• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* The Zimbabwe Situation

What should the outcome be?

• The situation's OK - if it were me I'd go

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • They should be allowed to miss, but share points

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • If they choose to not play, they should forfeit the points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Does it really matter as Aus will win the World Cup regardless

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
I'd say both, depribe him of what he craves, attention, and soon his wheels will fall off.
No one paid any attention to him for the most of his political career and that has kept him twenty years at the helm....so your logic pretty much goes out the door.

That's not the point.Western media reports are telling a story....how much of it is fact and how much fiction needs to be ascertained by the Governments and not public opinion, as far as policy decisions are concerned.If found guilty then the first thing that needs to be done is to build a consensus at a political level among the nations and Zim can be ostracized like SA in the seventies/eighties.

The calls for boycott in cricket are ridiculous with the Governments unwilling to even bring up the issue at the international level politically.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
aussie_beater said:
No one paid any attention to him for the most of his political career and that has kept him twenty years at the helm....so your logic pretty much goes out the door.

That's not the point.Western media reports are telling a story....how much of it is fact and how much fiction needs to be ascertained by the Governments and not public opinion, as far as policy decisions are concerned.If found guilty then the first thing that needs to be done is to build a consensus at a political level among the nations and Zim can be ostracized like SA in the seventies/eighties.

The calls for boycott in cricket are ridiculous with the Governments unwilling to even bring up the issue at the international level politically.
Yeah, as far as this WC is concerned, Australia and England should play in Zim.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Yeah, as far as this WC is concerned, Australia and England should play in Zim.
Since when has Cricket taken presidence over polatics?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie_beater said:

Look, Zimbabwe is an unstable country, if a bomb went off then it would be like NZ in Pakistan not long ago. It's not a safe place. Also Mugabe will get a lot of attention if his country gets to joint-host the World Cup, he may not have had that much attention before but this is his chance to show he means buisness. So don't let him.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, it's a safe place. It's as safe as South Africa, the UK or the USA.

He had plenty of attention over the 'election' period but no-one cared then - so why should it matter now.

Let's go and beat them!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Yes, it's a safe place. It's as safe as South Africa, the UK or the USA.

He had plenty of attention over the 'election' period but no-one cared then - so why should it matter now.

Let's go and beat them!
So safe that people in small villages like the child my mum sponsers lives in, are threatened to vote for him or face death...that doesn't sound safe. A guy who I know who's uncle lives there says it's only safe in Harare, not Bulawayo...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If they go ahead out there, it'll be interesting to see how many jounalists are allowed to enter the country.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
If they go ahead out there, it'll be interesting to see how many jounalists are allowed to enter the country.
Not many's my bet.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
So safe that people in small villages like the child my mum sponsers lives in, are threatened to vote for him or face death...that doesn't sound safe. A guy who I know who's uncle lives there says it's only safe in Harare, not Bulawayo...
Don't you think that if there was really a safety problem, then a few more teams would be even a little bit concerned?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Look, Zimbabwe is an unstable country, if a bomb went off then it would be like NZ in Pakistan not long ago. It's not a safe place.
When did a bomb go off in one of the major cities in Zim ?

There may be political strife, but its ridiculous to compare it to the NZ situation in Pakistan last year.Nothing of the sort has happened in Zim.No other country except Australia and England seem to be concerned. What does that mean ?

Every country has hoodlums running around in the streets.Some years ago when Pak was touring SA, a test match had to be postponed because one Pakistani player was mugged on the streets or something like that.That sort of security issues exist all over the world.If its more then that in Zim, then the respective Govts. should take an overall stance politically and not for cricket only.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Since when has Cricket taken presidence over polatics?
Some spelling you got there pal.. :lol: :lol:

Cricket does not have to take precedence over politics, but when the politicians try to fire all their salvos using cricket as the only launch vehicle, its bad. That's what the Australian and English Govts. are trying to do. If it was a policy across the board, then its a different story.

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Rik said:
Look, Zimbabwe is an unstable country, if a bomb went off then it would be like NZ in Pakistan not long ago. It's not a safe place. Also Mugabe will get a lot of attention if his country gets to joint-host the World Cup, he may not have had that much attention before but this is his chance to show he means buisness. So don't let him.
And which county is totally secure?? Not long ago NY lost 1000's of people yet life continues over there.Pakistan just completed a test and Oneday series in Zimbabwe and nothing happened.

Security is not a question and people should stop making fuss about it. If Australia and England doesn't play the matches over there then it will be bad for cricket.Also England would lose point by not playing the match against Zimbabwe and would then fail to make it to the super six!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie_beater said:
Some spelling you got there pal.. :lol: :lol:
Some cheek you've got there, I wrote that at like 3 in the morning, would you still be spelling that well then?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Some cheek you've got there, I wrote that at like 3 in the morning, would you still be spelling that well then?
I won't be writing anything at 3 in the morning 'coz I'd be too drunk or sleepy for that, with writing here being the last thing on my mind... :lol: :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Yes.

Now get back to the topic.

Which is Zimbabwe and the Cricket World Cup.
When you've stayed up that late for the last month?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie_beater said:
I won't be writing anything at 3 in the morning 'coz I'd be too drunk or sleepy for that, with writing here being the last thing on my mind... :lol: :lol:
Yeah...well I'm usually both drunk and bored! And listening to the Test.