Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Devil Duckys World Cup Essentials

Pinball Champion!
    hmm, well people fail to see his bowling and fielding element...

Ill add Shahid Afridi to people I think get too much slating from the fans for what they do...

My current list

Ajit Agarkar
    Shahid Afridi
    Mornantau Hayward
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

add hogg to that as well. despite all his gr8 performances english fans keep putting him down but continuosly talk about their gr8 players who made a duck in the last game!:!( :!( :!( :!(
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Rik
    Originally posted by Cloete
    add hogg to that as well. despite all his gr8 performances english fans keep putting him down but continuosly talk about their gr8 players who made a duck in the last game!:!( :!( :!( :!(
    So who exactly is one of our great players who made a duck in the last game?

Guess what...no English player got a duck in the last game
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

lol. i meant that as a generalisation. lol no not really. let's just say STOP PUTTING HOGG DOWN.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    <quack>

24 February, Zimbabwe v Australia, Bulowayo

To be known throughout history as "The Brad Hogg Match" - dedicated to Cloete, Brisbane

Douglas Marillier (Zimbabwe)

A first-baller for Doug, eager to make his mark having been recalled in place of Mark Vermeulen, dismissed by the very good indeed nice Mr Brad Hogg whom everyone has nothing but the utmost respect for. A nice, flighted delivery and Doug Marillier, playing more like Doug Mountjoy, cue-ends the ball straight to Ricky Ponting at midwicket. Worth a brown, no, a red followed by a yellow and another red. Makes four either way.
    DD rating - 4 lilypads

Breadcrumb moment - The Flowers (Zimbabwe) - that runout

We turn up the volume again on the DevilDucky stump-mic(pat pending) to find out what really happened.

<Grant> (tap-tap prod-prod) Right, Andy. We've seen off Brett Lee. What are we going to do now?
    <Andy> (scratch-scratch) Not sure, bro. I mean, they might actually bring someone good on next.
    <Grant> Shame. That might mean we're going to have to work for the runs.
    <Andy> Yeah. Brett's a bit of a pussy really, nowadays. I think he's lost a yard of pace.
    <Grant> Field's changing. They're going on the attack - looks like it's one of the strike bowlers again.
    <Both> Oh no..... It's Brad.
    <Andy> Watch for his wrong-un watch for his wrong-un (tap-tap) watch for his wrong-un. Ah, leg side. easy one
    (turns ball to fine leg)
    <Grant> Come one
    (both batsmen make their ground easily, then turn to consider the second. Andy is heading towards the danger end)
    <Andy> Yesssssssss!
    <Grant> Pardon? I've had this problem with my hearing for the last couple of days. I think my ears need syringing.
    <Andy> Run, you prune. Come on. Bevan's picking it up.
    <Grant> Devon's sticking a pup? Oh, run!!! OK. No problem, bro, I'm going to the non-danger end
    (Andy makes his ground at the wicket keepers end just as the ball thuds into Gillys gloves)
    <Andy> Phew - made it.
    (Churchy hurls the stumps down at the bowlers end)
    <Aussies> HOWZAAAAATTTTTT?
    <Grant> Pardon?
    <Umpire> Out
    <Grant> Sprout?

Breadcrumb moment - Arnoldus Mauritius Blignaut (Zimbabwe)

Over 42 Andy decides that Jason Gillespie is the man to attack. Four fours off the over. He's only warming up.
    Over 43 Brad Hogg with the ball in his hand. Surely Blignaut has met his match here. Taibu gets a single. Hogg is really difficult to pick today. Three superb balls, Andy Blignaut shuts his eyes and swings wildly across the line. On each occasion, the ball turns viciously, right to where the middle of the Zimbabwean's smearing blade is. A lucky six, a lucky four, a lucky six. Fifty in 24 balls. Brad did him in the flight on each occasion. A moral victory for the Australian.
    Over 45 sees the return of Brett Lee and we turn up the DevilDucky stump-mic(pat pending)
    <Brett> How do you reckon I ought to bowl to this guy, Brad?
    <Brad> Heat, Brett. See if you can get one above medium pace.
    <Brett> But but but
    <Brad> I know what I'm talking about. I've already softened him up for you.
    (ball three of the over, the slow-medium of Brett Lee has the desired effect. A full-toss is carted straight back to the bowler who takes a fine return catch without knowing it.)
    <Brett> Thanks, Brad.
    Last edited by luckyeddie; 25-02-2003 at 06:04 AM.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

