• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
Well as a result of Olonga's/Flower's actions the following statement was released by Olonga's club...

However note that this club was created and started by a certian Andy Flower, who paided it's way out of his own pocket for nearly 2 years, so if I was them I wouldn't annoy Flower to much or they won't have a club soon......

"It is disgraceful what Henry Olonga and Andy Flower have done," said Givemore Makoni.

"Takingpolitics onto the playing field is something that the ICC and other sportingbodies, including the Zimbabwe Cricket Union, have been avoiding.

"What is most disheartening is that Olonga has been a hero and role model tothe black cricketing community."

Also I have heard that reports that some members of the Zimbabwe squad wanted the six games due to be staged in their country switched to South Africa as a protest against the Mugabe regime's policies.
The problem is that if you say anything out of line you will be thrown in jail. What else could he have said? Or if he actually ment it then it just shows what a mess Zimbabwe is.

Rich2001

International Captain
Going back to the game.

I worked through both games today, but watching the highlights I didn't relize just how close Namibia came to getting some points out of game... Looking at the scorecard it looks like they were being destoryed, but to count a game when it rains at least 25 of Namibia's overs had to be bowled and after 25.1 the match was stopped and Zim were able to win on the D/L method.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The reports I saw had the Zimbabwean's running between balls from the 19th Over to beat the rain, and it was raining from 23 onwards.

Had it rained, the main benficeries would've been England IMO.

Rich2001

International Captain
Indeed Marc

In the last few overs Zim bowled 9 overs in 25 mins and at one stage it was 7 overs in 15...

Now nobody can't complain about that Overs Per Hour

PY

International Coach
Just heard on the radio that Olonga has had his membership stripped by his club for his statement. Find this extremely hard to believe. :!( Fairly gutless action by the club and would be nice to see if Andy Flower has anything to say about it as he finances the club

Langeveldt

Soutie
yeh well that was to be expected. I suspect some Zanu war vets got in touch with the club and told them to get rid of Olonga...

I wonder what conditions the players live under? It must be surreal living there at the moment as sports stars...