast done severe harm, and maybe a suspension shouldnt be out of the question too.

A few observations otherwise (now that I finally get to see a few matches)...

-I like afridi's inclusion in the side, but he was misused in both batting and bowling. Especially bowling. I was convinced that afridi will get Symonds out when I saw symonds cutting the ball regularly on afridi. With afridi' s deliveries drifting in at fast speed, and with that fast change of pace, I thought it was a matter of time before symonds is cramped for room abd bowled. Didnt happen. The trend was simple...half volleys, which were driven in the cover/extra cover/mid off region, or short deliveries cut thru the point region (infront of point or backward of point, Symonds had scored 74 runs when he was little over 100). Just horrible. Whaever happend to the change of pace, and bowling at good length. Someone (wasim/waqar/rashid) should have pointed that out.

- in batting I really am annoyed when afridi tries to take it easy and be cautious. then its just a matter of time before he gets out. but unfortunately the whole nation keps telling him that he shold be more careful in his approach. Its simple he cannot do it, the chances of getting out early if he does this are 100%. what he should be doing is, maybe after facing one ball, he should hold the bat hard, look at the ball carefully, and whack it as hard as possible. even on mcgrath he would have a decent chance of clearing the infield, or have the ball go over the slips and keeper. if he can hit a couple of sixes or fours, that will set the tone, and have both bowlers check their line and especially length, i.e. will start bowling short. and that is the only way afridi can succeede. If they expect him to play cautiously then may as well not send him, atleast not opening anyways, becasue there is no way he can survive the first ten overs in SA.

-afridi's bowling was better thought out partly, because pakistan were thinking about speeding up their bowling rate by that time, and it didnt matter what he bowled as long as he finished his overs quickly. That brings me to another point...I love rashid ltif, he is clearly better in keeping and batting then moin, miles ahead in keeping especially, but one intangibel with moin was, he got everyone moving fast between overs, and i am just speculating but i think he was the guy responsible to look over the over rate. rashid sucks in this aspect. and its quite important.

-where the hell is ian chappell? i mean its the firggin world cup and the best commentator in the world is missing. well imran is missing too, so there is another awesome commentator missing too. and aamir sohail is in the commentary box, please get this man out of there. I havent heard healy much before, but he is a pleasant surprise in the commentary box.

-one silly observation, pakistan almost always do well in big tournaments (not only cricket but other sports too) when they struggle in the beginning (WC92, hockey Olympics 84, the two biggest tourneys pak have won in the last twenty years), and suck if they peak early (WC87), so from that aspect atleast they are well on their way to winning the cup ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard Ian Chappell was dumped from the commentary because of his comments about Malcolm Speed, so thats why he isn't there.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard Imran when Pakistan toured England 2 years ago and he sounded asleep most of the time. So saying he's a great commentator's a bit...over the top!

Aggers for me any day ;)