<quack>

24 February, Kenya v Sri Lanka, Nairobi

Ravindu Shah (Kenya)

A single on the board, the Kenyan opener faces his first ball from Chaminda Vaas, one of the players of the tournament so far. The Kenyans have looked a little brittle throughout this tournament, so obviously a steady start was needed. The big inswinger (come on Chaminda, you're getting very predictable), the all-too familiar rap on the pad, the dreaded finger.
    DD rating - 3 lilypads (ho hum)

Breadcrumb moment - Kennedy Otieno Obuya (Kenya)

The compact opener surveys the scene, determined to go down fighting. Eyeing up the leg side at the start of the seventh over, he proceeds to dump Chaminda Vaas into the crowd. Four overs later, same combination, same result. Just a different grandstand to hit the ball into. The Kenyans have been watching the Canadians. Twentieth over, Otieno nudges Murali for a single. His fifty has taken a creditable 65 balls against one of the more potent attacks in the World Cup. When Murali eventually pouches a catch at square leg to dismiss him for 60, the Kenyans have made 112-4. They go on to make 210-9. Surely the Sri Lankans would have little trouble with such a modest total against a fairly toothless attack?

Breadcrumb moment - Collins Obuya (Kenya)

There's not much pace in the wicket. The Kenyan spinners are bowling line and length, forcing the Sri Lankans to put the pace on the ball themselves. Obuyas best figures in ODIs are a modest 2-46 against Canada, so the 21-year-old leggie is hardly going to offer much of a problem to the former world champions, is he? Well, we reckon without the most powerful weapon in cricket - the self-destruct button. The Sri Lankan thumbs have been super-glued to it.
    For instance : Obuya to Tillakaratne. Good length ball, heaved to deep midwicket where Tony Suji takes a good catch on the boundary. Careful - there's no pace in the wicket. Obuya 1-4
    And then there's : Obuya to Jayawardene. Full toss, the batsman plays about a week too early and only succeeds in prodding the ball back to the bowler off the leading edge. You know, there's not much pace in the wicket. Obuya 2-12
    Followed shortly by : Obuya to Sangakkara. Good length ball, another inconspicuous smear to leg. This time, wicket keeper Otieno charges forward, dives and takes a great catch. These things happen when there's not much pace in the wicket. Obuya 3-17
    Later still : Obuya to Aravinda de Silva. Short, turning back into the batsman. Far too close to cut, so he cuts anyway. A feather and Otieno takes the catch. Such a shame that there's not much pace in the wicket. Obuya 4-18
    And finally : Obuya to Chaminda Vaas. Tossed up, held back, the batsman, trapped like a rabbit in the headlights, goes through with his premeditated drive, but he doesn't realise that there's not much pace in the wicket - nobody told him. Obuya 5-23 (finishes 5-24)

<quack>

25 February, Pakistan v Netherlands, Paarl

Inzamam ul-Haq (Pakistan)

Inzy watched most of his first over at the wicket from the non-strikers end. Facing the last ball, he is rapped on the pad - not out, probably a bit of bat involved. The next over, bowled by Tim de Leede, Abdul Razzaq makes a huge mistake - takes a single, allowing our man back on strike again to face his second ball. This time, there is no mistake - Inzamam makes sure the bat is nowhere near his pad. The decision is predictable. A better knock than his innings against England - just.
    DD rating - 6 lilypads

Nick Statham (Netherlands)

