• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flower

Thomas Aquinas

Cricket Spectator
Andy Flower will dominate the world cup and migth single handly carry there team in to the super 6 stage. If they are to reach this stage they need someone to support him along the way the only person that i believe is capapble of doing this is Grant Flower. But i doubt that the flower brothers can score enough runs on there own to win enough mathces as there bowling attack is quite erratic and inconsistent

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
thats a big call. One player cant win you a world cup. You need the whole team playing well. To make the super 6 stage i think Zimbabwe would need Andy Flower to make probably 3 centuries in 6 games, and i really dont think he can do it.

Thomas Aquinas

Cricket Spectator
i said he might carry them through to the next stage if he gets good support. And andy is a player that thrives on pressure i believe he could make 3 centuries in 6 games:cool2: :cool2:

Simon

a year or two ago i would have said he could do it but not now.
i think Zimbabwe can make the S6 stage. But they will need Streak, A. Flower, G.Flower and a youngster, Taibu (sp?) to play well in the same crucial matches against England and India and Pakistan.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Taibu may be a talented keeper but I don't see a problem with Flower keeping in ODIs as it's hardly going to exhaust him is it?

Simon

taibu is a good batsman too, and perhaps he is just the better keeper of the two.

Thomas Aquinas

Cricket Spectator
Taibu batting isnt going to warrant selection. So Flower should keep then zim can play an extra bowler or batsman. Taibu usually bat about no.8 in their team.

Thomas Aquinas

Cricket Spectator
Andy Blignaut is one zimbabwe player that could make a huge differance. He is Zimbabwe's fastest bowler and is a huge hitter of the ball and they say he bats a bit like klusner

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Thomas Aquinas said:
Andy Blignaut is one zimbabwe player that could make a huge differance. He is Zimbabwe's fastest bowler and is a huge hitter of the ball and they say he bats a bit like klusner
I agree, with Doug Hondo who's been impressive, and Heath Streak returning the side looks better. I'm not sure Brian Murphy will ever be close to International Standard though it's good to see Guy Whittall back. I was waiting for a re-call for Dirk Viljoen who is a good all-rounder, but they picked Ervine who's done nothing so far...

Thomas Aquinas

Cricket Spectator
And they made Brain Murphy captain. What a joke he really doesnt look to have much potenial at all.

Here is my Zimbabwe 11.
1. M. Vermulen
2. A. Campbell
3. G. Flower
4. A. Flower
5. S. Carlisle
6. D. Marriler
7. H. Sreak
8. A. Blignaut
9. T. Friend
10. D. Hondo
11. H. Olonga

BUt Campbell and Carlisle arent in the world cup squad and will have to be replaced. Ebrahim will replace Campbell and Craig Wishart will replace Carlisle.
Campbell may be in terrible form but is one player that has proved he can score big runs against quality opposition.
Carlisle was dropped for polttical reasons because of an altercation with the board.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
What happened to Gavin Rennie?
What about Dion Ebrahim?
Gavin Rennie is one of the best openers in Zimbabwe but he's white...I suppose the ZCU just wanted a black opener...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Watch your step there Rik...

Zimbabwe A vs South Africa A - 26 Jan 03
CB Wishart
MA Vermeulen
A Flower
GW Flower
DD Ebrahim
GJ Whittall
*HH Streak
TJ Friend
+T Taibu
BA Murphy
DT Hondo

Looks suspiciously like the first choice XI to me...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Er, Marc... date...

26th January, i.e. Monday :D

They lost the first game heavily, then brought in Andy Flower for Doug Marillier (that's the only change) and then won the next two (narrowly).

Langeveldt

Soutie
That does look like a 1st XI. They even have Streak the two Flowers, Whittal and Wishart who are experienced campaigners for the 1st XI.
The only omissions appear to be Carlisle and Blignaut (Injured?)

Isnt there some kind of law preventing sides putting out A teams that are really full strength international teams?
SA A have the right to be very p***** off.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Er, Marc... date...

26th January, i.e. Monday :D

They lost the first game heavily, then brought in Andy Flower for Doug Marillier (that's the only change) and then won the next two (narrowly).
Oops, but then again i never saw the scorecard (and 26th was Sunday also) :P

Mr Mxyzptlk

Taibu may have modest stats but that's because he had a horrible run of form with the bat for a fairly long period at the start of his ODI career. He has played rather well in recent times though and is a very good keeper. Zimbabwe apear to be looking toward the admittedly scary post-Flower period which will eventually come- though not seemingly soon.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Taibu may have modest stats but that's because he had a horrible run of form with the bat for a fairly long period at the start of his ODI career. He has played rather well in recent times though and is a very good keeper. Zimbabwe apear to be looking toward the admittedly scary post-Flower period which will eventually come- though not seemingly soon.
Yeah but unless they have too few quality batsmen...I think give Flower the gloves as he's a good keeper and keep the strength in batting. Taibu may be the future but he's taking up a batting or bowling place that an all-rounder could take up and strengthen the team.