• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Court bid to stop umpire

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Found this on Foxsports.com.au

What do you guys think?

Eyes

Court bid to stop umpire
By Roger Martin
January 10, 2003

A SRI Lankan-born Australian said he would go to the High Court to stop Darrell Hair from officiating in games involving spinner Muttiah Muralitharan after the Federal Court refused to ban the umpire from taking to the field.

Viji De Alwis claims Hair is biased against Muttiah Muralitharan because the umpire wrote a book in which he described the spinner's action as diabolical. Mr De Alwis says Hair's fairness, judgment and balance have to be called into question.

"Justice must not only be done, but undoubtedly and manifestly be seen to be done," Mr De Alwis told the Federal Court yesterday.

"By saying what (Hair) said in his autobiography, he has disqualified himself."

Hair no-balled Muralitharan seven times in three overs during the 1995 Boxing Day Test in Melbourne. In his autobiography, released in 1998, Hair said he would have no hesitation in no-balling the off-spinner again.

Although Hair has umpired in Sri Lankan games this summer, Muralitharan has been absent due to injury.

The spinner returned to action against Australia at the SCG yesterday, but Hair's only role in the match was as the television umpire.

Mr De Alwis claimed Hair had breached the disability discrimination provisions of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Act by no-balling Muralitharan.

Muralitharan has a deformity in his right arm that prevents him from fully straightening it, which can give the impression he is throwing the ball.

But Federal Court judge Robert French refused to grant the injunction, and labelled the action as "nonsensical".

"My view on having read these papers is it is a complete and utter waste of time," Justice French said. "Nobody's time should be wasted dealing with nonsense just because it appears on a court form."

Outside the court, Mr De Alwis vowed to appeal the ruling and take his fight to the High Court if necessary.

Mr De Alwis has previously given legal advice to the Board of Control for Cricket in Sri Lanka, but said he was taking this action simply as a spectator and supporter of the team.

The Australian

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr De Alwis claimed Hair had breached the disability discrimination provisions of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Act by no-balling Muralitharan.

Muralitharan has a deformity in his right arm that prevents him from fully straightening it, which can give the impression he is throwing the ball.
Hmmmmmmmm.................debateable at best. An umpire is there to decide on the legality of a bowler's action and if he decides it's doubtful, he has an obligation to report it. It's not as if an umpire can just no-ball bowlers without warning anymore. The action has been passed as fair BUT, the umpire has to keep an eye on it. I mean, the action isn't ALWAYS going to fair (like for all bowlers) just like a pilot's eyesight isn't ALWAYS going to be good enough to fly. If an employer then stood-down a pilot, would they be culpable under the same acts? I think not...........

I think this guy is just worried that Hair will call Murali without warning. I don't think he'd dare, really. If he did, he'd be mightly stupid because he'd be in opposition to the findings of an independent study which acknowledged in its report that there was no way an umpire could tell at full-speed whether he was chucking or not and that the appearance of chucking was an optical illusion. He'd be WAY out of line.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah well im gonna say i dont think he could scramble the seame thatmuch and get that much trun if it was not for his deformity

Kimbo

International Debutant
but he cant help the way his arm is. you cant tell him to change his arm because he gets so much turn. just the way it is.

sasnoz

Banned
well thats tough its an unfair advantage for him to have,also his arm seems to be straight when he accepts his man of the match award

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LOL Sas.

Some little nobody looking for a bit of attention if you ask me.

Should never have made the press.

Langeveldt

Soutie
DONT get me started on Murali's action. But this is a bit worrying for umpiring if they cannot give their own opinion for fear of being sued, or criticized or banned because of it.

Surely though, if he has a disability in the most vital part of his anatomy for bowling, should he be playing top flight cricket??
I dont intend this to flare up into a Murali action thread/should he be banned/would it be racist etc. I just disagree with the whole thing, Imagine if he became leading test wicket taker of all time or something, it would be a bit unfair seeing as he gets an advantage with the action . Thats the last word on this from me, sorry if i have offended anyone!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
DONT get me started on Murali's action. But this is a bit worrying for umpiring if they cannot give their own opinion for fear of being sued, or criticized or banned because of it.

