• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team has the best chance to stop Australia??

Choora

State Regular
Which team do you guys think has the most chance of knocking out Australia in WC (semis or final)?? Both in terms of talent and mental toughness, which team do you think is well equipped to do that??

Trescothin

Cricket Spectator
age_master said:
South africa - they got Jonty :)

South Africa will fail against Australia as they simply can't handle the pressure applied by the Australians.

I think Black Caps can knock off Australia, they are capable of doing that and have been doing it in the recent past!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sri Lanka can only because they have some good experience, and the West Indies have the batting line up to chase a huge total under pressure in a big game.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Realistically it is South Africa or Pakistan.

Pakistan subject to playing normally :yawn:

Past records reflect that South Africa have lost to Australia more tiems then they have won, specially in pressure games.

Pakistan may not have the edge on current form, but they look to have the potential to stop the Aussies. They didn't have as good as a followup to the world cup as they did in 99, but they have done it before.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think South Africa, Pakistan and India are the only teams that are capable of stopping the Aussies at the moment.

I think India who have guys like Sehwag, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Kaif and Harbhajan could spring a surprise or two. But they must all fire at the same time!

Trescothin

Cricket Spectator
Bazzaroodoo said:
Who hasn't?

Man to man, Proteas is the only side that can match Australia, others simply can't!! Therefore its amazing to see SA losing consistently to Australia .In the words of Glen, SA simply loses the match even before the match has actually started, if that's the attitude SA posses, then they can only hope for a miracle to save them in the matches against Australia!

Choora

State Regular
Langeveldt said:
I think South Africa, Pakistan and India are the only teams that are capable of stopping the Aussies at the moment.

I think India who have guys like Sehwag, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Kaif and Harbhajan could spring a surprise or two. But they must all fire at the same time!

I agree with you on India ( irrespective of the opinion of some naive pundits on this forum:rolleyes: ) i think India remains a dangerous side that can beat any side if its star batters fires.Unfortunately Indian batsmen have been going thogh bad patch and therefore i don't have much hopes from Indian team, but if they do regain their form quickly, then India might create a big upset in WC!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
age_master said:
Srilanka dominate anyone on their day, and remember did beat ust with a bonus point at the SCG

On its day most of the teams can beat Australia, not just SL. SL,Pak,NZ,Ind and SA, all have beaten Australia in recent past in a game or two!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Choora said:
I agree with you on India ( irrespective of the opinion of some naive pundits on this forum:rolleyes: ) i think India remains a dangerous side that can beat any side if its star batters fires.
Don't try and provoke things.

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Choora said:
I agree with you on India ( irrespective of the opinion of some naive pundits on this forum:rolleyes: ) i think India remains a dangerous side that can beat any side if its star batters fires.Unfortunately Indian batsmen have been going thogh bad patch and therefore i don't have much hopes from Indian team, but if they do regain their form quickly, then India might create a big upset in WC!
...likewise they are a fragile team and are just as likely to fall in a heap and get no where.
The subcontinent teams are dangerous in that sense cause they can beat the best and then lose to mediocre teams in the space of a few days (ive never been sure as to why that is though)

masterblaster

International Captain
Well Don, its because of inconsistency and a desire to win. After they beat a strong team (ie. Australia) and then they face a Zimbabwe they get complacent and a bit ****y, and dont play with the same intensity.

Choora

State Regular
Don Ricardo said:
...likewise they are a fragile team and are just as likely to fall in a heap and get no where.
Thats why i said that they might create a BIG UPSET and didn't say that they are going to win the WC!!

Bazza

International 12th Man
The problem for India right now though is that their batsmen are in a trough, and their bowling is so weak (especially in away conditions) that they could have problems defending even 300+!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Bazzaroodoo said:
Who hasn't?
My point being that South Africa have that reputation. What I was trying to say there was that, Pakistan of all the teams (+plus) South Africa have the talent and skill to down Australia. They look like being capable. I dont have a consistent stat to indicate that but I stand by my statement. True Pakistan lost to Australia in the triangular in Aus, then in england. But of all the teams they are most likely.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I just heard one of the ABC Radio commentators on NZ Sports Radio & he believes Australia could be undone by either NZ, Pakistan, India or maybe South Africa.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
I just heard one of the ABC Radio commentators on NZ Sports Radio & he believes Australia could be undone by either NZ, Pakistan, India or maybe South Africa.

Yup, i agree with them, i don't think we can add any other team to that list!