• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four teams for the semi-finals!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
My Final 4...

Aust - 99.9% certain
SA - as abaove
NZ - Always rise in WC's
WI/Eng/Pak - whoever handles the lesser nations better, all are capable but can struggle against Kenya etc..

Choora

State Regular
Originally posted by marc71178
There are no guarantees in oneday cricket.Each and every team that enters the semis will have a chance, one bad game and you are out of the tour, even the best of team can lose to an inferior team on a bad day!
Getting excuses in early?
Excuses for what???????? U said that getting in the semis doesn't guaranty a victory to India coz of choking or so, and i explained it 2 you that getting into semis doesn't guarantees a victory 2 any of the 4 teams, as one team can lose 2 an inferior team on a bad day!

howzthat

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by anilramavarma
Aus and SA are near certainties in the semis barring major shocks. The other 2 semi-finalists should come from Ind, NZ, Pak, SL, WI, Eng more or less in that order of probability.
Well recently Pakistan have been doing extremely well against NZ,WI and England , while against SL its almost even.
However it all depends on how Pakistan perform in SA , if they do well , then they will be hard to beat in WC, however if they struggle in SA, then they might even struggle to go past the super six in WC!

OZOZ

Cricket Spectator
I think the semi final line up will be similar to the one we had in '99 WC, with Australia, SA , Pakistan and New Zealand.
I expect Aus/proteas and Pak to make it to the semis, while Black caps also has a good chance.

The final will either be between Australia and SA, or Australia and Pakistan, winner ofcourse will be Australia!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe, the group match is certain to happen, the knockout match is not. Even if they lose the group match, they can still make the super 6 and the semis and in a knockout, the result can be reversed(if infact they meet). It can also go the other way, sure, but Indians are capable of beating Australians in SA, that's all what I am saying.
If they lose the Group Match, it makes it a lot harder in the Super 6 stage because of the carry forward - I like that, means a team needs to play well throughout the Tournament...

India maybe capable of beating Aus in SA, but in one day Cricket all teams are capable of beating each other, and I can honestly say I could see India not qualifying for the Super 6's, but I could also see them in the final!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well recently Pakistan have been doing extremely well against NZ,WI and England , while against SL its almost even.
However it all depends on how Pakistan perform in SA , if they do well , then they will be hard to beat in WC, however if they struggle in SA, then they might even struggle to go past the super six in WC!
Or even get there - it looks to me like that group comes down to the 3 games between Eng, Pak and Ind - barring Bangladesh-type defeats of course!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno why Choora thinks that South Africa will definatly choke in the World Cup and let India beat them. You know, the more you say it the less chance they have...the jinx effect ya know...:P

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
okay time to be a bit realistic. Whoever thinks that Pakistan are not poised to get to the Semi finals..
Of the 6 World Cups played uptill now, Pakistan have played in four of the semi finals. two of which they won. They did not make it in 75 and 96 (got beaten at the quarter finals). They are a much better team now then back then, so there is every chance of making to the semi finals... Obviously this is an observation in retrospect and of course I know that It will be tough against Australia, England and India. If however they find any kind of form in the WC (which historically they have) I think England and India will find life difficult, maybe as in 99 Australia will get one in the face, still I will never and can never establish a surity, no one can !

Also an Interesting fact that India have beaten Pakistan in every World cup meeting. This time therefore will be more tension filled and exciting then any I can imagine (Perhaps the one in 96 comes close)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
It's not that difficult to guess.....Pakistan vs England *group match* Pakistan crumble for something like 73 ?......it rains....both share one pt.....later Pakistan return to defeat them for the trophy....:frog:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Eclipse
You are right in saying India are capable of beating Australia in SA but Australia are still even more capable of beating India.

India can and are capable of doing it but an Australian Victory is more likley.
Oh I agree. Just don't write India off against Australia before the match begins especially in a one day match. They always have a chance. If it was a test in SA or Aus, I probably would have written India off before you did.

Originally posted by marc71178
Pakistan may have won it in 92, but they very very lucky to get out of the group stages...
I think if a team was lucky indeed then it was Australia in '99, i mean SA should have been in the finals, the semi should have been won by SA, Klusener and Donald really gifted the match to the Aussies

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That was luck caused by the legendary SA choking and the pressure Aussies put them under.

Pakistan 92 was luck caused by freak weather.

Choora

State Regular
Originally posted by Rik
I dunno why Choora thinks that South Africa will definatly choke in the World Cup and let India beat them. You know, the more you say it the less chance they have...the jinx effect ya know...:P

Because SA will be playing infront of home crowd , it means pressure and thats what is keeping Pollock worried(though he has claimed that they will handle the pressure well).
It isn't necessary that India will meet the SA in the semis or final, but whichever team meet them will have a better chance to win the battle!

As for jinx, as someone said earlier, it is more likely 2 effect English cricketers.3-0 down to Aus with half the squad injured, by the end it will be 5-0 2 Aus and England cricket Board have additional problem ofdealing with hospital bills:lol::lol::lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Gotchya
It's not that difficult to guess.....Pakistan vs England *group match* Pakistan crumble for something like 73 ?......it rains....both share one pt.....later Pakistan return to defeat them for the trophy....:frog:
That 1 point put them into the semi finals ahead of Australia - I suppose it's not all doom and gloom when you look at it like that though! :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Choora, you keep saying South Africa Will choke, but what if they don't?