• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson, Maybe Bevan OUT

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
watson is Out of the world cup with a back injury, he is being replaced by Harvey, Bevan may also be out after injuring himself while batting today

Eclipse

International Debutant
ahh this is really going to hert us.

Especialy if we cant get Gillespie and McGrath fit soon.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Thats not good. Watson may have better chances later on, but Bevan was very important in the lower middle order. He can change matches around.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've heard a little rumour that if Bevan misses out, we may see the current Test captain taking his place...

Trescothin

Cricket Spectator
I always had a feeling that Australia won't be able to retain the World cup, now that things are going wrong for them, i think we might see Aussies not even making it to the final of the World cup!

Watson's absence won't be such a big problem as he was a mediocre player, but Bevan would be missed badly (if he can't make it to the Cup).McGrath & Jason are unfit and Warne has just recovered from injury.A good move would be to replace an Injured Bevan with former captain Steven Waugh, thats the best ACB selectors can do to repair the damage!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
plfft still managed to beat england (convincingly in the 1st final too) we still have a good chance of winning the cup, as long as players keep standing up and being counted, like lee and Hogg last night

Eclipse

International Debutant
Watson's a pritty good player he is better than "mediocre " and has been improving every match he has played.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bevan is going to the World Cup, they reckon he'll be right in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he will miss the first 2 Pool games the 'experts' are saying.
Without Watson i think our team will looking like this
1 Hayden 2 Gilchrist 3 Ponting 4 Martyn 5 Bevan/Maher 6 Lehmann/Symonds 7 Hogg 8 Warne 9 Lee 10 Gillespie 11 McGrath

Take out Bevan and Lehmann and thats our team for game 1. Symonds will play the last game Lehmann is suspended for and Maher will play while bevan is injured. I like the look of Hogg in the all rounders spot as he bowls 10 overs unlike Watson. Aus are more likely to only use 5 bowlers with Watson out of the team rather than a 6th to bowl a few extra overs to make up the ones he isnt bowling.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan to remain in Australian World Cup squad
Australian Cricket Board - 27 January 2003

Michael Bevan will retain his place in Australia's World Cup squad, despite suffering a low-grade tear of his right groin muscle, the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) announced today.

National Selection Panel Chairman Trevor Hohns said Bevan, who suffered the injury while batting during Saturday's second VB Series final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (25 January), was considered a vital part of the side's World Cup campaign.

"Like Michael, we were all relieved to learn that the extent of his injury was not as serious as first thought," Hohns said.

"Although he will take a few weeks to regain full fitness, the selection panel along with Ricky Ponting, unanimously agreed that he should retain his spot in the World Cup squad.

"It goes without saying that Michael is a key component of our World Cup plans, and with the relevant treatment, we are hoping that he will be back sooner rather than later," added Hohns.

Bevan's World Cup prospects were given a boost yesterday morning (26 January) after diagnostic scans revealed the injury would only keep him sidelined for two to thee weeks.

Michael Bevan said:

"Naturally when I first suffered the injury, I feared the worst and thoughts of missing the World Cup went racing through my head.

"But the groin felt considerably better by the morning and after having scans and speaking to Trefor James (ACB Medical Officer), things seemed a lot brighter," he said.

"It is obviously a big relief, and it's now up to me to do whatever it takes to get the injury right," added Bevan.

The Australian squad will depart for the World Cup on Thursday 30 January.

© 2002 Australian Cricket Board

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
i hope they play harvey instead of Symonds - better in batting and bowling
Ha ha, bet you wish you hadn't rejected Craig White so long ago now aren't you!

:lol:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
HAHAHAHAHA thats the funniest thing i have ever heard

1) white is english

2) watson ihas a far better batting average

3) watsons a far superior firlder

watson is not as good with the ball yet as white but considering hes far younger he will develop farther and be far superior to white

also Harvey is a far better player than white too

esp bowling

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
1) white is english
So? Watson is better because he's Australian I suppose...

watson is not as good with the ball yet as white but considering hes far younger he will develop farther and be far superior to white
There is no guarantee that he will. He's younger yes but not everyone develops perfectly.