• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The key is winning one-dayers is....

James

Cricket Web Owner
not bowling wides and no-balls!

England and New Zealand both lost their most recent games because they couldn't control themselves.

What's the bet a key World Cup game is lost by the side bowling a huge number of wides and no balls like the kiwis and the poms did.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As Cricketweb's resident gambler, I'd have to say it's very much odds on since there's so many games to be played.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
James said:
not bowling wides and no-balls!

England and New Zealand both lost their most recent games because they couldn't control themselves.

What's the bet a key World Cup game is lost by the side bowling a huge number of wides and no balls like the kiwis and the poms did.

definetaly!!

we had a first grade limited overs semi final yesterday, in which we batted first (I'm not in the team, but I'm in the club so i when i say 'we' i dont mean, my team personally) and got 231 and the other mob only bowled about 7 or 8 wides and NB, which in Sydney Grade Cricket is very good, as the average for innings seems to be about 20-25.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
From experience of Junior cricket I'm agreed, I've seen teams chase 60 with 48 extras...

Another good plan would be not to pick Owais Shah, ever again, as he appears to have no understanding of the concept of a run chase.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well how much longer is Steve Harmison going to masquerade as an international bowler? He make me want to cry he's so inaccurate. Always has been. I can put up with him in tests because he occasionally will run through sides, but he won't do that in ODIs, and doesn't serve any other purpose. It's not like he can bat or field.

On the subject of wides, it's a little ironic we are having this discussion when you consider it's 4 years since the ICC changed the rules and became super strict on wides - the 1999 WC was the first instance, with many people slating the ruling as unnecessary or ridiculous.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bazzaroodoo said:
Well how much longer is Steve Harmison going to masquerade as an international bowler? He make me want to cry he's so inaccurate. Always has been. I can put up with him in tests because he occasionally will run through sides, but he won't do that in ODIs, and doesn't serve any other purpose. It's not like he can bat or field.

Bazza,
I CANNOT AGREE MORE WITH YOU! Watching Harmison is painful, and Sky is £30 a month...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Another good plan would be not to pick Owais Shah, ever again, as he appears to have no understanding of the concept of a run chase.
On the subject of Shah, Nasser said today that the World Cup is the important thing, not the VB - so why was Shah in the team?

Bazza

International 12th Man
[clutching at straws] Because Mark Ramprakash put in a good word for his best buddy and former teammate? [/clutching at straws]

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
On the subject of Shah, Nasser said today that the World Cup is the important thing, not the VB - so why was Shah in the team?
Well that asks the question: "Why did they pick a totally out of form Irani and try to carry him if he didn't perform, instead of picking a very much inform and refreshed Hollioake?" The old arguement about giving players practise for the World Cup won't hold up as Shah has been picked lately.

Bazza

International 12th Man
No I think the official line is we are giving players practice for the 2007 world cup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bazzaroodoo said:
No I think the official line is we are giving players practice for the 2007 world cup.
Then why is Irani in over Hollioake
Why is Stewart playing rather than Read or Foster?

Selectors...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Well that asks the question: "Why did they pick a totally out of form Irani and try to carry him if he didn't perform, instead of picking a very much inform and refreshed Hollioake?" The old arguement about giving players practise for the World Cup won't hold up as Shah has been picked lately.
How is Hollioake who's not been playing any cricket in form?

I think Shah was only playing because Vaughan had been given a week off to ensure he's fit.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
How is Hollioake who's not been playing any cricket in form?

I think Shah was only playing because Vaughan had been given a week off to ensure he's fit.
Hollioake scored a good 50 and took a Wicket in a tour game. Also if you looked at his stats from last season you would see a totally different player to the one that played for England before.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Why is Stewart playing rather than Read or Foster?

Selectors...
Stewart's in because he's still better than either Read or Foster. I can see your point though. I wouldn't mind seeing him retire from ODIs soon to concentrate on Tests for a few more years. I'd then put Read in as the ODI Keeper as he's a hard hitting batsman and Foster showed no real signs that he was a OD batsman when he played, averaging 11 or something.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Rik said:
Hollioake scored a good 50 and took a Wicket in a tour game. Also if you looked at his stats from last season you would see a totally different player to the one that played for England before.
That's a real shame, because he was a perfectly good player in the first place! Doesn't look like he'll get a look in, despite blatantly being twice the player Irani is.

Agree with you on the Read thing Rik. He's gotta get another chance sooner or later.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazzaroodoo said:
That's a real shame, because he was a perfectly good player in the first place! Doesn't look like he'll get a look in, despite blatantly being twice the player Irani is.

Agree with you on the Read thing Rik. He's gotta get another chance sooner or later.
When I mean a different player I mean one who now is super confident. After he was dropped by England he didn't really set the world on fire in the Domestic Game, but last season he did. It would be mad not to let him have a go...unless we are back to the old style of English selections...ie not giving someone a go unless he does so well they have to keep picking him...then they would be proved wrong and oh dear...that can't happen can it?

English Cricket in the mid 90s was held back by selectors not wanting to seem right all the time, worrying more about themselves than the team. If this happens again then I will personally complain.

Bazza

International 12th Man
What makes you think it isn't happening?

I would have many serious questions of the modern day selections.

Why is the perfectly good Trescothick/Knight partnership being broken up to make way for someone unproven in one day cricket, especially when we need someone to fill the number 3 hole and he hasn't even been tried there?

Why was James Foster picked to tour India and New Zealand last winter when he clearly couldn't catch a ball to save his life. OK so he could bat a bit, but surely a wicketkeeper is there to keep wicket? If not pick a proper batsman.

How on earth did Steve Harmison make the World Cup squad? He's not bringing anything to the side at all. What was it the Aussies said about Scott Muller? Can't bowl, can't bat, can't field.

The list goes on, and in case you couldn't tell, I'm feeling very disgruntled right now. :!(