• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Here we go

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And the Windies only select 3 Fast Bowlers - that's an interesting start - they need good overs from Gayle etc.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the commentators have said that mclean should be in there for powell, ill be interested to know whos going to get dropped for samules then.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lara has just been caught!

I dont think that 250 will be enough (assuming they get about that). There bowling attack, apart from Dillon looks very poor.

As for Donald, I have never seen him look so jaded, I think this could be a tournament to far for him...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Great effort from Lara.... and now Powell and Sarwan are giving it a whack..... Shaun Pollock clobbered for 23 runs in an over with two sixes by Sarwan.

well, now 280 is the target for SA... I'd say its quite a decent score but now its upto the WI bowlers to make this very impressive effort, count.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Collins is a much improved bowler and Drakes is in form and has SA experience. What an innings!!! I'm speechless...

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Well well well ! Lara is the man of the moment, I couldn't have asked for a better start to the World Cup. I left the match at 7/2 with a stuttery start and when I came back WI were 225/5 of 46...great effort and good clean hitting at the end as well. This match should be a toughie for the Hosts

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
With Pollock gone too and the score reading 160/6 off 33 overs..... unless Zulu returns to his 1999 form, I think its a done deal in favour of WI now.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Incredible match !

For a minute I thought Zulu's 99 ghost had returned to haunt opponents, Pedro collins blooped big time.

So...the first upset in the first match, this is going to be a tough World cup.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done to the Windies, they win by 3 runs.

I really like this Windies batting lineup, however I think they're gonna be lucky to get away with just the 3 strike bowlers in future matches.
But who do you take out? because all the West Indian batsmen are performing.

The West Indies are probably just one good quick bowler & one all-rounder away from being a very good ODI unit. Although their fielding might need to improve aswell.

Brian Lara's innings was a gem, & if he continues like that he will probably top the batting averages.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I thought WI played some brilliant cricket but hopefully SA will peak at the right time!

Brilliant performance from Zulu, his selection should never have been an issue, but unfortunatly it was a lost cause.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Incredible victory.... should have been easier if Collins did not lose his brain in the boundary line with that catch of Klusener.

Well I had just mentioned in my earlier post that if Zulu performs then things may get different, and it almost did ! This guy almost turned the match on its head.

I won my bet on this match .. :cool2: ...let's see how it goes for the rest.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Gotchya said:
So...the first upset in the first match, this is going to be a tough World cup.
I don't think it was an upset because many people were saying that the West Indies could really challenge SA. They're a much improved team and will be force in a couple of years.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't think it was an upset because many people were saying that the West Indies could really challenge SA. They're a much improved team and will be force in a couple of years.
remembering that the South Africans are the second favourites

Not denying WI credit just that on relative terms its a little unexpected.

Might I add after this win, their resurrgence is confirmed.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
As the great Sir Vivian Richards said on BBC Radio 4 coverage, "class will always shine through at the end" how true for Brian Lara and to some extent Lance Klusener....(5 sixes out of 50-odd is immense)....may the World Cup continue in this vein because this was class

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
PROUD+ENGLISH said:
As the great Sir Vivian Richards said on BBC Radio 4 coverage, "class will always shine through at the end" how true for Brian Lara and to some extent Lance Klusener....(5 sixes out of 50-odd is immense)....may the World Cup continue in this vein because this was class
That Lara innings has my mouth watering, if that is any sign of things to come then one hell of a month ahead.