Nicks biggest asset is supposed to be his 'stickability'. Well, today was no exception. He stuck around for 8 minutes and nine balls, then stuck his bat in the way af a regulation length ball from Wasim - only to discover that he'd stuck it right back on his stumps. Well, Nick, you've stuck your way right into the record books by becoming Wasim Akrams 500th ODI victim.
    DD rating - 8.5 lilypads (0 for the duck, 8.5 for the historical significance)

Jacob-Jan Esmeijer (Netherlands)

My mum always used to say 'If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well'. JJ Esmeijer has worked hard on his batting - and it shows. Today, he played every bit as well as Inzy. Same number of balls faced, same method of dismissal, only he contrived to get out to the very occasional slow left arm of Saeed Anwar which makes it a far better duck. My mum would have been proud (actually, she might have done as well).
    DD rating - 7 lilypads

Breadcrumb moment - Extras (Netherlands)

The ever-reliable 'sundries' today comfortably top-scored for the Dutch with a well-constructed 40. Not bad, to say that the innings only lasted for 39.3 overs. Star man - certain to retain his place for the rest of the tournament.

Breadcrumb moment - Wasim Akram (Pakistan)

No mickey-taking here. The world - and Cricket Web - salute Wasim Akram for becoming the first bowler ever to take 500 wickets in one-day internationals. Nick Statham is the batsman immortalised in the record books - bet he didn't see that coming before the World Cup. Well done, Wasim. On to 600.

Originally posted by luckyeddie
    <quack>
    And then there's : Obuya to Jayawardene. Full toss, the batsman plays about a week too early and only succeeds in prodding the ball back to the bowler off the leading edge. You know, there's not much pace in the wicket. Obuya 2-12
    Obviously not much pace in the atmosphere either?
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Originally posted by Bazza
    Obviously not much pace in the atmosphere either?
    <quack> touche, Barry, touche

Sorry to be penickety, but it's Barrie. 8D

never could spell in Bath.

<quack>

26 February, New Zealand v Bangladesh, Kimberley

Habibul Bashar (Bangladesh)

You cannot keep a good man down. On the other hand......Facing his first ball of the innings, the powerful middle order batsman sees the irrepressible Jacob Oram snorting and pawing the ground. There is a rumble of hooves as the Kiwi charges in and lets fly with a cunningly disguised leg-side wide long hop. Seizing his chance, the Bashar formerly known as Habibul whirls and gloves the ball straight to wicket keeper Brendon McCullum. Ah well, there's always another day (although in the Bangladeshi case, not many more in this World Cup). Kimberley is famous for its diamonds, but I'm afraid Habibul is no gem.
    DD rating - 5 lilypads

Breadcrumb moment - Chris Cairns (New Zealand)

Having previously featured in the first sponsored breadcrumb moment of this World Cup (see NZ v WI, 13 February), Chris Cairns puts himself in the spotlight once again, this time attempting to secure a sponsorship from a company producing a certain dairy product - not milk, not cream, not cheese or yogurt, well not today anyway. Butter for Chris. His fingers were covered in it when Mohammad Ashraful popped a straightforward chance in his direction at square leg. Either that or they make cricket balls out of soap nowadays.
    Last edited by luckyeddie; 26-02-2003 at 03:29 PM.

<quack>

26 February, England v India, Durban

Zaheer Khan (India)

With wickets tumbling like there's no tomorrow in the final over of the innings bowled by Andy Caddick, the 'Kiwi with the F.A. Cup ears' comes thundering (some mistake, surely?) in to bowl to Killer Harbhajan in search of the elusive hat-trick. Struggling valiantly uphill into the wind against such air resistance, he bowls the perfect slower one (actually, he's just tired and that's as much speed as he can muster). The turbaned one in the big helmet plays about three strokes - all different - before charging down the wicket for a single. Alec Stewart promptly throws down the wicket. What has all this to do with Zaheer Khan, you ask? "What is all this to be doing with me?" Zaheer himself asks. Well, he's the non-striker, yet to receive a ball - and now he's got his shirt all dirty for nothing. Oh, I am soooooo tempted to give it the maximum, just for the sheer quality of the duck, but was it perfection? No, not quite. Now if England had gone on to win by 1 wicket or if it had happened on another day to Nicky de Groot.... but that was never going to happen. Joint first place.
    DD rating - 9 lilypads (alongside Ehsanul Haque)

