• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pool A Discussion

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pool A discussion

discussions about Pool A matches here

Pool A

1 Australia
2 England
3 Pakistan
4 India
5 Zimbabwe
6 Namibia
7 Netherlands

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i think this is a tuff group and i dont think there will be 1 side that is an absolute standout. aussies have a few injury concerns and with bevan, mgrath, gillespe , warne all carrying injuries and lehman out, the 1st 2 games are crucial with the pakis and india.

could be an interesting group.

Simon

this pool will have betetr games than the other i think, much more unpredictable.

1 Australia
2 England
3 Zimbabwe
4 Pakistan
5 India
6 Netherlands
7 Namibia

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats a bold bet to have Zimbabwe ahead of Pakistan & India after their recent form.

But you're right, if any team is unpredictable it's Pakistan & at the moment its almost impossible to tell what they'll do at the World Cup.

Simon

i put Zimbabwe in 3rd because im betting on maybe 1 or 2 teams wont play there and they have an advantage of playing at home. where they have been known to beat teams in the past.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:
India/Pakistan game will decide who goes through, and to a lesser extent the India/England game.
If Pakistan / India decides who's going through, are you saying that they're playing off for 3rd?

In that case, who's finishing second in your mind?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
i put Zimbabwe in 3rd because im betting on maybe 1 or 2 teams wont play there and they have an advantage of playing at home. where they have been known to beat teams in the past.
I don't think any sides will not play in Zimbabwe to be honest.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
This is a cracker of a pool. If all the teams play good cricket we could see a battle here. England, Pakistan and India have to fight it out with Australia for a super six berth. I am afraid the other group has lost all glamour because of abscense of too many good teams but it would have made the world cup far too predictable.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
Thats a bold bet to have Zimbabwe ahead of Pakistan & India after their recent form.

Zimb lost their last series to Pak by a margin of 5-0!

[/QUOTE] But you're right, if any team is unpredictable it's Pakistan & at the moment its almost impossible to tell what they'll do at the World Cup.
[/QUOTE]

Noone can disagree with this:saint: , they will either blow hot, or blow cold!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
*AUSTRALIA are nearly certain to progress
*ENGLAND must fire and overcome inexperience (and Harmison's woeful radar) to progress
*INDIA's highly questionable bowling and scary tendency to collapse are downers to their lethal batting
*PAKISTAN could do anything
*ZIMBABWE, to be fair, will realistically need teams not to turn up
in Harare & Bulawayo to have a shout at making it through
*HOLLAND and NAMIBIA will need miracles, and will look to their game between themselves as a grudge re-match of the ICC Trophy thriller.

Chances of Progression IMO
Australia 0.99
India 0.63
England 0.61
Pakistan 0.59
Zimbabwe 0.18
Holland 0.00
Namibia 0.00

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
These also lost their last series against England by the same score...
So?? what is your point? I mentioned Zimb's loss just to remind Tim that Zimb can't finish above India/Pak on PRESENT FORM.The Victory doesn't make Pakistan/England a great side!

I would say that Australia would head Poll A, with India ending up as runner up and England onthird spot!

Choora

State Regular
Well if Australia and England do boycott their matches against Zimbabwe,then we might see Zimbabwe reaching the super six stage:O

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
warrioryohannan said:
So?? what is your point? I mentioned Zimb's loss just to remind Tim that Zimb can't finish above India/Pak on PRESENT FORM.The Victory doesn't make Pakistan/England a great side!
But Tim was saying Zim wouldn't finish above them?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Re: Pool A discussion

broncoman said:
discussions about Pool A matches here

Pool A

1 Australia
2 England
3 Pakistan
4 India
5 Zimbabwe
6 Namibia
7 Netherlands
Australia: In tremendous form. If McGrath & Gillespie come back from injury and Warne is back to top form, will start as prohibitive favourites.

England: Can make a run for a super six spot. Difficult to see this team go beyond that. On the other hand, miracles do happen every now and then in cricket, so maybe, they can hope for one.

Pakistan: In a major slump right now. If they carry that form into the WC, they will go out in the first round. The most unpredictably dangerous team in the 'cup though.

India: Most of the good work and reputation gained during the majority of 2002 was undone during the NZ tour and shortcomings ruthlessly exposed. Remains to be seen whether the batting can pick up the pieces and perform again. Other than a resurgent Srinath and Zaheer, nothing to look forward to in bowling. Capable of a super six spot, doubtful beyond that on current form.

Zimbabwe: Capable of shock wins, but regarding the consistency required to go through to the 2nd round, highly doubtful.

Namibia and Netherlands: Can make things tight for the top teams vis-a-vis runrate if there is a close race for the three berths.

PY

International Coach
I think people are seriously under-rating Zim's chances of getting through, as the other half decent teams are inconsistent (especially India and Pakistan but also England). I don't think its inconceivable that both India and Pakistan don't get out of first gear and Zimbabwe take that 3rd spot with England second and Aus first. I like Zimbabwe a lot, and i think their players have had to put up with an almighty amount of crap (ie if other teams refuse to play, then they have their passports taken off them). I wish them well and think they have a good chance of making super sixes but maybe asking too much to get through to semis.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Zimababwe do not have half as good a squad as they did last WC. Yes, India, Pakistan and England are inconsistent but Zimbabwe is more so. They don't have the bwoling or the batting.