• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England World Cup 15

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nasser Hussain
Marcus Trescothick
Nick Knight
Michael Vaughan
Paul Collingwood
Ronnie Irani
Ian Blackwell
Alec Stewart
Andrew Flintoff
Craig White
Ashley Giles
Andrew Caddick
Stephen Harmison
Matthew Hoggard
James Anderson

We picked 13/15 right - with Kirtley & Shah making way for Harmison and Anderson.

I'm well pleased with that squad, and for once in my life am not going to make a single complaint about something England's selectors have chosen.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Also if I was Adam Hollioake I'd be pretty peed off, Ronny Irani plays and does nothing and gets picked for the WC, Hollioake doesn't get a chance and doesn't get picked. I hope he rams it into the selector's faces if he gets a chance when the ODIs start again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Snape has never done a lot for England, is a much weaker bowler than Giles, and a much weaker batsman than Blackwell - we don't need 3 spinners.

As for Hollioake, he was only ever cover, and if they'd really thought of taking him, he'd have played in at least one of the recent VB games.

I'd be surprised to see him back unless one of White / Flintoff pulls out injured.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:

We picked 13/15 right - with Kirtley & Shah making way for Harmison and Anderson.
Can I plead mitigating circumstances - we picked the squad when those 2 had never played ODIs.

Orin

School Boy/Girl Captain
Man they forgot me. I think that they should have given Adam Hollioke a run again.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Orin said:
Man they forgot me. I think that they should have given Adam Hollioke a run again.
Well, now that Irani's hit a bad patch...let him have a go!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Well since he joined up when Flintoff left, I guess that's your answer.
Oh ok. I thought he might have been a replacement for Irani after his appauling form :lol:

sasnoz

Banned
what about ally brown hes a type of player who can win a match in 60 deliverys
i dont no to much about him wats ur guys thought

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Another Surrey bias came in with him.

To be fair he had a reasonable effort, but One Day cricket needs more stroke players than sloggers, which is what he is.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Kabir.. instead of who?!

2-0-25-1 against Australia A, wasn't it?

What reasoning could you possibly have to take Kabir ahead of Hoggard, Caddick, Anderson or Harmison?

Besides, Kirtley is next in the pecking order and then even Tudor would come before Kabir Ali in my mind... and that's saying a lot. Before Kabir can expect to be a serious contender for a place, he needs to improve his consistency.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I believe it's the best squad that England can put out currently, all things considered.

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Kabir.. instead of who?!

2-0-25-1 against Australia A, wasn't it?

What reasoning could you possibly have to take Kabir ahead of Hoggard, Caddick, Anderson or Harmison?

Besides, Kirtley is next in the pecking order and then even Tudor would come before Kabir Ali in my mind... and that's saying a lot. Before Kabir can expect to be a serious contender for a place, he needs to improve his consistency.
To add to that, Why take someone who isn't currently playing, therefore not good enough to make the team? If he was that good he would be playing against Australia and Sri Lanka. And why take a completly untried player to the biggest cricketing prize, it's both unfair to put the player and team under anymore pressure.

Ali has looked good in County Cricket, but needs more experiance in lesser matches than the World Cup...

I heard that after the World Cup England plan to scrap the notes and start again with the team from the drawing board, so expect a different looking side(s) for the Zim/SA series.