• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It will be a Batter's WC!!

Choora

State Regular
The 2003 world cup in Africa will be all batting, it doesn't seem as though bowlers are going to get "man of the match" awards due to inconsistency and agression at the other end of the pitch. These days we are seeing teams in parturition to agressive batsmen and they outnumber the bowlers.
With agressors like, the great Sachin Tendulkar, Chrisopher Gayle, V. Sehwag, Yuvraj, A stewart, N. Degroot, Scott Styris, Ganguly, S. Pollock and the list goes off the desk, we are sure to see more triple centuries than we have seen in previous world cups, I GUARANTEE it.
So this world cup just might be the most entertaining of its predecessors and we can look forward to our favourite batsmen getting into triple figures.

Also, all the pitches in South Africa, excepting Newlands, Cape Town and Boland Park, Paarl, are usually very high scoring pitches.
I also think spinners might have a problem on some of
the pitches.

Trescothin

Cricket Spectator
N. Degroot - I am sure Pollock, Harmison, Warne etc al are quaking in their boots at the thought of having to bowl at him

Choora

State Regular
N Degroot is agressive in the shorter form of the game. He has been playing One-dayers and four dayers for years in the C/bean and has been a star to many, while Pollock and Murali might cause problems, warne will be food for him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well De Groot may not have to worry about Harmison if he doesn't get his accuracy right either.

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah right. Warnie always gets eaten up by batsmen that can't average 25 in either form of the game.

If De Groot was any good he would have stayed in the West Indies and had a real career.

Choora

State Regular
Ringua said:
Yeah right. Warnie always gets eaten up by batsmen that can't average 25 in either form of the game.

If De Groot was any good he would have stayed in the West Indies and had a real career.
Warnie as you so Lovingly address him is NOT the best spin bowler, mr Ringua, and men like Carl hooper and Lance Klusener and others that love spin, will rip him apart.

Could you be more careful with your choice of similes here, please!

Don't get me wrong I really like his style, but batsmen like Degroot - who love spin - are not to be taken lightly on the field.

Have a nice day.

For those who have never heard of De Groot, click here

http://statserver.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/ICC/CAN/DEGROOT_NA_17008167/

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's harsh. He just wasn't gonna get selected for the West Indies although he didn't do that badly.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Choora said:
Warnie as you so Lovingly address him is NOT the best spin bowler, mr Ringua, and men like Carl hooper and Lance Klusener and others that love spin, will rip him apart. Don't get me wrong I really like his style, but batsmen like Degroot - who love spin - are not to be taken lightly on the field.

Have a nice day.

http://statserver.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/ICC/CAN/DEGROOT_NA_17008167/

And Warne is not to be taken lightly ether he has over 250 ODI wickets at 25 thats pritty bloody good.

You are seriously deluded if you think warne is not a good One Day bowler.

He is Leg spinner thats why he can be expensive at times but thats exectly the same with all LS bowlers.

I seriously cant see DeGroot doing anything agaisnt any of the top cricketing nations.

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Choora said:
Warnie as you so Lovingly address him is NOT the best spin bowler, mr Ringua, and men like Carl hooper and Lance Klusener and others that love spin, will rip him apart. Don't get me wrong I really like his style, but batsmen like Degroot - who love spin - are not to be taken lightly on the field.

Have a nice day.

I have to say that his statistics are nothing special. Is that whole conversation a joke? As for WARNE!, like any spin bowler he is vulnerable to get slogged. But he is a bowler who has such variety that he keeps batsmen thinking. And if they are concentrating on slogging, they will get caught out. I think Warne is the best spinner in the world. He can bowl on any surface. I fail to see how Muralitharan can be the best bowler ever when he only averages 28 outside Sri Lanka. I don't think that even allows him to qualify as superior to Warne.
I do think however that the man of the world cup will be a batsmen. I have got my money on the following in no particular order, Tendulkar, Kallis, Hayden, Gilchrist, & Ponting. We may see some greatness from Lara as well, that depends on his mood

Bazza

International 12th Man
I think we will see plenty from the bowlers, especially against the minor nations. Do you really think the Holland line up is going to take Brett Lee apart? Or is it more likely that we will regularly see stumps flying back and endangering Gilchrist? You work it out.

As for De Groot, if he's so good how come no-one's ever heard of him. I can't see some guy with a domestic average of 21 really scaring the best bowlers in the world. Of course they will give him respect but I don't think he's gonna give them a lesson or anything like that.

Just so you know Craig White averages nearly 28 in domestic List A cricket, and can be aggressive, but he will bat at 8 for England probably and I don't think he'll give McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Warne, Shoaib, Waqar, Wasim, Saqlain, etc any sleepless nights.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Trescothin said:
N. Degroot - I am sure Pollock, Harmison, Warne etc al are quaking in their boots at the thought of having to bowl at him
Well, unless Canada make the Super Sixes, Warne and Harmison are safe!

To be fair this bloke did have an outstanding VWC.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
Warnie as you so Lovingly address him is NOT the best spin bowler, mr Ringua, and men like Carl hooper and Lance Klusener and others that love spin, will RIP him apart ********************** (removed on the grounds of taste and decency)
Don't get me wrong I really like his style, but batsmen like Degroot - who love spin - are not to be taken lightly on the field.
Who is the best spin bowler then - to me Warne is as good as anyone, and an eco rate of 4.25 doesn't suggest to me that people have had much success ripping his bowling apart!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Probably because against India he averages 56 and his economy is 5.19, therefore Indians seem to have a lower opinion of Warne compared with the rest of the world, which is kind of understandable. Same as Australia don't rate Caddick! :lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As for the wonderful de Groot...

23.5 Sanwar Hossain to de Groot, OUT: oooh bottom edge to covers

Canada 104/5, Partnership of 12
NA de Groot c Alok Kapali b Sanwar Hossain 0 (4b 0x4 0x6)
IS Billcliff 29* (35b 5x4) Sanwar Hossain 3.5-0-8-2

Stunning...

Last edited:

Choora

State Regular
Not surprising considing this is comming from someone who is used to judge a player by his performance in a single match.

Adam Gilchrist went for single run in the first match!!!

Must be a crap player:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cloete

International Captain
OMG Choora!! how could u rate warne so lowly!! let me take a wild guess and say u think the best spinner in the world is harbhajan singh or anil kumble. we're talking about THE SHANE WARNE here!! how insippit u r!!

Choora

State Regular
Harbhajan is not even the best off spinner,leave alone the best spinner in the world.Kumble is past his best and even at his peak he wasn't the greatest.

And for Warne, i think he is history now, though if he doesn't get a two yr ban, i would be pleased.To me Murali is the best spinner in the world!