Surely though, if he has a disability in the most vital part of his anatomy for bowling, should he be playing top flight cricket??
I dont intend this to flare up into a Murali action thread/should he be banned/would it be racist etc. I just disagree with the whole thing, Imagine if he became leading test wicket taker of all time or something, it would be a bit unfair seeing as he gets an advantage with the action . Thats the last word on this from me, sorry if i have offended anyone!
Like Glenn McGrath gets an advantage from being tall?

Langeveldt

Soutie
By being tall and bowling quickly and accurately, Glenn McGrath is doing nothing wrong (discount what he says to the batsmen afterwards!) Chucking is wrong , and unfortunately Murali has no way of stopping himself from doing it.
Plus i said I would say nothing more on the subject! :rolleyes:

sasnoz

Banned
theres no limit on how tall u are,but there is on how u bend arm and straightened it lets face it if people get away with that theres gonna be a new type of spin bowlers popping up called bentarmers

anzac

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Imagine if he became leading test wicket taker of all time or something, it would be a bit unfair seeing as he gets an advantage with the action .
it's not if but when he becomes leading wicket taker!!!!!!!
& with that sort of physical advantage the record he will set may not be broken for a very very long long time!!!!!

:ticking:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:

If a player is good enough then even if he has a disability (I have dispraxia, would that count me out?) should he not still play? His action is within the rules, so he plays, it's quite fair really.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anzac said:
it's not if but when he becomes leading wicket taker!!!!!!!
& with that sort of physical advantage the record he will set may not be broken for a very very long long time!!!!!
:ticking:
There will never be another Murali, his action and defected elbow added to the flexibility of his wrists...I don't think anyone else will get all of these conditions together, or at least anyone who will play cricket in my opinion. A set of circumstances came together and created Murali. It would be quite scary if the process happened again.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, enough of Murali, on to the main topic. Didn't Hair just umpire in the match? I didn't hear of any problems...

anzac

International Debutant
hell we could even get into the debate regarding the advantages of 'fast twitch' muscle fibre & hyper extendable joints for fast bowlers etc......:lol: :lol: :lol:

;)

sasnoz

Banned
he throws blatantly murali and he would have been kicked out long ago if sri lanka didnt threat the icc to leave cricket

Cloete

International Captain
i actually agree with sasnoz. he might have a dis-ability but he still throws the ball. if he can do that y can't every1 else? every1 else should be able to throw the ball and get away with it. bu then wat would become of cricket!! instead i don't think n e 1 should b able to "chuck" the ball. murali is a cheat. he's a bloody good bowler, but he cheats. and to think that umpires can't even call a bowler for throwing bcoz u might get an earfull from the press and the public is absolute (forgive the swearing i never normally swear but i find it MOST applicable in this instance)BULL****!!!! murali is a bloody cheat and i h8 him!!!!:!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
WCCC, you really need to calm down and stop contradicting yourself mate.

If he's a cheat and throws the ball, how can you say he's a good bowler - the 2 are mutually exclusive!

sasnoz

Banned
i mean hes still got to place the ball and develop variations but hes got a unfair advantage and if the icc kicked him out they would have been called racist, but if it was a englishmen they would have been heroed

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
WCCC, you really need to calm down and stop contradicting yourself mate.

If he's a cheat and throws the ball, how can you say he's a good bowler - the 2 are mutually exclusive!
lol:lol: :lol: yeah i know but i always get sooooo heated up over murali.

yeah like sasnoz said he has developed variations and his placemen is good. what i mean is that if his action was legal he'd be a bloody good bowler. problem is he's throwing so it isn't legal and he shouldn't be allowed to bowl with that action.

btw sasnoz agree with u entirely bout murali being banned