• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib targets Aussie trio

Eclipse

International Debutant
This guy is a ****y prick somtimes I hope Gilly, Hayden and Ponting murder him.

What an ego!

PAKISTAN paceman Shoaib Akhtar has sounded a warning to Australian stroke-makers, saying he plans to give a special performance against the best during the World Cup.

"I want to target Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist," said the glamour boy of Pakistan cricket, known as much for his fiery pace as his controversial bowling action.

Pakistan, runners-up at the last World Cup, open their campaign with a mouth-watering clash against defending champions Australia in Johannesburg tomorrow week 11.

"I can't tell you how anxiously I'm waiting for this match. We'll win it and show the world we're there to win the cup," said Akhtar, nicknamed the "Rawalpindi Express" for his ability to unsettle batsmen with sheer pace.

"I want to be the best against the best and the World Cup will be an ideal event to prove that. Pakistan will surprise everyone with their performance and lift the cup," he said.

Akhtar denied he is interested in the "Battle of Pace" with Australian Brett Lee, saying his primary job is to take wickets rather than bowling just fast.

"That's (the pace battle with Lee) is not my aim," said Akhtar, who reportedly crossed the 100m/ph speed barrier in a one-dayer against New Zealand at Lahore last year.

The record was, however, not officially recognised.

"Lee is not a match-winner. Only when he starts winning matches for his team will he be compared with me," said Akhtar, who has so far grabbed 122 wickets in 75 one-dayers.

Critics say Akhtar can be a consistent match-winner if he overcomes his injury and attitude problems.

"I think Akhtar is our trump card and he will take wickets," said former Pakistani fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz.

Akhtar conceded he is feeling the pressure of expectations, but denied Pakistan are a one-man team.

"I'm feeling the pressure because everyone is looking at me to take wickets. I'll do my best, but Pakistan is not a one-man team. We have quality bowlers," he said.

He fulfilled his fans' expectations when he played a major role in his team's surprise 2-1 victory over Australia last year, taking 5-13 at the 'Gabba.

"The way he bowled in Australia was remarkable and if he maintains fitness, he can do what Pakistan needs most – getting key wickets," said Imran Khan, who led Pakistan to their only World Cup triumph in 1992 in Australia.

But doubts remain.

"He seems to be a spoilt bowler. He plays when he wants to and I doubt he will be able to contribute fully," said former Pakistan captain and coach Intikhab Alam.

Akhtar reportedly had an off-the-field clash with team-mate Younis Khan in Zimbabwe and was then criticised for mingling with Indian film stars instead of returning home after his team's Test series in South Africa last year.

But the star bowler brushed aside the criticism, saying he knows what his aim is.

"I'm only bothered about my performance, nothing else. Other things will not distract me from the goal – winning the Cup," he said.

Willow Whacker

Cricket Spectator
The only people afraid of Shoab and the Pakistanis are the bookmakers and punters who gamble on them performing to the best of their ability.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WW

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah well he's playing mind games. He aint a prick, so just watch the language there mate. Ive seen a lot worse said by Australia in the past when McGrath and Warnie were young and had a bigger ego than Akhtar.

McGrath and Warnie have Matured now and its good to see. Akhtar's just playing mind games, and I dont blame him for that.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne & McGrath were able to be arrogant because they knew they would take wickets against whoever they targeted.

Whereas Shoaib will either take 5 wickets against Australia or Hayden, Ponting & Gilchrist will absolutely annihilate him.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah well the way brett lee is bowling atm, i would say hes faster, fitter and far more dangerous than acktar, and he can bat way better as well

Cloete

International Captain
i could be alot moe severe than say akhtar is an arrogant prick!:!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!(

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
So McGrath has matured? Is that why he's just predicted that Australia will win the cup without loosing a game? I've found his predictions to be a bit off the mark most of the time...remember he said England would get trounced 5-0 in the Ashes :rolleyes:

Anyway remember McGrath targeted Vaughan in the Ashes? Well...633 runs in 10 innings average 63.30...great job Glenn...you managed to get him out 4 times. Wow. :rolleyes:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well McGrath was close..it ended 4-1

anyway Vaughan is probably one of the first players which McGrath has struggled to snare..he usually publically announces a player he's after i.e. Stephen Fleming or Brian Lara & they pretty much oblige to him.

I think McGrath has matured, well on the field anyway...I was watching cricket archives of him back in 1997/1998 & everytime a batsman hit him for four he gave them a serve. I think now days he's changed his attitude & decided to let his bowling do the talking & statistically it probably shows.

Eclipse

International Debutant
4-1 is close enough it was still a thrasing.

McGrath has the right to be arrogant Shoiab cant back it up.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
4-1 is close enough it was still a thrasing.

McGrath has the right to be arrogant Shoiab cant back it up.
Maybe it was a bad loss yes but McGrath got it wrong, as he has a habit of doing as he over estimates the element which makes cricket what it is, the element of unpredictibility...

