• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four teams for the semi-finals!

Choora

State Regular
You have 2 follow a discussion to be able to come up with a sensible reply, i don't have 2 mention the name of the venue every time 2 enable you 2 stick 2 the point.

The whole discussion started when Bizzare came up with following statement:

"Actually I was responding to YOUR comment about pitches in NZ. And I do believe England would have done better on that pitch. Can't be worse than the ones we played on and Hussain got a fantastic ton I seem to recall! "

Note the word "that pitch" .He was talking about a particular test match at a particular venue!!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Hang on...which nationality are you?
How does that matter ? Sharks don't realy care :lol: .....I am an Indian, if you must know.

Sorry they can't swim as well as us Brits...being surounded by Water helps a lot...but being drunk and not being able to spell doesn't :(
Don't know about the swimming part.... but the English team could have used a drink and mispelled the word deluge and see if that gave any comfort :lol: :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't mention anything about Hussain's Ton, that was another Brit, anyway you can claim you can mention the pitch but not the venue...no one mentioned the Venue...

Choora

State Regular
Rik said:
I didn't mention anything about Hussain's Ton, that was another Brit, anyway you can claim you can mention the pitch but not the venue...no one mentioned the Venue...

When did i claim that you started all that ?? i mean had you done so you would have known better!
Yes noone mentioned the venue, nor was it essential 2 do so.Everyone knows where India played the first test match, those who doesn't even know this simple fact shouldn't even post anything related 2 that test match!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Choora said:
When did i claim that you started all that ?? i mean had you done so you would have known better!
Yes noone mentioned the venue, nor was it essential 2 do so.Everyone knows where India played the first test match, those who doesn't even know this simple fact shouldn't even post anything related 2 that test match!
Therefore you can't complain about anything I said...

Choora

State Regular
Rik said:
Therefore you can't complain about anything I said...
Certainly the below mentioned statements were avoidable as it did not contributed to the discussion that was taking place.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, but if you are going to continue with your tactic of telling people to get their stats right then you had better get yours sorted too

Tuffey indeed played against England for New Zealand in January and took career best figures of 6-54 in the last Test of the Series to win the Test for New Zealand and draw the Series.

It's not hard is it
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway i have nothing more to say on this topic.

Comming back to the original topic, i think NZ stand a very good chance of making it to the semis.

The 4 likely could be
Aus
SA
NZ
India.

Others that can pose a problems to the stronger teams can be
WI and SL.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SRTgrSDB said:
The last time he tried to correct your grammer, he made several spelling mistakes himself!!
:rolleyes:

I would be surprised if SL made the semis the way things are going at the moment, the whole team seems bereft of confidence - they are sorely missing Murali, and I'm not sure that even he can make enough differene by February.

If SL are to make any impression in the comming WC, then Murali will have to play extremely well for them.Wonder if Muralia can perform on Afrikan pitches?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In Kenya he has 10 wickets in 5 ODIs @ 17.40
In Zimbabwe, 7 in 5 @ 19.57
In S.Africa, 23 in 16 @ 27.00
(and vs S.Africa, 36 in 24 @ 22.77)

In Africa, 40 in 26 @ 23.30.
Compared to his total of 297 in 200 @ 23.28

I would say from this that bowling on African pitches doesn't affect him that much...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, I knew someone was going to point that out...

But a fair proportion of his other games will have been against lesser sides, hence the average of ~23.

That's why I put his average against SA there (22.8). I know that doesn't prove much as it includes neutral and SL games, but even taking the 27 he averages in South Africa, it's still effective.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's all very well, but surely more appropriate would be his average in South Africa against South Africa?

That is a decidedly unhealthy (for him) 31.46.

Maybe Sri Lanka will be the real flops of this Tournament?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Erm.. couldn't find that.

I only looked at the Career Summary page on StatsGuru, lazy me.

What odds on Sri Lanka not making the Super Six? NZ and WI are in form currently and Sri Lanka aren't, it seems very plausible to me.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Thing is, Murali is SL, and they don't really have any other world class players with bat or ball.

Jayasuriya is for me a waste of time.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, but I said world class - neither of those are anywhere near world class.
Are you saying that going by current form or on overall career ? For DeSilva I'd agree with you on his current form as he is in the twilight of his career.

But there is no denying that he was one the best batsman of the nineties and by far the best batsman that SL has ever produced.