Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbabwe

Rik

Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe easily rack up 302-2 against Nambia with Craig Wishart carrying his bat through the innings and scoring a Zimbabwe record 172 off 149 balls with 18 4's and 2 6's, highest ever score by a Zimbabwe batsman in ODIs! But it is put into the background by Andy Flower and Henry Olonga's STATEMENT. Andy Flower has allways been a contriversial figure in Zimbabwe cricket and has critisised the selectors, the ZCU and Mugabe before, but this statement might mean that the World Cup is the last time he plays for Zimbabwe. Now Zimbabwe is not a strong enough team to do without one of the best batsmen in the World and it would be a loss to Cricket if he stopped playing for Zimbabwe, as I for one would not like to see him while his days away on the English county circuit. I hope he stays, but it's unlikely.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    it was 2/340 actually rik

International Debutant
    Great stuff there by Flower and Olonga that has to take some guts to say.

And well played by Wishart and Grant Flower.

Cricket Spectator
    Congratulations to Andy Flower & Henry Olonga - that took a lot of guts to make that statement.
    People are divided into three categories - those who can count and those who can't.

Tim
    Well Craig Wishart almost scored 200 & if Namibia continue to bowl like they have today then Gilchrist, Tendulkar & co will be seriously entertaining the thought of getting there.

Rik
    Originally posted by broncoman
    it was 2/340 actually rik
    Yeah but when I wrote it the scoreboard was messed up and said 302/2! When I looked back it had changed to 340/2!

Rik
    Originally posted by Tim
    Well Craig Wishart almost scored 200 & if Namibia continue to bowl like they have today then Gilchrist, Tendulkar & co will be seriously entertaining the thought of getting there.
    I don't think it was just the bowling, from what I heard Snyman (who's in my Virtual Cricket team!) bowled pretty well. Wishart has some shots and although he is very inconsistant, when he gets going he is a good player, today was just his day. He was the only player to get in and go on other than Grant Flower who didn't really have enough time to build a big innings.

Tim
    Well Namibia have made a very good start

37/1 after 5 overs, thats actually not too bad

In 72 ODI's Wishart only averages 21 with the bat so realistically if Tendulkar or Gilchrist come across Namibia on a good surface, then I think we'll see some serious damage.

Rik
    Originally posted by Tim
    Well Namibia have made a very good start

37/1 after 5 overs, thats actually not too bad

In 72 ODI's Wishart only averages 21 with the bat so realistically if Tendulkar or Gilchrist come across Namibia on a good surface, then I think we'll see some serious damage.
    He may only average 21 but the guy has the ability to play these sorts of innings! He usuallys scores at more than a run a ball in FC Cricket. Seriously this was almost a perfect innings so to say iy will be automatically bettered is quite an unfair thing to say. Remember, all you need to get out is one false shot, and Wishart didn't get out. Also Tendulkar won't probably get in till 30 overs have gone and Gilly is not as consistant in ODIs as he is in Tests, it's either a lot or nothing.

International Debutant
    Well my bet is on alot!

Ok 200 is a long shot but dont be to supprised if it does happen some time soon.

If Gilly is out quickly then Ponting still has a chance and Hayden for sure.

Tendulkar would be a good bet but with him batting at 4 these days its probably asking to much.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    wishart isnt as good as tendulkar and gilly and co. but to say because he got 172 the others will score more isnt right.
    its like saying if matt shirvington ran the 100 metres in 9.7 seconds , maurice green would do it in 9.5 seconds.
    you can only do what is humanly possible.

Rik
    Originally posted by Eclipse
    Well my bet is on alot!

Ok 200 is a long shot but dont be to supprised if it does happen some time soon.

If Gilly is out quickly then Ponting still has a chance and Hayden for sure.

Tendulkar would be a good bet but with him batting at 4 these days its probably asking to much.
    Yeah but my point is that Wishart did nothing wrong, he's a naturally attacking player and he didn't stop attacking. Just because he has a poor average doesn't mean someone is automatically going to beat his score! He played a load of shots and didn't really give much of a chance so it doesn't matter if his average is 24 (which it is now) or 54! It will have to be some innings to beat his effort.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rik
    He usuallys scores at more than a run a ball in FC Cricket.
    Note that this is ZImbabwean First class Cricket, hardly the best standard ever.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Rik
    Originally posted by marc71178
    Note that this is ZImbabwean First class Cricket, hardly the best standard ever.
    Note: It's FC Cricket and it's played on more bowler friendly pitches than India...

Great Stuff by Andy and Henry. As a black also has said it , it lends more credibility to the statement. Well done to Andy and Henry for the guts they have shown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information