Javagal Srinath (India)

It's not often four wickets fall in four balls when England are bowling. Understandable, really - they just don't play enough games against this Indian tail. Anyway, Andy Caddick, never a man to turn down the odd bit of rabbit especially after the mauling he took from those nasty tigers earlier in the innings, puts another slower ball up. Javagal Srinath, facing his first ball like everyone else in the last few minutes makes a little room, frees up his arms, takes aim and plays his signature smear straight to Marcus Trescothick who obliges nicely. All a bit predictable - but funny all the same.
    DD rating - 7.5 lilypads

Alec Stewart (England)

A few years ago (when England were good), if England had bowled first the call used to go up from the skipper "keep your pads on Alec - you're opening." Nowadays, the team is more democratic - a few others get their chance of failure first. Anyway, Alec just about had time to take his pads off, pour his tea, put his pads back on, go out to bat, get in the way of his first ball -an inswinger - from Ashish Nehra, get given out leg before, walk back, take his pads off and still scald his mouth before his cuppa went cold. Like his tea - short and sweet.
    DD rating - 6 lilypads

Ronnie Irani (England)

The England test discard has always strived for consistency - well, today he achieved it. No wickets, no runs either. In fairness, the ball he got from Ashish Nehra was good enough to get anyone out - even a batsman. He tried so hard too. Hung his bat out first delivery as if he was a child at a fairground 'Hook-a-Duck' stall, but the ball missed his blade by a good three inches. He took stock of the situation, settled down and tried again. Positive thinking - playing it all out in his mind - careful... careful... success! The big one with the broken beak. That's the one. Giant teddy bear. Sorry, Ronnie - you only won the funny nose attached to the fake glasses.
    DD rating - 4 lilypads

Breadcrumb moment - Nick Knight (England)

New over from Srinath. England have made a good start, taking 6 runs from Zaheers first over. It's important that they do not lose momentum at the start of the innings. Let's turn up the volume on the DevilDucky stump-mic (pat pending) to find out just what the England openers are discussing in midwicket.
    At this point, we must apologise to those not totally familiar with the West Country accent of one of the more accomplished (though sadly out of form) England openers. And yes, before anyone points it out, I know that Keynsham is very close to Bristol sorry Brissle and is not really 'the West Country'.

<Marcus Trestcothick> Roight, moi lovely. We be goin ter troy an run zum zingles at the ztaaaaart o the innins
    <Nick Knight> Pardon?
    <MT> Oi said, we gartaa keep zgorebord tickin owver
    <NK> You mean, one has to keep rotating the strike, look to turn ones into twos, be positive?
    <MT> Oo Ar
    <NK> Righty oh, Marcus, old chap.
    <MT> Yer whaaaat?
    <NK> Yes indeedy.
    <MT> Waaatch out fer yon Merammid Kafe, tho, ee go loike a whippet wi a banger up is aaass. Don take un to ee.
    <NK> Eh?
    <MT> Jus push zingles, Niiiick.

Nick eyes up the field. Thinks (Ah, Kaif's at midwicket. Marcus says he's a bit of a dog - at least I think that's what he said.)

<NK> Come one
    <MT> Drink up ye zoider, drink up ye zoider.....

Breadcrumb moment - Ashish Nehra (India)

So many great moments today, but the one which sticks in my mind involves his sixth and final wicket, an impromptu drinks break, a quick bite of banana and the young mans lunch - back again for all to see.

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar

I'd just like to point out that Tres doesn't really talk like that, although it was used to great effect, LE, or should I say, the Duck
    Last edited by Anna; 26-02-2003 at 05:33 PM.

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

Originally posted by Anna

I'd just like to point out that Tres doesn't relly talk like that, although it was used to great effect, LE, or should I say, the Duck
    <quack> Oi agree with ee, Anna, ee be a really noice chaaap.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information