• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Zimbabwe easily rack up 302-2 against Nambia with Craig Wishart carrying his bat through the innings and scoring a Zimbabwe record 172 off 149 balls with 18 4's and 2 6's, highest ever score by a Zimbabwe batsman in ODIs! But it is put into the background by Andy Flower and Henry Olonga's STATEMENT. Andy Flower has allways been a contriversial figure in Zimbabwe cricket and has critisised the selectors, the ZCU and Mugabe before, but this statement might mean that the World Cup is the last time he plays for Zimbabwe. Now Zimbabwe is not a strong enough team to do without one of the best batsmen in the World and it would be a loss to Cricket if he stopped playing for Zimbabwe, as I for one would not like to see him while his days away on the English county circuit. I hope he stays, but it's unlikely.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Great stuff there by Flower and Olonga that has to take some guts to say.

And well played by Wishart and Grant Flower.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Craig Wishart almost scored 200 & if Namibia continue to bowl like they have today then Gilchrist, Tendulkar & co will be seriously entertaining the thought of getting there.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
it was 2/340 actually rik
Yeah but when I wrote it the scoreboard was messed up and said 302/2! When I looked back it had changed to 340/2!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Well Craig Wishart almost scored 200 & if Namibia continue to bowl like they have today then Gilchrist, Tendulkar & co will be seriously entertaining the thought of getting there.
I don't think it was just the bowling, from what I heard Snyman (who's in my Virtual Cricket team!) bowled pretty well. Wishart has some shots and although he is very inconsistant, when he gets going he is a good player, today was just his day. He was the only player to get in and go on other than Grant Flower who didn't really have enough time to build a big innings.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Namibia have made a very good start

37/1 after 5 overs, thats actually not too bad

In 72 ODI's Wishart only averages 21 with the bat so realistically if Tendulkar or Gilchrist come across Namibia on a good surface, then I think we'll see some serious damage.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Well Namibia have made a very good start

37/1 after 5 overs, thats actually not too bad

In 72 ODI's Wishart only averages 21 with the bat so realistically if Tendulkar or Gilchrist come across Namibia on a good surface, then I think we'll see some serious damage.
He may only average 21 but the guy has the ability to play these sorts of innings! He usuallys scores at more than a run a ball in FC Cricket. Seriously this was almost a perfect innings so to say iy will be automatically bettered is quite an unfair thing to say. Remember, all you need to get out is one false shot, and Wishart didn't get out. Also Tendulkar won't probably get in till 30 overs have gone and Gilly is not as consistant in ODIs as he is in Tests, it's either a lot or nothing.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well my bet is on alot!

Ok 200 is a long shot but dont be to supprised if it does happen some time soon.

If Gilly is out quickly then Ponting still has a chance and Hayden for sure.

Tendulkar would be a good bet but with him batting at 4 these days its probably asking to much.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wishart isnt as good as tendulkar and gilly and co. but to say because he got 172 the others will score more isnt right.
its like saying if matt shirvington ran the 100 metres in 9.7 seconds , maurice green would do it in 9.5 seconds.
you can only do what is humanly possible.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Well my bet is on alot!

Ok 200 is a long shot but dont be to supprised if it does happen some time soon.

If Gilly is out quickly then Ponting still has a chance and Hayden for sure.

Tendulkar would be a good bet but with him batting at 4 these days its probably asking to much.
Yeah but my point is that Wishart did nothing wrong, he's a naturally attacking player and he didn't stop attacking. Just because he has a poor average doesn't mean someone is automatically going to beat his score! He played a load of shots and didn't really give much of a chance so it doesn't matter if his average is 24 (which it is now) or 54! It will have to be some innings to beat his effort.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Note that this is ZImbabwean First class Cricket, hardly the best standard ever.
Note: It's FC Cricket and it's played on more bowler friendly pitches than India...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Great Stuff by Andy and Henry. As a black also has said it , it lends more credibility to the statement. Well done to Andy and Henry for the guts they have shown.

Langeveldt

Soutie
the standard of Zim 1st class cricket will get better over time.

What a brilliant statement from Flower and Olonga, takes a lot of guts, and they know perfectly well that this could put their internatational careers in jeapordy, but they have put their country before their own personal positions.

I hope the players, the Crowd and Mugabe take note.

PY

International Coach
How brave were those two men to go out in Harare where the ground is in the shadow of Mugabe's presidential residence and make a statement that might cost them both their international careers and possible further repercussions......and the ICC must have their heads truly stuck up their arses to consider a disrepute charge against both of them!A moving gesture which shows the strength of feeling amongst the players

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's going to be interisting to see if the ICC keep saying that Zimbabwe is still safe to play in. Obviously Andy Flower and Henry Olonga don't think Mugabe deserves the right to host the World Cup. I really hope Andy Flower plays for Zimbabwe still, it would be such a waste and Mugabe wouldn't just be destroying Zimbabwe, but also their Cricket Team if he bans them.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The stand which Flower and Olonga have made is to be applauded. For all we know, it may be more than their careers which they have put on the line.

I now feel very strongly that England should fulfil the fixture - it would not be seen as legitimising the Mugabe regime but lending support to two fellow professionals.

Rich2001

International Captain
Well as a result of Olonga's/Flower's actions the following statement was released by Olonga's club...

However note that this club was created and started by a certian Andy Flower, who paided it's way out of his own pocket for nearly 2 years, so if I was them I wouldn't annoy Flower to much or they won't have a club soon......

"It is disgraceful what Henry Olonga and Andy Flower have done," said Givemore Makoni.

"Takingpolitics onto the playing field is something that the ICC and other sportingbodies, including the Zimbabwe Cricket Union, have been avoiding.

"What is most disheartening is that Olonga has been a hero and role model tothe black cricketing community."

Also I have heard that reports that some members of the Zimbabwe squad wanted the six games due to be staged in their country switched to South Africa as a protest against the Mugabe regime's policies.