Look at what Vaughan has done, he's scored more runs than anyone in the calender year and all he comes up with is "Yeah it's a bit of a surprise". McGrath would have probably come up with "yes and I did because I'm great". It just shows the difference in the way players over here are brought up. The only English player with a big ego is Gough really.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Also on your comment about Shoaib Akhtar...yes he's ****y but he's no worse than the Australian players, and at least he doesn't swear at umpires because he doesn't get a decision in his favour or smashing up a window because he gets out. ;)

Also, with best figures of 6-11 in Tests and 6-16 in ODIs with basically all the wickets being clean bowled or LBW...wouldn't you be confident?

Eclipse

International Debutant
I agree that Austrlians typicly are more arogant than English but you cant say McGrath gets things wrong very often thats just totaly not true.

Look at his prediction about his 300th wicket he said he would get Campbell, Lara to bring up his 300 witch he did.

He has publicly targeted many batsman and to my knowlage Vaughan is the only one to beat him at his own game. maybe with the exeption of Tendulkar in ODI cricket.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
Also on your comment about Shoaib Akhtar...yes he's ****y but he's no worse than the Australian players, and at least he doesn't swear at umpires because he doesn't get a decision in his favour or smashing up a window because he gets out. ;)

Also, with best figures of 6-11 in Tests and 6-16 in ODIs with basically all the wickets being clean bowled or LBW...wouldn't you be confident?
Ok but smashing a window is not necicarily a sing of ****yness just disapointment.

And I think many of the Australians are better than they once were Ponting for example is very good these days.

And who swore at the umpire ? If you are talking about McGill then who cares he is a prick and I am willing to say that.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Ok but smashing a window is not necicarily a sing of ****yness just disapointment.

And I think many of the Australians are better than they once were Ponting for example is very good these days.

And who swore at the umpire ? If you are talking about McGill then who cares he is a prick and I am willing to say that.
No it was Gilchrist and he was fined because of it.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ok thats right I remember that.

I would not say thats in Character for Gilchrist though so its not like he is a constent offender.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Ok thats right I remember that.

I would not say thats in Character for Gilchrist though so its not like he is a constent offender.
Well he shouldn't have done it anyway.

As for Hayden smashing the window, I feel that is something he is likely to do again. I mean the guy gets so ****y on the field and when he gets out it's usually a slog when he feels he's in such good form he can do anything and then he gets out and he realises he's human after all and takes it out on the window.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The Australians play the game in a very aggressive way, and I know from experiance that it can sometimes go wrong. I mean I was playing in an indoor game yesterday and we just kept getting their best player out (4 times in total) and he just got more and more angry and snapped, blocked the ball then ran down the pitch and kicked it and it hit the umpire smack in the stomach! He was then sent off. If you play in an aggressive manner then where is all that aggression going to go when you get out or something doesn't go your way? When you are pumped up and you get out or you bowl a dead straight ball and it's given not out...your more liable to fly off the handle than if you keep your mouth shut, a good example of which is Kallis.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yeah thats a good point I can see some sense in that.

I just love the way our batsman are fearless and love to take to the oposition bowling :P

It does not allways come off but It wins us games that would normaly be draws and because we have so many good stroke makers the chances of it coming off are pritty good.

Now that I am so used to seeing agreesive batting I am probably to critical of deffensve batsman like Kallis who is very good but Just really anoyes me because I feel he would be a much better player if he were more aggresive.

I think Kallis could do a little bit of a Vaughan in that ever since Vaughan changed his attitude to batting he has been much better. Just think how good Kallis would be lol.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It just shows the difference in the way players over here are brought up. The only English player with a big ego is Gough really.
Absolute and utter tripe, my boy! :)

The only arrogant English player is Goughie? Give-me-a-fricken'-break! I heard some pretty crazy things about Nasser Hussain when I played for Adelaide Uni about his stint there a few years ago from former team-mates. Thatś just one isolated example.

Letś not kid ourselves here, people; Iḋ venture to say that not ONE Test player got to where they are today without knowing pretty well just how good they are and most of the time, that is translated into arrogance. Itś only natural, after all. Iḋ also venture to say that the Aussies just express their attitude more, which is often in a negative way. Does this mean theyŕe more arrogant than other Test players. Not likely!

Besides, Rik, would you honestly expect arrogant, emotional outbursts from players who originate from one of the most emotionally repressed nations on the planet? :D

And Eclipse; Ahktarś diatribe above is no more arrogant than Glenn McGrathś every year where he states his intentions about his opponents every year in every news paper.

Anyway remember McGrath targeted Vaughan in the Ashes? Well...633 runs in 10 innings average 63.30...great job Glenn...you managed to get him out 4 times. Wow.
Considering he got Vaughan in half of the innings in which they played against each other, Iḋ say thatś actually a brilliant effort. Vaughan would have averaged 80 and maybe won another game off his own bat if it wasnṫ for Glenn McGrathś bowling at him. Glenn averaged 20.00 for the series without actually picking up a 5-fer.

So considering he got him in 4 out of 8 innings having said heḋ targetted him, Iḋ say heḋ done his job quite well. Even though Vaughan score two hundreds in that time (when McGrath was playing), England only came close to winning a match in that time once. This suggests that McGrath minimised Vaughanś impact when it counted, which is his job, really. Ergo, He probably did win on points.